Seeking honest assessments of the Grand Princess

elycelynne

I think I remember seeing that some of the public rooms have received some refreshing and I know that the cabins have the new beds. However, I've seen some reviews that mention the shabby condition of the cabin furniture and the cabins themselves as well as other areas of the ship.

So I'm basically looking for other opinions from those who have sailed her recently. Are conditions really that bad, or do people have too high expectations? I was on the Royal approximately three months ago and knowing that it's a much newer ship I wouldn't hold the Grand to those standards; however, I would hope that it's reasonably well-maintained.

Thanks in advance! :D

I think I remember seeing that some of the public rooms have received some refreshing and I know that the cabins have the new beds. However, I've seen some reviews that mention the shabby condition of the cabin furniture and the cabins themselves as well as other areas of the ship.

So I'm basically looking for other opinions from those who have sailed her recently. Are conditions really that bad, or do people have too high expectations? I was on the Royal approximately three months ago and knowing that it's a much newer ship I wouldn't hold the Grand to those standards; however, I would hope that it's reasonably well-maintained.

We were on the Grand many years ago (5) and it was showing signs of ageing back then. Not that is was in poor shape but compared to the Royal it needed work for sure. If it were a toss up between a newer ship and the Grand it definitively wouldn't be my first choice. As I recall there was lots of rust on the balconies (we had to change rooms B2B), furniture (carpets, chair cushions, pool chairs, etc needed replacements back then. I'm sure they've replaced all that by now.

We've been spoiled by the newer ships & try to sail them as much as possible during the winter season because of items like this.

Got off The Grand a couple weeks ago. She recently had a light refurbishing during a recent dry dock. Carpets looked good, new mattresses, new chairs/tables in the Lido. The only thing that I felt was overlooked in the recent dry dock was that they didn't replace the furniture or chairs in the Wheelhouse bar (very much in need of replacement) and still have the teeny-tiny chairs/two-seaters outside of the Wheelhouse--Crooners walkway. I can honestly say, I've grown tired of The Grand. I would love to see one of the newer ships come over to the west coast.

Got off The Grand a couple weeks ago. She recently had a light refurbishing during a recent dry dock. Carpets looked good, new mattresses, new chairs/tables in the Lido. The only thing that I felt was overlooked in the recent dry dock was that they didn't replace the furniture or chairs in the Wheelhouse bar (very much in need of replacement) and still have the teeny-tiny chairs/two-seaters outside of the Wheelhouse--Crooners walkway. I can honestly say, I've grown tired of The Grand. I would love to see one of the newer ships come over to the west coast.

They have had the Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire and the crown on the west coast since 2004. We have sailed on all but the Ruby to Mexico. The only older ship we have sailed on was the Dawn out of San Francisco twice and we loved her. A ship does not have to be new to be great. One of my favorite ships of all time was Carnival's Holiday, the design was wonder and her character was warm and friendly. This will be my first time on the Grand and I am excited to be on an older ship.

Whatever the shape of the Grand I'm just hoping they don't send it back to Florida next year.

Maybe Australia will like it for a while. :cool:

I was on Grand Princess in December 2012, so a year and a half after her previous "refresh" where the Piazza features were added and Skywalker's removed. Anyone thinking about booking Grand now that a new refresh was done in December should have no worries. The new improvements will look smart but the rest of the ship will in no way suffer by comparison--except to someone who chooses to look only for the negatives. In our cabin one of the two bedside lamps was obviously cobbled together from spare parts. But we find such kitsch amusing rather than an excuse to criticize.

It has gotten a little over the top how many reviewers expect every ship to have "new ship smell" and while they claim they can "overlook" the fact they chose an "older" ship for their cruise, their one- or two-star review is nothing but a list of complaints about the little things they still believe they have overlooked! I'll bet that one of the recent negative posts you came across was the one declaring the atrium area in desperate need of upgrading. But as noted, the International Cafe, Vines and Alfredo's were just added in the 2011 refit--so they are the most-recently constructed of those venues on the Grand-class ships. Thus the credibility of most reviews, in a nutshell.

