Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should too!

If there is still a refundable option (which the pdf indicates) there shouldn't be that much of an issue.

The entire travel industry (airlines, hotels, tours, etc) have non-refundable options. If you think there is a chance you will cancel and you cannot afford to lose the money, don't book that rate. Another option is to get travel insurance that covers cancellations.

If it bothered me as much as it seems to bother the OP, I'd never go anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

This seems to be new. Went to do a mock booking to gauge for any price reduction and after you select the type of stateroom, a blue box comes up with a price and below it states "refundable deposit". The problem, there's no other prompt that I can see--maybe it's a work in process.

At bottom, there is this footnote:

*Price is per person, cruise only, reflects any promotional savings, and is subject to change and availability until booked. Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. $100 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

This seems to be new. Went to do a mock booking to gauge for any price reduction and after you select the type of stateroom, a blue box comes up with a price and below it states "refundable deposit". The problem, there's no other prompt that I can see--maybe it's a work in process.

At bottom, there is this footnote:

*Price is per person, cruise only, reflects any promotional savings, and is subject to change and availability until booked. Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. $100 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

It's not in effect yet.

But, why have it almost a month in advance. Curious as to the $ difference between refundable & not refundable.

Also, just wondering if the TA/RCL both have some sort cancellation and/or change policy that means it's a double hit.

This is a NEW change. I've booked many cruises in the past, I started with an inside room and worked my way up to a suite. So all you green-with-envy-types are being ridiculous. I've never, NEVER, booked a cruise where the deposit was non-refundable whether booked onboard or through a TA. FYI-- I booked this suite onboard with NO reduction in deposit or OBC on the booking cruise, so that means I paid $900 to book a cruise a year plus out, one that I will have to save for! I work hard for my money, and don't go around with my nose up in the air bragging I'm "Diamond, Diamond Plus, Pinnacle," etc. and I'm NOT a crybaby. This policy is UNFAIR to people like me who like to plan and save for their vacations! I don't have $900 to throw away, do YOU??? And this ONLY applies to those bookings made onboard and not through a TA as I've just learned. So lesson learned, NEVER book RCCL onboard if you want a Grand Suite or better; or just don't book at all, as is my choice. Plenty of other lines out there that DON"T have this policy.

Also, I DO NOT care if there is already a topic thread, I didn't see it and it didn't come up during a topic search--I checked! God knows how many times other mundane topics such as formal nights and such have generated over the years! Please forgive me all you holier-than-thou's and have a nice day.

I am sorry the answers seem to be rude to me . You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Thank You for telling us of this change. I never read that you told other people to follow your example. What i read is someone dissatisfied with some current change in rules for booking a suite. And why you feel that way. And you have every right to express your opinion without flack.

I am sorry the answers seem to be rude to me . You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Thank You for telling us of this change. I never read that you told other people to follow your example. What i read is someone dissatisfied with some current change in rules for booking a suite. And why you feel that way. And you have every right to express your opinion without flack.

Duh, it's in the title. [emoji15]

Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should to!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Duh, it's in the title. [emoji15]

Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should to!

Your right it is in the title . However i think she was just trying to make a point.She wasn't really actually telling you what to do. Rhetorically making this statement." And you should to".

Your right it is in the title . However i think she was just trying to make a point.She wasn't really actually telling you what to do. Rhetorically making this statement." And you should to".

That's not how I read it. She's angry and wants everyone to boycott Royal

Had the OP just titled the post Why OP is leaving WITHOUT stating "I" should leave, replies would have been much better.

