Sea Shells at Grand Turk

Wrong animals live in old seashell, spiral shells are expecially important for the ecosystem, many sea life will die if they can't find the perfect shell to live in. I studied marine biology in college and seen first hand the effect of tourism and shell collecting. Personally I think people should leave the shells where they are so that the Animals that need them can find them. I would only buy them from the permitted shops and only the legal limit. But I care about other peoples environment, and seek to respect the laws and land that I visit
Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what you studied in college. Obviously you're not a marine biologist or you'd surely make it known. If I studied art, would it qualify me to be a curator at the Louvre? Those conch shells are dumped on the beach (not in the water) by the local restaurateurs. Nothing lives in them that needs them to survive. The only things large enough that need to reuse a conch shell to survive are giant hermit crabs. There aren't dozens of giant hermit crabs looking for shells in the conch graveyard on Grand Turk. Besides, the shells in the graveyard have holes drilled in them from harvesting the conch and I'd venture to say that even if a giant hermit crab wanted it, it wouldn't use it because of these holes. You said you'd buy them from shops. Where do you think they get theirs? Not from the conch graveyard, because they have holes in them. As I said, those who sell conch for consumption or their shells have a far greater impact than a relatively small number of people who try to take a shell home.

Also, if you clean your house, there may be animals there that you can't see. Save the microbials!

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what you studied in college. Obviously you're not a marine biologist or you'd surely make it known. If I studied art, would it qualify me to be a curator at the Louvre? Those conch shells are dumped on the beach (not in the water) by the local restaurateurs. Nothing lives in them that needs them to survive. The only things large enough that need to reuse a conch shell to survive are giant hermit crabs. There aren't dozens of giant hermit crabs looking for shells in the conch graveyard on Grand Turk. Besides, the shells in the graveyard have holes drilled in them from harvesting the conch and I'd venture to say that even if a giant hermit crab wanted it, it wouldn't use it because of these holes. You said you'd buy them from shops. Where do you think they get theirs? Not from the conch graveyard, because they have holes in them. As I said, those who sell conch for consumption or their shells have a far greater impact than a relatively small number of people who try to take a shell home.

Also, if you clean your house, there may be animals there that you can't see. Save the microbials!

No I changed my major to microbiology. Either way there are laws in place on taking conch shells for a reason. If you want to break the laws that's on you and frankly it's nothing new. People have been ignoring the impact they have on nature forever, expecially when it's someone elses land. And believe me it's far from a few people doing it, one poster said they saw a guy to 2 bags full and 1000s being taken and that's just 1 day. You don't have to take my word for it there are countless studies that show the impact of shell collecting on the ecosystem

No I changed my major to microbiology. Either way there are laws in place on taking conch shells for a reason. If you want to break the laws that's on you and frankly it's nothing new. People have been ignoring the impact they have on nature forever, expecially when it's someone elses land. And believe me it's far from a few people doing it, one poster said they saw a guy to 2 bags full and 1000s being taken and that's just 1 day. You don't have to take my word for it there are countless studies that show the impact of shell collecting on the ecosystem

Although I appreciate your concern for the ecosystem, as I do as well, I think you are missing the point that we are talking about shells from the conch graveyard. These are not shells in their natural habitat. These are shells that otherwise would have been thrown in the trash and have been drilled with holes that mark them as such. I don't know if you have been there but I have and I can tell you that there are far more shells there than can ever be inhabited by creatures looking for a new home. Its not breaking any local laws by taking them since this is a disposal site for them. Whether or not it is breaking Carnival's rules or US Customs rules is the question. As far as breaking US Customs rules....I have shown conch shells from the Caribbean to multiple US Customs officers and not one of them has ever been confiscated.

Tourist 101

Take nothing but pictures

Leave nothing but footprints

Other things to remember

You are a Guest of the host country.

You are an Ambassador of your home country.

Edited by klfrodo

We were just at grand Turk, and I didn't see any decent shells at the beach (right off the cruise ship). I mean nothing even worth looking at. My daughter found some rocks she liked, and we had no trouble bringing them back.

I found several tiny ones at half moon cay that I brought home. Again, didn't ask. Didn't leave them out in the open. No one cared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main conch graveyard is actually around the point from where you were looking. Although many people have found them where you were looking, there are many hundreds more around the point. Sadly, most of them are high up on the beach, tossed there by the vendors and if any living creature was looking for a home in those seashells they would most likely die before they reached them.

I was just in Grand Turk last week and brought an empty conch shell on board with no problem. Our tour guide stopped and gave us them. They were empty, but fresh from the beach, still with sand inside. I just put it in my backpack and walked right on the ship with no problem. Our tour guide did say to put them in our checked luggage and not our carry on, so we did just that. No problem with customs either.