Hello Elyce,

We were on the Grand this February for a Hawaii cruise. The cabins were absolutely fine with no sign of being worn out. Likewise, the public areas were immaculate. Where I saw some signs of aging and surface rust was on the balcony and outside areas on some welds and fittings. As ships are made of steel and transit salt water oceans, this should be expected on even newer ships.

What we also experienced on the Grand was perhaps the most upbeat, friendly, energetic crew that we have ever had. So much so that it became impossible to cite one or two exceptional crew members. I would sail the Grand again in a nano second. If she is deployed to the East Coast, we will most assuridly will be on her again soon.

I was on the Grand last Sept....my 1st cruise on Princess & I thought it was fine...didn't see anything that looked especially run down....will be sailing her again next Feb. and looking forward to it!:)

Sailed on the Grand to Hawaii about 1.5 yrs ago when the engines caught on fire. Despite the disruption to our cruise, we had a great time. Most of the staff were very helpful, although our room steward wasn't. Even though we were in a full suite, our sofa was worn out (sank down badly in the middle of the cushions), an overhead light in the bathroom was broken and hanging down and the carpet was stained. It was disappointing to see these things, but they didn't affect how much fun we had.

Six months ago the tender platform door broke (and was hanging off) during an Hawaiian cruise right before it went into dry dock. I think this ship has definitely seen better days and Princess should replace it.

Sailed on the Grand to Hawaii about 1.5 yrs ago when the engines caught on fire. Despite the disruption to our cruise, we had a great time. Most of the staff were very helpful, although our room steward wasn't. Even though we were in a full suite, our sofa was worn out (sank down badly in the middle of the cushions), an overhead light in the bathroom was broken and hanging down and the carpet was stained. It was disappointing to see these things, but they didn't affect how much fun we had.

Six months ago the tender platform door broke (and was hanging off) during an Hawaiian cruise right before it went into dry dock. I think this ship has definitely seen better days and Princess should replace it.

That's the character of old ships that some people just seem to love. :D:D

I'll take the newer ships without the dirty worn out furniture and plumbing problems any day.

We've been on Grand 3 times in the past 4 years and loved every cruise, we had no issues with either of our cabins (had the same one twice) so only 2 in total. On the other hand, friends on board did experience water leaks in and around their cabin, which I saw with my own eyes. They took it in stride, likely I would not have, so at least some of those rumors I can say are true.

As for the general condition of the ship, I found nothing to complain about and we enjoyed consistently great service, as we have right across the Princess fleet.

Still, I'd like to see San Francisco receive a different ship for their year round use, not because I didn't enjoy the Grand, but because after 3 trips in such a short time I would enjoy something different.

We've sailed on the Grand twice and even have another cruise booked on her. She has an amazing staff / crew! I call this the ship of 'yes' as they just couldn't do enough for you.

After we sailed on the Grand last August (this was just before her refurb late last year), we sailed on the Explorer of the Seas.

The ships were built within 2 years of one another. There is absolutely NO comparison! The Explorer of the Seas is by far, a much more beautiful and well maintained ship.

I enjoyed both cruises ... so not just finding something to complain about. The food, service and guest services were far superior on the Grand ... the ship itself, however, is not! We've sailed on many cruises across a few different cruiselines and as for the ships themselves, with nothing else considered, the Century and the Grand were both showing their years on the sea. Again, great cruises on both but if sparkle and shine and elegance are important to you, this may not be the optimal choice. If you can overlook it, as mentioned, you will not find a better staff.

We are booked on the Grand for Sept. and I am looking forward to it. :)

There will always be SOMETHING that isn't perfect on every ship. We have sailed on all the previously mentioned ships, and even on the newer Ruby we had plumbing issues.

I love the IC, and Grand has that. We have a corner aft, and we are going to Alaska. What could be worrisome ?? :cool:

Patti