Honest review of popular Sunshine problems (April 23-28, Five night Bahamas)

beckzay

I'm not going to do a detailed picture review because, honestly, I have the same pictures everyone else has :) I will give you my thoughts and experiences with the usual things that are frequently brought up about the Sunshine.

We were a group of 6. Myself (age 41), husband (40), our boy/girl twins (23), son's girlfriend (22) and our daughter (16). Mine and my husbands 5th cruise, everyone elses first cruise.

CROWDS/LAYOUT

This is a frequent problem discussed about the Sunshine. Our sailing sailed to capacity. There were about 1100 children onboard I heard. We didn't have any unusual problems with crowds on this ship. The only time we got frustrated with them was during muster drill but that's expected. Muster drill is awful anyway, lol. Yes, there were a lot of people around but we were on a Carnival cruise during spring break time...we expected there to be a lot of people. It didn't effect our vacation the least bit. We also didn't have a problem with the layout. Actually, it was a pretty easy ship to get around on. Everything was centrally located inside and the deck space was perfectly broken up into Serenity area and family/sports deck area. If you want to have a quiet place on deck just go all the way forward on Serenity or anywhere on deck 3 where there are plenty of chairs and loungers.

Getting off at a tender port was very organized too, I like the new system where you have to get a ticket with a number and then wait for your number to be called to board the tender. On this sailing, they didn't seem to be checking your number to see if you could board the tender yet though so take that for what it's worth ;) Embarkation and disembarkation was very organized too, no problems there.

ANYTIME DINING/FOOD

Food is subjective so I won't go into detail about how it tasted, which for us was very good! I didn't have to cook it or clean it up so I guess I'm not that hard to please. We did't try any specialty restaurants except sushi which was pretty good. Nothing exceptional, just good (and inexpensive). We ate at the buffet for breakfast every morning and they had your basics with a few things that changed daily. Definitely plenty of choices! Try the french toast with blueberry sauce on top...yummy! We ate lunch at the buffet, Guys burger, Burrito/taco bar, pasta bar, pizza, salad bar and deli. It was easy and quick. If the lines appear long, don't worry, they move super fast. For dinner we chose anytime dining for the 6 of us. We ate around 7 every night and requested our same server (Margarita) every night. We never waited except on formal night and it was only a 10 minute wait. No problem though, because we enjoyed a drink at Alchemy bar while we waited which is right there where you check in for dining. I personally loved the set up for anytime dining and how you check in on deck 5 at Ocean Plaza and then all you do is walk down the stairs to deck 3 for the dining room. Dining service was good to excellent for us. Our service team was very busy but attended to us perfectly. Drink service was fast as we had a server that only took drink orders for us in addition to our main server and assistant server/busser. Be prepared though, dinner service was anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. It's supposed to be. We enjoyed each others company and enjoyed our food and were in no rush to hurry the process up. Only one night out of the 5 that we didn't go to the main dining room for dinner and that was because we wanted to eat quickly that night to enjoy the ship a little more.

We only had 1 problem on this vacation and it wasn't even much of a problem. My husband ordered the surf and turf in the main dining room one night, which had a $20 surcharge. It was advertised as Maine lobster. Being from New England we don't like warm water lobster and would never order anything if it wasn't Maine lobster. Well, it came and it definitely wasn't Maine lobster. We all tried a little bite just to see everyone's thoughts and my husband only ate not even half of the filet because that was just "ok" too. He complained and we sort of thought they would take the $20 charge off but they didn't. They even admitted that it wasn't Maine lobster. The maitre de even called the head chef person and told him that it wasn't Maine lobster. I know, it probably seems a little petty to all of you who aren't from new england but there is definitely a difference in Maine lobster and warm water lobster! Oh well...lesson learned...don't order "Maine" lobster on carnival ever.

DECK SPACE/CHAIR HOGS

This was my biggest fear about this ship. From reading all the reviews I had visions of us not being able to lay out on deck when we wanted to. We had one sea day on this sailing and I wanted to lay out all day! I'm happy to report, that even with a full ship, we never had a problem finding any chairs or loungers on deck. Both on the main pool deck and serenity we had no problems any time, even on sea day. We found options in the sun and in the shade every time. There were people that had their stuff on chairs very early in the morning but only on the loungers that were right around the pool at Serenity. Clam shells were popular and usually had people in them but we found some open ones a few times and enjoyed them. Same with the hammocks.

COMEDY CLUB

This is a hot topic on this ship. We went to 3 comedy shows, each on different nights. The first night we just stumbled upon the comedy club while walking around and it was almost halfway into the show. We walked right in and easily found a seat for the 5 of us (my 16 yr old wasn't with us). The other nights we either walked in just as it was starting or 10 minutes before. The night we walked in as it started it was standing room only and we stood towards the back, at the bar. It was fine though, the show was entertaining and doesn't even last that long. If you need to sit though, be there early. We were able to find a seat the night we arrived 10 min early.

This has nothing to do with the comedy club, but I wanted to add here that if the comedy club is too crowded for you just go right down the hall to the piano bar. Probably the best kept secret onboard! If you have never been...GO. So much fun!

ENTERTAINMENT

This is subjective also. We never sat through an entire show in the liquid lounge. Not because it sucked, but because it was never a priority for us to get there and see a show. We saw a little bit of 3 different shows. All seemed good, and lots of costumes, lights, dancing and singing. It was entertaining and enjoyable but probably lost on us. None of us really are passionate about live, show-type, theater productions.

