Cafe Select Coffee Card only allowing a SMALL

I've asked Royal Caribbean through one of their social media sites. I've explained what people have been experiencing and asked for some kind of definitive answer in writing. Will post here when I get anything back from them. Should be interesting.

I've asked Royal Caribbean through one of their social media sites. I've explained what people have been experiencing and asked for some kind of definitive answer in writing. Will post here when I get anything back from them. Should be interesting.

Great idea! Should be very interesting. :confused:

Someone should have taken a picture and questioned Miami about this - when their website states something different!

After all Miami sets the rules and the F+B manager just tries to milk the passengers so he gets his bonus...

That is why the scam works and what the F+B manager counts on!

If you look at post #7, someone Did actually take a picture of the sign from my same sailing on the Anthem. Notice they added the word SHOTS to the description of the card onboard.

So on the website like post #9, it said, "Enjoy ANY 15 espresso based specialty coffee beverages"... While on the Anthem, on the sign, it said "Enjoy 15 SHOTS of espresso based specialty coffees...". :mad:

Edited by jetta8300

Hey all,

I asked on Royal Caribbean's Facebook page and here's the response:

"Thank you for bearing with us. Is per espresso shot. For example, small and medium is normally one punch and the large is two punches. If you request two punches in a small or medium coffee it will count as two."

I pointed out that on most ships a medium is two shots therefore 2 punches - so we'll see what they come back with. Also pointed out that as described it isn't a good deal.

Hey all,

I asked on Royal Caribbean's Facebook page and here's the response:

"Thank you for bearing with us. Is per espresso shot. For example, small and medium is normally one punch and the large is two punches. If you request two punches in a small or medium coffee it will count as two."

I pointed out that on most ships a medium is two shots therefore 2 punches - so we'll see what they come back with. Also pointed out that as described it isn't a good deal.

Thanks so much for asking. It is also true that 2 shots always come in a medium. And also that iced drinks only come in a larger cup. Hence why they were punching everyone's card twice for iced drinks, and all medium and large drinks. And this makes the card no deal at all. In addition it was extremely annoying having to keep track of another flimsy paper card. Especially when it didn't save me any money.

This is unfortunate news. Have been on two Princess cruises and love their coffee card. You are allowed a large size of specialty coffee, any size actually is one punch. Also allowed brewed coffee for no punch. Without the coffee card, then have to pay for the brewed variety.

Truly don't like the current nickel and dime mentality transition seeming to dominate on Royal Caribbean than when we first began cruising. :p

This really is nickel and diming . NCL is normally the champion at this .

Since their cruises are generally quite a bit cheaper then RC it is more acceptable .

Wondering now if I should cancel the card I preordered for my upcoming Oasis cruise. The point of something like this is to make life easier while getting a better value for buying in bulk. Sounds like neither may be true any longer.

I would buy ahead and fight them - with the printout from the website in hand! It says ANY coffee!

1) Fighting passengers over their morning caffeine is a bad idea. No one is going to win, here, except for the bean counter safely hidden in the bowls of the ship or executive at HQ whose break room has a top of the line free coffee/espresso machine. And possibly the infirmary when someone's soaring blood pressure while arguing about coffee punch cards makes it a health issue.

2) Is the profit really that different for one shot vs two? Should passengers really have to deal with this hassle (line up to buy card, remember to bring coffee card, wonder if they should have more or less coffee when they are used to a certain amount of caffeine) over a bottom line difference of < $.30? Just increase the price of the card by $0.50 per drink to allow for 16 oz or don't offer the card. Maybe give a frequent customer card instead. Pay 10, get 11th small coffee free.

Wondering now if I should cancel the card I preordered for my upcoming Oasis cruise. The point of something like this is to make life easier while getting a better value for buying in bulk. Sounds like neither may be true any longer.

I'd wait and purchase onboard after talking with the coffee people and confirming their policy on punches.

• 2 weeks later...

I am extremely interested in the outcome of this. My wife and I were going to purchase a card for our upcoming Allure cruise in October but now I'm not sure. I think I will purchase and print out the info online for proof... I usually get a kick out of bickering about price/scam (cable, internet, cell phone) but don't really feel like doing in on our cruise vacation.

I am extremely interested in the outcome of this. My wife and I were going to purchase a card for our upcoming Allure cruise in October but now I'm not sure. I think I will purchase and print out the info online for proof... I usually get a kick out of bickering about price/scam (cable, internet, cell phone) but don't really feel like doing in on our cruise vacation.

I don't recall seeing this card being discounted pre-cruise. If there is no pre-cruise discount, I would wait and purchase on board, after you have spoken to the crewmembers at the coffee venue to confirm the policy on that particular sailing.

Just like adventure last December. Sigh.

2) Is the profit really that different for one shot vs two? Should passengers really have to deal with this hassle (line up to buy card, remember to bring coffee card, wonder if they should have more or less coffee when they are used to a certain amount of caffeine) over a bottom line difference of < $.30? Just increase the price of the card by $0.50 per drink to allow for 16 oz or don't offer the card. Maybe give a frequent customer card instead. Pay 10, get 11th small coffee free.

Obviously to them it is. Because doing two punches yields them more than 50 cents.

I'd wait and purchase onboard after talking with the coffee people and confirming their policy on punches.

Yep.

Thanks for the update. I just want to confirm that during the pre-cruise purchase, this two punch rule was not disclosed?

Wasn't in December and still isn't. Website sells one thing and some shops are selling another.