So you declared it?????

They don't get it. I know precisely what you are talking about. there are numerous problems with non native invasive organisms, that were introduced with the same naive thinking. Rules don't apply to these posters, and no, they don't follow the laws. Sad state of affairs.

Although I appreciate your concern for the ecosystem, as I do as well, I think you are missing the point that we are talking about shells from the conch graveyard. These are not shells in their natural habitat. These are shells that otherwise would have been thrown in the trash and have been drilled with holes that mark them as such. I don't know if you have been there but I have and I can tell you that there are far more shells there than can ever be inhabited by creatures looking for a new home. Its not breaking any local laws by taking them since this is a disposal site for them. Whether or not it is breaking Carnival's rules or US Customs rules is the question. As far as breaking US Customs rules....I have shown conch shells from the Caribbean to multiple US Customs officers and not one of them has ever been confiscated.

Your right I have never been there. So I can't argue with you on that point, but I do know there are laws to how many you can take

My wife and I grabbed some small sea shells from the beach directly off of where the ship docked. They were nothing special, pretty small shells honestly. We gathered enough of them that when we brought them home we bought some white sand and put them in a glass jar for decoration in our bathroom. Guess we were lucky they let us on board with those according to some of these posts. I had no idea.......

My wife and I grabbed some small sea shells from the beach directly off of where the ship docked. They were nothing special, pretty small shells honestly. We gathered enough of them that when we brought them home we bought some white sand and put them in a glass jar for decoration in our bathroom. Guess we were lucky they let us on board with those according to some of these posts. I had no idea.......
My son grabbed a couple small shells and a dead piece of coral from the area on the south side of the pier. They were in his swimming trunks pocket so the crew had no idea he had them. As much as some here want to portray shell collectors as monsters :rolleyes: the hobby has been around forever and the world's oceans aren't at risk because of it.

My son grabbed a couple small shells and a dead piece of coral from the area on the south side of the pier. They were in his swimming trunks pocket so the crew had no idea he had them. As much as some here want to portray shell collectors as monsters :rolleyes: the hobby has been around forever and the world's oceans aren't at risk because of it.

But that's not true many ecosystems are suffering, beaches are at risk. Sea life is at risk. Plus you do know taking any coral is illegal

They don't get it. I know precisely what you are talking about. there are numerous problems with non native invasive organisms, that were introduced with the same naive thinking. Rules don't apply to these posters, and no, they don't follow the laws. Sad state of affairs.
Can you please cite examples of damage done to an ecosystem due to beach goers collecting shells and taking them home? We're not talking about indigenous animals hitching a ride inside fruit crates aboard a shipping vessel bound for another country. We're not talking about the illegal import of exotic animals into the U.S. that are later released, spread, and devastate native wildlife (e.g. Florida's Burmese python problem). They're just seashells.

But that's not true many ecosystems are suffering, beaches are at risk. Sea life is at risk. Plus you do know taking any coral is illegal
As I asked the last person, feel free to cite examples of beaches at risk due to shell collecting.

Would you like to turn my son over to the authorities? He deserves to have the book thrown at him for grabbing that 2 inch piece of dead coral laying on the beach.

Can you please cite examples of damage done to an ecosystem due to beach goers collecting shells and taking them home? We're not talking about indigenous animals hitching a ride inside fruit crates aboard a shipping vessel bound for another country. We're not talking about the illegal import of exotic animals into the U.S. that are later released, spread, and devastate native wildlife (e.g. Florida's Burmese python problem). They're just seashells.

No where talking about CITES, the international law that protects endangered species, one way to protect endangered species is to limit or forbid people there died body or parts. And your son taking coral is not the issue, multiple that by 1000s. Why didn't you take that moment to teach your young son about the law and why it's there? People's impact on the environment is not small, it not "no big deal"

I will attach a couple of pics I took at the "conch graveyard" when we were in Grand Turk in 2010. We have not been back since, so I don't know what it's like now. When we were there, most of the shells were calcified, bleached white (some were gray), and had no animal or any animal residue in them. They either had holes at the top (which would partially expose a hermit crab's insides that they wrap through a shell's spire) or had the whole top part (spire) cut off to harvest the original animal. These aren't washed onto the beach from the water, they are dumped there after animal is removed. As I said in an earlier post, we each brought one back (two total) and both were from this "graveyard". We had no problems getting them on the ship (this was allowed by Carnival at the time) and we had no problems bringing them back into the US through customs.