Emma, the cruise director, was great. Not obnoxious, she was informative but not invasive. She had a lot of energy when needed and was calmer when it was warranted, like at muster drill.

Piano bar was SO fun. Eden was great!!

Dj by the pool was good, played a nice mix of deck music. There was plenty of live music around the ship all the time. Many people were sitting around and listening, enjoying drinks and company.

There was so much going on around this ship you won't be disappointed.

BAR SERVICE

Here's a word of advice...just be patient. The bartenders on this ship were BUSY! The were doing the best they could. I saw so many people get mad at them that they had to wait for a drink for a few minutes. Seriously, it's not like the bartenders were sitting around doing nothing! You're on a ship where almost everyone is ordering tropical mixed drinks, it takes a few minutes to make.

The two bars on the main pool deck are always busy! The servers walking around the pool deck ordering drinks are going to take much longer than if you were to go up to the bar yourself. We tip $1 cash almost every time. Every time for a mixed or frozen drink, almost every time for a beer. It definitely helps the bartenders (who are the same ones every day at each bar) remember you and possibly get to you sooner. By the second day, the server at the blue iguana bar knew what we drank and we had no problem getting 2 drinks at once if only one of us was there. We had cheers and brought both cards. Usually both of you have to be there.

Drinks weren't weak and we always saw the bartenders measuring the appropriate amount of alcohol. Some reviews have said that they experienced weaker drinks with the cheers package...this wasn't the case for us and I can't see how that would be the case if they were measuring and making drinks even before they took your card and could see you had cheers.

MISC.

The service and crew on this ship was outstanding. Our room steward was fine, nothing great or special, but he was there and did his job just fine. The first night they ask you what service you prefer...morning, night or both.

The one complaint I would have is that there is not enough pool space on this ship for sailings with a lot of kids. We basically couldn't even get in the main pool all week because there were just so many kids in it. Also, the serenity pool gets super packed!

This ship is meant for longer sailings than 5 days I think. Before we sailed we had plans to do everything (ropes course, water slides, mini golf, pool table, twister, corn hole, shows, arcade, etc.). We only go to a few of those things. We never got on the waterslides even though they were open every day until 6 and only once looked like the lines were long. We did do the ropes course without any wait. The sports square deck was always crowded, probably due to the amount of kids on this sailing.

That's all I can think of right now, I'm sure I forgot something. If you have any questions at all about anything just ask. I'm fresh off so I'll probably remember :)

Thanks for your review! I was on board this sailing also and thought it was not sailing at capacity. We even asked! LOL I didnt notice that it seemed filled with kids either. We LOVED this ship...didnt wait long for anything ...including drinks at the bar. Just adding 2 cents to help people out that are reading mixed reviews of this ship in other threads

Thanks for your review! I was on board this sailing also and thought it was not sailing at capacity. We even asked! LOL I didnt notice that it seemed filled with kids either. We LOVED this ship...didnt wait long for anything ...including drinks at the bar. Just adding 2 cents to help people out that are reading mixed reviews of this ship in other threads

We loved it too!! We'd sail on her again definitely! There was so much we didn't get to doing. We didn't wait for anything either, other than leaving muster drill. Glad you had a great cruise, like us :)

You make a good point about the bar service, the wait times can be bad depending on the location and time of day. I've run into that on almost every ship. The mixed drinks slow everything down, as does the clunky computer system most ships use. As a beer drinker, I really appreciate it when some of the ships set up a portable beer station. They're usually on the pool deck on sea days, but they're really great for cutting down wait times.

Thanks for your review. I have been considering this ship for a future cruise, so always interested in people's experience. I agree with you on the lobster on Carnival. It is not Maine Lobster! I hail from east coast Canada originally, and know the difference. I have eaten the lobster tails on Carnival before, and some were just ok, and others a bit better, but definitely not Maine lobster, and I would not pay extra for lobster on Carnival, knowing that it is warm water lobster. I just wish they would stop calling what they serve Maine lobster. Ok, off my soap box lol! Thanks again for your review.

Thanks so much for the detailed honest review. The wife and I sail the Sunshine in just under 2 weeks out of Charleston SC 5/15/17 on a 10 day E Carribbean itenary. I booked a interior room when I called to try to upgrade was told the ship is sailing at capacity so great to read your review as to what we can expect on a full ship.

Excellent review. We are on the Sunshine for 8 days starting on Saturday!! Can't wait. We had concerns about everything we had heard about the Sunshine, so your review restores our confidence that this is going to be an awesome vacation.

Great review! Almost could have written it myself. I too read all the fears of crowding and no loungers on deck to be found. And how one must arrive at the comedy club two days early to get a seat. None of this was true in either of our Sunshine cruises (we did a 10 day cruise and a five day on Sunshine last year).

Good review...we have cruised on the Sunshine 4x and will be cruising on her this September out of NY. First time on her we hated it but came to love her as time went on and we learned the ins and outs.

Cheers and happy cruising.

I was on her a year ago with a large group from CC and fb. Had a good time. Packed on Lido by pool. I like the layout for the most part as well as all the food venues.

About 10 people in the group got sick during the trip. I got sick on day 7 of the 8 day trip. Had no appetite at all, next day I was totally fatigued. Some in the group ended up in the hospital. I had practiced strict no hand shaking. I was sick for 2 months and lost 20 lbs.