Sorrento or Amalfi Coast

AK Dreaming

We are on the Epic in June and are going to Pompeii and trying to decide between the excursion that includes Sorrento or Amalfi Coast. We are first timers and mostly looking into soaking in as much of Italy as we can enjoy. I have read the bus ride on the Amalfi coast is terrifying? Both seem like lovely trips and I was wondering if anyone has done either and has any recommendations. I know we can go cheaper on our own, but as first timers in Europe and our first port, going to stay with a ship excursion. Thank you.

We have been there twice. The first time we did Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast by boat. GREAT TOUR. The second time we did Sorrento and the Amalfi Drive. GREAT TOUR. I would do Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.

Sorrento is pretty and has a nice downtown to walk around in, but it's more like a British outpost than an Italian town. Of course, the Amalfi Coast is all about tourism as well but the landscape is quite different. Given the choice I'd go for the more spectacular views along the Coast.

The bus ride along the Amalfi coast isn't terrifying, it's perfectly safe for passengers.:) .

But it's no fun for the driver, with the volume of traffic in both directions on the fairly narrow & twisty road, the parked cars, the thick and unforgiving stone wall that lines the road & can gouge his paintwork, and the kamikaze scooter riders.

The views are truly wonderful, with villages tumbling down the mountainside from that road to little harbours at the bottom.

Sorrento is very pleasant & laid-back, and split between the little harbour area and the town at the top of the cliff.

"Gentrified" may be the word Eurocruiser is looking for.;)

My vote goes to the same place as others - the Amalfi coast.

JB :)

Agree with JB that the bus ride (or when I drive) along the Amalfi Drive in not terrifying...and parts of it offer gorgeous views. But the big negative about a cruise bus tour is that the tour buses are prohibited from entering into Positano. So you get a nice view from above, but miss out on walking around part of that hillside city, shopping, eating, etc. This is why many of us suggest that the Amalfi Coast is best done by private tour in a smaller vehicle. And personally, we think the Amalfi Coast (including Positano and Amalfi) plus the town of Revello.....blows away the idea of spending time in Sorrento.

Hank

I agree with Hank... we used Sorrento First Choice for our group of 8 and we were able to beat the rush and see Revello, Amalfi, and

Positano, spending a couple hours in each place. Beautiful day. Our favorite memory of Italy

Not terrifying at all. We are used to hills, though, in San Francisco, and mountains here in California, however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did Sorrento & Amalfi coast on our last European cruise and as other posts have said try to use a small vehicle on your tour so you can get right into Postiano...its stunning! The ship excursion for a small group was a stupid price so we are using Viator this time.

This is why I recommend doing Pompeii/Amalfi Coast with AP Tours. They will include Pompeii, Sorrento, and Positano. Their prices, even for private tours, are similar or less than one's from the cruise ship.

Agree with JB that the bus ride (or when I drive) along the Amalfi Drive in not terrifying...and parts of it offer gorgeous views. But the big negative about a cruise bus tour is that the tour buses are prohibited from entering into Positano. So you get a nice view from above, but miss out on walking around part of that hillside city, shopping, eating, etc. This is why many of us suggest that the Amalfi Coast is best done by private tour in a smaller vehicle. And personally, we think the Amalfi Coast (including Positano and Amalfi) plus the town of Revello.....blows away the idea of spending time in Sorrento.

Hank

We are on the Epic in June and are going to Pompeii and trying to decide between the excursion that includes Sorrento or Amalfi Coast. We are first timers and mostly looking into soaking in as much of Italy as we can enjoy. I have read the bus ride on the Amalfi coast is terrifying? Both seem like lovely trips and I was wondering if anyone has done either and has any recommendations. I know we can go cheaper on our own, but as first timers in Europe and our first port, going to stay with a ship excursion. Thank you.

Do NOT miss Amalfi coast, Sorrento is actually on the way from Pompeii to Positano are you can have a short stop if you book a private excursion!