A friend of mine loves to collect shells and went to Turks and Caicos (Providenciales, at an A/I resort) in June of 2016. One of the tours offered through the resort she stayed at (was either the "Treasure Hunt" or "Scavenger Hunt", forget which one it was actually called) was to a deserted island off the coast, where there were empty conch shells and other smaller shells, which they were allowed to collect. However, she/others on that tour were told that Turks & Caicos laws permitted three (3) conch shells, per person, to be exported (taken out of the country), without need of a CITES permit. Anyone wanting to take back more than 3 (three) conch would have to get the permit.

For anyone not familiar with the "conch graveyard", attaching two pictures I took while there in 2010.

100_7434.jpg

100_7435.jpg

I think it's obvious from this picture that these shells (from the "graveyard") would not even be usable for large hermit crab. These either have fairly large holes or are broken in some way.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

No where talking about CITES, the international law that protects endangered species, one way to protect endangered species is to limit or forbid people there died body or parts. And your son taking coral is not the issue, multiple that by 1000s. Why didn't you take that moment to teach your young son about the law and why it's there? People's impact on the environment is not small, it not "no big deal"

Here's a thought, you raise your child how you want and allow other parents to do the same.

Anyone's claim that they pulled thousands of conch shells from Grand Turk is more than likely beyond exaggeration. There aren't that many that have naturally washed up on shore there and I doubt there are even that many in the "graveyard." Not ones that are whole enough to be worth taking. But as stated many times by many people, any taken from the graveyard aren't impacting squat. They are discarded there as trash and are left for so long (without being used by any marine life) that they eventually break up and erode. As you can see by the post above, Turks & Caicos law (as of last year) allows for three conch per person to be taken. Let's say there's five people in a tour group...that's up to fifteen conch shells allowed in one group alone. And that wasn't even at the Grand Turk "graveyard." If you have such a problem with this, maybe you should take it up with the Turks & Caicos government.

Turks & Caicos law (as of last year) allows for three conch per person to be taken. Let's say there's five people in a tour group...that's up to fifteen conch shells allowed in one group alone. And that wasn't even at the Grand Turk "graveyard." If you have such a problem with this, maybe you should take it up with the Turks & Caicos government.

I don't, I never said I did! I said it was ridiculous that one person had 2 bags full. As long as people are following the law, l have no issues with it.

• 7 months later...

We were in Grand Turk in November and did a little beach combing after our snorkeling excursion. We found some random small pieces of shells, some beach glass, and one small, empty conch, which we did try to take back on board with us. It was all confiscated on the pier by Carnival employees, citing "Department of Agriculture" laws. Sadly, we witnessed them also confiscating shells that were PURCHASED in the gift shops there in port. People even had receipts for them, and STILL they were confiscated and dumped off the end of the pier. One woman had bought a beautiful piece of coral for $40 USD, but there wasn't enough time for her to take it back to the shop to get her money back. Many people who witnessed it felt it was pretty shady and some suspected that the shop owners would later send divers out to retrieve them to re-sell.

Interesting that so many people have had differing experiences with this same issue, in the same port. Why would the rules change from day to day, cruise line to cruise line? :confused:

We were in Grand Turk in November and did a little beach combing after our snorkeling excursion. We found some random small pieces of shells, some beach glass, and one small, empty conch, which we did try to take back on board with us. It was all confiscated on the pier by Carnival employees, citing "Department of Agriculture" laws. Sadly, we witnessed them also confiscating shells that were PURCHASED in the gift shops there in port. People even had receipts for them, and STILL they were confiscated and dumped off the end of the pier. One woman had bought a beautiful piece of coral for $40 USD, but there wasn't enough time for her to take it back to the shop to get her money back. Many people who witnessed it felt it was pretty shady and some suspected that the shop owners would later send divers out to retrieve them to re-sell.

Interesting that so many people have had differing experiences with this same issue, in the same port. Why would the rules change from day to day, cruise line to cruise line? :confused:

Also there in Nov and picked up a small conch. Walked onto the ship with it in my backpack, never questioned, so I am not understanding why anyone would have a problem. Purchases are bagged aren’t they. Or not?

We just stopped at Grand Turk last week on December 11. It was announced over the loudspeaker that shells were not allowed to be brought back onto the ship. Of course, it was also announced that food was not to be taken off the ship - and we all know how that goes, don't we? :rolleyes:

This topic came up on the Grand Turk forum recently.

Carnival's policy, quoted there, specifically allows conch shells to be brought on board, subject to some restrictions (can't contain any trace of an animal or a smell).

People who wish to get conch shells and bring them back on board were advised to print a copy of Carnival's official policy and bring it with them when they go ashore.

Since this thread speaks of Grand Turk specifically, I think many people get their conch shells from the "conch graveyard." It's where the local restaurants dump the empty shells after harvesting the conch for consumption. There is very little to no impact on the ecosystem if taken from here. The locals who harvest them from the ocean for human consumption, as opposed to acquiring them from a farm, have more impact than a tourist looking for a nice souvenir.