To make matters worse, iced beverages only came in 16 oz, so anyone wanting an iced drink was forced to use 2 punches.

Yep.

I would have asked for a full refund as soon as I was informed of this policy.

Adventure manager in December refused a refund. Dh continued to push back (he's very good at things like this and keeping his cool) and ended up getting a second punch card. So we ended up getting what we paid for (since we ordered through the website that says "any espresso drink") but anyone who didn't push back didn't.

For our 16oz iced lattes, without that second card, we would have gotten 7.5 drinks for our $36. So that's about 4.80 each. Which is far more than an iced latte costs in cash.

Our cruise in January was the same way. I was even on a call with a manager who got in contact with the ships food and beverage manager to verify if that's what they were actual doing on the Anthem. The manager in Miami said that the way the card was being done on the ship was totally wrong and that it should be one punch for any drink on any ship in the fleet that it's offered. Looks to me like they have a new advertisement on board instead and haven't updated the site. We got the same punch card on the Grandeur and it was 1 punch for any drink.

No, those ships still doing this are still doing it wrong. Adventure in December had signs that matched the ship's policy but not the fleet's policy.

Wow, thank you so much for posting this! I have it in my cart but I already had questions just from the online description... what does "or 50% off" mean if you've already got the card, for example, or in tiny print "not applicable at any Starbucks-licensed venue" which may or may not mean Latte-Tudes, which prominently displays the Starbucks logo.

Who is Starbucks and who isn't are cut and dried. Lattetudes might "proudly serve" Starbucks but they aren't A Starbucks. If you're in one of the few ships with an actually Starbucks it'll be obvious. Especially since you'll also have a Lattetudes type place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is my follow-up. I had the same issue of small and frappes/1 punch med/large/iced 2 punches. Interestingly double espressos were only one punch for me. Either way....

I called the post cruise satisfaction desk. They confirmed with the ship that this was the policy- which I agreed with.

But because I pre-purchased online and the online description is per coffee and the ship description is per espresso shot. they refunded my money to my credit card.

I'm definitely interested in getting a daily espresso/cappuccino. However, I've already purchase the Deluxe Beverage package. Does this package already include "espresso-based drinks"? I didn't want to buy the card if my existing package already covered me.

I'm definitely interested in getting a daily espresso/cappuccino. However, I've already purchase the Deluxe Beverage package. Does this package already include "espresso-based drinks"? I didn't want to buy the card if my existing package already covered me.

Yes, the Deluxe beverage package includes specialty coffees, which are espresso based.

Hello Folks,

I received a reply from guest relations today. Here is the relevant portion (they also fielded some other questions).

"Thank you for your email.

The Café Select Coffee Card entitles guests to 15 specialty espresso based coffees, premium teas, and hot chocolate. One beverage is one punch on the card. For guests wishing to have a large to-go or double shot coffee drink: 2 punches. Each additional shot is an additional punch on the card. You can add the coffee card by visiting the Cruise Planner at www.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner."

So now we have the official word on the cards. I wish I bought the refreshment package when it was on sale. I have never been on a cruise before to know it was a sale (oops).

-c

Hello Folks,

I received a reply from guest relations today. Here is the relevant portion (they also fielded some other questions).

"Thank you for your email.

The Café Select Coffee Card entitles guests to 15 specialty espresso based coffees, premium teas, and hot chocolate. One beverage is one punch on the card. For guests wishing to have a large to-go or double shot coffee drink: 2 punches. Each additional shot is an additional punch on the card. You can add the coffee card by visiting the Cruise Planner at www.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner."

So now we have the official word on the cards. I wish I bought the refreshment package when it was on sale. I have never been on a cruise before to know it was a sale (oops).

-c

It will be interesting to see if they clearly note these terms in the web page where the Cafe Select card is purchased.

The Deluxe package covers all your drinks, basically everything up to $12. So you're good to go. (I had the Deluxe package and bought hubby the coffee card, but the card was a rip-off.)

It will be interesting to see if they clearly note these terms in the web page where the Cafe Select card is purchased.

Wish I'd taken a screenshot when I purchased the card for hubby. I had the Deluxe package, so my coffee addiction was easily fueled. He was mostly abstaining so that package made no sense to buy for him. I thought the coffee package would be perfect because he does love his Venti Soy Latte with an extra shot. But that would have been THREE drinks from the card. I ended up using my deluxe package for his drinks and got myself a cappuccino, but I couldn't get anything but a Tall (or small) with a single shot or it'd also consume double the drinks.

In short, this was not a good value and hubby gave up on it in disgust and mostly drank the regular coffee provided free of charge. I hadn't thought about writing to them to complain, but it never hurts to let them know. Two shots of espresso versus one doesn't cost a penny extra with the amount of coffee they buy. It's ridiculous that they're being this cheap!

My kids bought me a coffee card to use on the FoS transatlantic in April. Small, medium or large, hot, cold or frozen was one punch. I even came home with a few punches left on the card. Can't wait to see what happens on my Enchantment cruise in September.

My email to them specifically asked what the current policy is and if it is different on different ships. I mentioned I would be sailing on the Grandeur shortly in my letter. Their reply is the policy across the board. So whatever the past may have been, this is the official stance now. I think anybody getting anything different now is just lucky because somebody on the ship doesn't know the change.

-c

So is this happening on any ships other than Anthem?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Recently off the Empress (they have very good Cuban coffee), though I did not purchase the card I asked specifically about large size, extra shots, flavor, etc. and the server there said "Yes, anything at all, one punch". :cool: