please confirm re bringing bottle of wine

buzz2400

I am bringing a bottle of wine on board. I am under the impression that I would only be charged a corkage fee if brought bottle to dining room. My co worker said her friend was charged a corkage fee for having the bottle in her room. Please confirm that I will not be charged a corkage fee if I drink the wine in my room.

Confirming what Cruise Gal 2017 stated. My fiancé and I each brought on a bottle of wine on last years cruise on Glory, opened it our room, poured a glass and took it to dinner. Never charged a corkage fee.

Edited by Cruiseman38

I am bringing a bottle of wine on board. I am under the impression that I would only be charged a corkage fee if brought bottle to dining room. My co worker said her friend was charged a corkage fee for having the bottle in her room. Please confirm that I will not be charged a corkage fee if I drink the wine in my room.

On Carnival, there is no corkage fee unless you bring the entire bottle of wine to the MDR or specialty restaurant. Take it by the glass anywhere you want with no problems. Just did this on the Vista last month. Other cruise lines charge you a corkage fee just to bring it on board.

Don't forget to bring your own corkscrew.

I have read about people who opened their own bottle, took that whole bottle to dinner with them, and weren't charged the corkage fee, but they are the exception, not the rule. Avoid the fee by just taking a glass. There will be wine glasses in your cabin, just remember to take them back.

Don't forget to bring your own corkscrew.

I have read about people who opened their own bottle, took that whole bottle to dinner with them, and weren't charged the corkage fee, but they are the exception, not the rule. Avoid the fee by just taking a glass. There will be wine glasses in your cabin, just remember to take them back.

Better to bring a bottle with a screw top. We've had corks break before and then we couldn't seal the bottle. The cabin steward will bring a corkscrew if you ask.

And yes, we have taken whole bottles to the MDR and not been charged and other times we've been charged. I would never tell anyone to expect not to get charged if they do that. Sometimes you just get a nice surprise.

Corkage will be charged for each additional bottle of wine brought on after the 1 per cruiser, total of 2 per stateroom. (In other words, if husband and wife each brought a bottle on, they would be free. If hubby brought two on, then corkage would be charged on the second bottle.)

Corkage will be charged for each additional bottle of wine brought on after the 1 per cruiser, total of 2 per stateroom. (In other words, if husband and wife each brought a bottle on, they would be free. If hubby brought two on, then corkage would be charged on the second bottle.)

I don't believe this is correct. I believe if you attempt to bring on more than one bottle of wine per over 21 adult, it will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. Unless something has changed.

No...they do not charge you...we always bring a corkscrew but we have asked our cabin steward for a corkscrew or to open it directly when we forgot one...no problem.....In addition, we get the wine package (they do not charge corkage fees on this package) and have several bottles at one time in our cabin, we have brought a bottle to the MDR and they opened it for us at the table...no corkage fees...

They have no way to determine which bottles are from home and which are from the wine package delivered to cabin during cruise (or brought up from MDR unopened)....no corkage fees

The rule now is only 2 bottles. Other lines follow the policy you mention and Carnival used to but not now.

Where did you get this idea from?

That IS Carnival's old policy. New policy is just 1 bottler per adult. NCL lets you take on wine but charges you a corkage fee.

LOL I wasn't sure. It was said with such certainty. It must have been awhile ago, because it was not the deal on my first Carnival cruise 9 years ago.

Corkage will be charged for each additional bottle of wine brought on after the 1 per cruiser, total of 2 per stateroom. (In other words, if husband and wife each brought a bottle on, they would be free. If hubby brought two on, then corkage would be charged on the second bottle.)[/quote\

this is the rules for either Princess or Holland America or possibly both

The rule now is only 2 bottles. Other lines follow the policy you mention and Carnival used to but not now.

To be specific, it is not 2 bottles per stateroom. It is 1 bottle per person age 21 and older. If you are sailing solo, you will only be allowed 1 bottle at boarding. If you are travelling with 3 other adults in you cabin and they are teetotalers, you can have 4 bottles in your cabin to drink.

As for the person who stated that you won't pay if you carry an unopened bottle to the MDR, per policy, they are incorrect and as I have experienced, it is hit and miss as to whether you will be charged. And they do know which bottles are purchased on board and therefore have already had the corkage fee applied (corkage fee is part of the cost of buying a bottle on board).

You won't be charged the fee if you open in your room. Actually out of all my trip I've only been charged once in the MDR. Other times the waiter let it slide, or I even just started opening myself under the table. Most times they don't really care, I think.

Review the policy for wine as a carry-on before you trust this post. The limit of wine is a 750ml bottle per person over 21 regardless of how many passengers per stateroom. There is no option for additional on Carnival.

The posts describing opening your wine in the stateroom and bringing your own glass are correct. Simply stop at the lobby bar and ask for wine glasses. Take them to dinner with you or anywhere else on the ship a glass is appropriate. The exception would be around the pool.

The corkage fee has nothing to do with whether or not the bottle has an actual cork, it's a service charge. Enforcement of the policy is widely variable.

Thank you for all your responses. For some reason I thought all the cruise lines were the same with respect to opening wine in the statement. My co-worker did go on the NCL. Thanks again.

As others have posted, open the bottle in your room and pour in the wine glasses. Don't forget the corkscrew.:rolleyes:

On my first cruise I took the opened bottle with me to MDR.... Come to find out, if you do take the bottle to the MDR, CCL is supposed to charge the corkage fee. Our waiter brought this up to our attention and explained it to us, and we were lucky enough that at the end he didn't add the corkage fee to our account.

You won't be charged the fee if you open in your room. Actually out of all my trip I've only been charged once in the MDR. Other times the waiter let it slide, or I even just started opening myself under the table. Most times they don't really care, I think.

As per Carnival policy, the corkage fee applies to any bottle not purchased on board, opened yourself or not. Whether your wait staff chooses to adhere to this policy is hit or miss. I don't think it's fair to tell someone they won't be charged if they open it themselves, because plenty of people are charged and you might be walking someone into a situation they weren't prepared for. So unless they want to try their luck, or ask their head waiter how he/she feels about it, I would recommend just taking a glass to dinner.