Just what qualifications do you have to make this claim? In my experience more than a couple hours visit to an island every couple of years is hardly sufficient to understand the ecosystem and local practices.

T&C, like most Caribbean islands have rules and laws governing the export (by any means, including tourists) of beaches, the contents thereof, wildlife, etc. You are quite free to think these rules and laws silly. You can consider your knowledge and opinion above the law. What you should not do is violate the regulations and/or encourage others to do so.

Stop being selfish. Accept that locals are allowed to determine how they want visitors to behave. Don't like the rules, don't get off the ship.

Here's a thought, you raise your child how you want and allow other parents to do the same.

Anyone's claim that they pulled thousands of conch shells from Grand Turk is more than likely beyond exaggeration. There aren't that many that have naturally washed up on shore there and I doubt there are even that many in the "graveyard." Not ones that are whole enough to be worth taking. But as stated many times by many people, any taken from the graveyard aren't impacting squat. They are discarded there as trash and are left for so long (without being used by any marine life) that they eventually break up and erode. As you can see by the post above, Turks & Caicos law (as of last year) allows for three conch per person to be taken. Let's say there's five people in a tour group...that's up to fifteen conch shells allowed in one group alone. And that wasn't even at the Grand Turk "graveyard." If you have such a problem with this, maybe you should take it up with the Turks & Caicos government.

On taking it up with the Turks and Caicos government.........

If a conch shell was collected from anywhere around the cruise terminal beach and/or the conch graveyard, it was harvested illegally. It is stealing flora or fauna from a national park. And yes, it is illegal. And no, it is not included in your "three shells per person" allowance due to where it was collected.

Here's reference from the official Turks and Caicos visitors page:

https://www.visittci.com/grand-turk/columbus-landfall-national-park

"Included in the national park are many of the best beaches on Grand Turk, including Governor's Beach, Cockburn Town Beach, the Cruise Center Beach (SunRay Beach), Pillory Beach, and English Point."

"As in any protected area in the Turks and Caicos, littering, and the removal of any natural object or historical artefact is illegal"

And if you DO legally collect your conch shells, your are doing it in season right? And I am sure you are filling out the proper customs regulations forms from the Turks and Caicos government, right?

https://www.visittci.com/travel-info/customs-allowances

"Conch shells, whether collected by you or purchased from a shop, require a permit from the Department of Economic and Maritime Affairs to export. This permit can only be obtained during the open season for conch. Other shells, depending on the species and quantity, also require a permit. Corals of any sort cannot be exported legally.

We recommend that you exercise caution when purchasing conch shells, conch jewellery or other conch souvenirs because you must either obtain a permit (which can be a time-consuming process) or will likely have your shells confiscated"

There is a three conch shell limit before requiring the custom form in season, but harvesting from the national park is illegal (which seems to be driving some of the confusion)

https://www.visittci.com/shopping/buying-collecting-exporting-conchs-shells-corals

"However, you must be aware of the export (and import restrictions in your home country) restrictions regarding products (including souvenirs) derived from this animal. It is illegal to export conch outside of the open season (usually 15 July to 15 October) and during the open season a permit is required for more than 3 shells (even for shells and products purchased in shops)."

"The Caribbean, and the Turks and Caicos Islands, has suffered from the overfishing of this animal, and the Queen Conch is now protected under the international CITES Treaty. As such, the exportation of the animal, shell, or souvenirs derived from the shell (such as jewellery and cups), requires a permit.This animal has been listed in the CITES (Appendix II) treaty since 1992, but for many years enforcement of the law was lax and it was possible to purchase (or collect) the shells and export them without issue. However, enforcement has become strict and any conchs found during a customs inspection when leaving the Turks and Caicos Islands will be confiscated. This includes all other conch souvenirs, such as cups, mugs, pearls, and shells purchased at a shop with a valid receipt."

"It is a criminal offence to take shells or coral from any National Park, which can cover much of the coastline in the country"

"To export more than 3 conchs and other certain shells, you can obtain a permit by visiting the Department for Maritime Affairs on Providenciales. It is not possible to obtain permits online. Free permits are granted for tourists to take up to 3 conch shells out of the country during conch open season (usually 16 October to 14 July). During closed season (usually 15 July to 15 October) no conch shells can be exported, and permits will not be granted. Other shells require a permit which varies depending on quantity and species."

As for the coral:

"Coral of any sort cannot be legally taken from the country, and permits will not be granted."

^^This link here is the most helpful on conch related questions when it concerns Grand Turk^^^

Hope this is of assistance. :)