I personally am in favor of a policy that frowns on place marker bookings and they DO affect us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will never sail with Royal Caribbean. I booked a cruise for September 2018 to go to Canada and New England when they had a 30% off promo. I booked on May 7th. The total for a balcony with insurance and gratuities came to $4038. Great deal. 2 1/2 weeks later I went into the site and see my fare is now $5600. I called customer service and was told it can change at anytime. I asked how can they change a fare after it is booked and was told, well we,can. Instead of 30% off they decided to charge regular price and give us $200 onboard credit. I booked on the 30% off not a $200 credit. They adjusted the price. 2 hours later it was now $4200. I called again and wanted an explanation of why this fare keeps changing and once again was told, well we,can change the price without letting you know. I cancelled immediatel. We have cruised for years with Princess and have never had any issues. Interesting enough I have talked to 3 other people who had the same thing happen to them. Horrible company.

Had the OP just titled the post Why OP is leaving WITHOUT stating "I" should leave, replies would have been much better.

I personally am in favor of a policy that frowns on place marker bookings and they DO affect us.

Anything negative about a cruise line will be attacked by the cheerleaders (unless you know how to word a negative reply that does not sound like a personal attack - and even that will not save you). But when you add, you should do as I do, then you have just opened yourself to more issues, since most people like to make up their own mind.

Anything negative about a cruise line will be attacked by the cheerleaders (unless you know how to word a negative reply that does not sound like a personal attack - and even that will not save you). But when you add, you should do as I do, then you have just opened yourself to more issues, since most people like to make up their own mind.

lol

We will never sail with Royal Caribbean. I booked a cruise for September 2018 to go to Canada and New England when they had a 30% off promo. I booked on May 7th. The total for a balcony with insurance and gratuities came to $4038. Great deal. 2 1/2 weeks later I went into the site and see my fare is now $5600. I called customer service and was told it can change at anytime. I asked how can they change a fare after it is booked and was told, well we,can. Instead of 30% off they decided to charge regular price and give us $200 onboard credit. I booked on the 30% off not a $200 credit. They adjusted the price. 2 hours later it was now $4200. I called again and wanted an explanation of why this fare keeps changing and once again was told, well we,can change the price without letting you know. I cancelled immediatel. We have cruised for years with Princess and have never had any issues. Interesting enough I have talked to 3 other people who had the same thing happen to them. Horrible company.

I've never heard a tale quite like that. [emoji33]

Something is off with this post. It is hard to believe a rep from the cruise line said we can change your price and not let you know.

There's no way they can change your price if you are already booked and you didn't call up an upgrade something.

Maybe it's the RCI IT dept again?

Bill

Please clarify as yours does not make sense. Did you book, make a deposit, get a booking #.

I made the reservation on their website, made a deposit and had booking number. I printed out all the price changes and sent it to their main office. The response was they can change the fare but it could be a technical error. Maybe if I had used my travel agent this wouldn't have happened, but the 30% off was finished at midnight so we booked online.

^ you were both right - the price does change all the time, but not yours. What you experienced is probably the RCI IT system. Once you have a booking with a deposit the price is fixed. Oh, and don't worry about the 30% off, that is meaningless, the price itself hardly changes with all the sales.

OP makes a point; sooner or later this will impact all of us. Why so many people make conscious decisions as adults to act like school aged bullies is beyond me. This thread really brought out the most obnoxious, shameful behavior in so many. And for no good reason. I guess the entitled generation have not been taught empathy.

lol ;p

Let me share with you a couple of examples why Royal might have changed the policy regarding non refundable deposits and charging a $100 service charge to move reservations.

1). When does a Next Cruise rep get paid commission for a booked cruise? My understanding is that it is paid after 60 days (not confirmed). So, a person might book a very expensive suite cabin with next cruise as either a place holder or too wait until the Next Cruise rep gets paid commission, and then moving the deposit to say a inside cabin. So next Cruise rep is paid commission on say $10k cabin but yet those that booked changed to a inside cabin for less than $2k for same cruise.

2) people that booked every weekend on 3 day cruises as soon as summer rates come out only to select the dates they want (Suites) at a much later time when final payment due. Deposits were $50 for each cruise that could be used on dates one would select. This means these cabins are not available until after final payment.

Food for thought??