We did a ship's tour of the Amalfi coast and Sorrento. The tour included a half hour small boat ride along the amalfi coast. Afterward, we went to Sorrento, had lunch at a charming restaurant and spent a little time in town before heading back by bus along the amalfi coast. Loved every bit of it except waiting for other passengers' bathroom breaks, inability to see the view at times from the bus where our view was often across a row of peoples and sometimes being rushed. We're going back in a few weeks and doing a private excursion his time. Much less expensive and we get to go to Amalfi, Pompeii and Ravello!! I'll miss the small boat ride but otherwise, avoiding the starting and stopping of large groups will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm scared of heights (justifiably so after falling off a 10 foot high rope bridge into a rocky creek). I was nervous on the amalfi ride, but not too terrified to do it-- I just held my friend's hand and took some deep breaths at the turns-- it was really worth it and we had such a nice day! Absolutely beautiful and not to be missed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm leery of booking long driving tours outside of the cruise excursions as in many of these Naples tours. We booked a cruise excursion in Poland one time, our bus was delayed due to a motorcycle accident that shut down an entire 2 lane bridge on our way back to the ship. The tour guide contacted the ship and they waited for us. We were over an hour late departing, with the doors shutting behind us. I wasn't worried in the least, that peace of mind is worth something.

The risk of that kind of problem is extremely rare if you've planned well (allowing yourself some "pad" time for unanticipated problems) but for some people even a small amount of risk would stop them from enjoying themselves. Cruise excursions are a good option for these folks.

One piece of advice.

The mediterranean is very port intensive.

I would look at all that you have planned there and I do not recommend doing full day tours in each port otherwise you will be exhausted.

If you want a port to just relax Sorrento is an option and that might include having a nice lunch there.

If you want to see a beautiful landscape then a drive (with stops) on the Amalfi coast is amazing and I would make that a one half to full day tour depending on what you have planned at other stops. Remember allow time on the cruise to smell the roses. I would do it privately. Go to your roll call and see if you can get a few others to join you and you can bring down the costs, see it from a smaller vehicle rather then a bus and enjoy more flexibility.

If you like history and this is your only port to see Pompeii then that is an excellent choice.

Keith

Can you not do all of them. i have done the amalfi coast that included Positano and Sorrento and Ravello (spelling?) I know you are nervous to do a private tour but honestly, these tour companies reputation would be killed if they made you miss the ship. Go with a company who is highly recommended on here like Joe Banana Limos or RIL. In my opinion, those 2 have been around the longest and are the very best. I have used both of these companies my last 6 years every summer and it has worked out very well. My very best memories. The last couple years I have joined my roll call and got a group of 8 together italytoursharing.com aka Joe bananas. Very best!!

Have a great cruise, you will be addicted to the med like me after just one!

Can you not do all of them. i have done the amalfi coast that included Positano and Sorrento and Ravello (spelling?) I know you are nervous to do a private tour but honestly, these tour companies reputation would be killed if they made you miss the ship. Go with a company who is highly recommended on here like Joe Banana Limos or RIL. In my opinion, those 2 have been around the longest and are the very best. I have used both of these companies my last 6 years every summer and it has worked out very well. My very best memories. The last couple years I have joined my roll call and got a group of 8 together italytoursharing.com aka Joe bananas. Very best!!

Concur with this post. Also, Sorrento First Choice was a very good company for this region as well. They treated us well and put up with all of us changing our minds mid trip. We kept modifying our plans throughout the day. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely agree. We have now visited this area twice on cruises. First time we docked at Naples and my husband and myself did a private tour (just the two of us) through Joe Bananas of Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello and lunch at La Tagliata in Positano. The best tour we have ever done. For an overview of the Amalfi Coast it was amazing. The next time we went we docked at Salerno. I organized another private tour, with Joe Bananas, for 6 others from our role call. This time we did Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano town, with lunch in between again at La Tagliata. The other 6 on our tour just raved about the tour.

It comes down to whether you would like to get a flavor of the Amalfi Coast (so you can determine for your next trip where you would like to go back to) or spend a more relaxing day shopping and eating in Sorrento. I am glad we did the Amalfi Coast as a whole. But am looking forward to going back and spending the day in Sorrento. The one piece of advise I have is you are doing a tour, definitely take a private one. Check out your old call. This is one that I wouldn't do as a ships tour. Those large buses can't get to the small towns the same way a mini-bus or van can. Whatever you decide though, you will fall in love with this part of Italy. We sure did.