Passenger airlifted off of Emerald

lumpyi

It's certainly a good thing they are able to evacuate someone in this way but I sure wouldn't want to see the bill for doing it. ;-)

Hope the person ends up okay after all is said and done.

The Coast Guard will bring the patient to the CG base and a Hospital contracted Helo will take the patient from the base to the Helo pad at the hospital. The patient must pay for that portion of the airlift. The HELOS the CG use are way too big for a Helo pad on the Hospital Rooftop or Designated LZ. The cost is approx. 25k per hr billed in 15 min increments only.

The Emerald seems to have had more than her fair share of medical helicopter evacuations. We were on the ship last Oct/Nov and there were two separate evacuations on different days. A couple of months later there was another evacuation. The crew would certainly know what to do. :)

Not to disagree with Fat Albert but some hospitals do have landing pads that a USCG helicopter can land at. Also, there are times when an ambulance will meet the helicopter and take the patient from there directly to the hospital.

Very professional operation.

I noticed that the pick up area was absolutely devoid of deck furniture and that there were minimal lookee loos around the place that may be affected by helicopter rotor downwash.

Good work on behalf of the Emerald deck crew - I noticed that ship crew were giving the aircraft signals to the pilot with marshalling batons (about 17 - 20 seconds into video) to ensure the aircraft was clear of the various mast, antennas and other obstructions.

The USCG team member supervises the loading of the patient into the litter and guiding the litter with the stabilsing line during the winch operation (he is the one with the helmet on).

Obviously a well rehearsed/practised drill or activity and lets hope all is well for the patient.

As to cost/value for money versus distance to go etc that's for the finance fairies.

But as an example it just goes to show how well "your" crew would handle an emergency situation if that was you in that litter.

Not to disagree with Fat Albert but some hospitals do have landing pads that a USCG helicopter can land at. Also, there are times when an ambulance will meet the helicopter and take the patient from there directly to the hospital.

As a retired paramedic, I can confirm that Cheeseclan is absolutely correct. I have personally been winched into a USCG helicopter along with my patient and landed at the hospital directly and safely.