Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should too!

We've had non refundable deposits in the U.K. all the time we've cruised - welcome to our world!

Too many people booking suites early and cancelling late is the problem meaning Royal have to offer cheap deals late on.

Exactly all cruises booked in the UK have non refundable deposits, after all what is the point of a deposit if you are going to get it back if you cancel.

Welcome to our world as SadmanCruiser says.

I booked this suite onboard with NO reduction in deposit or OBC on the booking cruise, so that means I paid $900 to book a cruise a year plus out, one that I will have to save for!.

Can someone clarify? I thought that when a person booked onboard, they always got a little OBC and a reduced deposit? I thought that was always the case... I've booked 2 (or 3?) cruised via NextCruise, and have always gotten that...

Can someone clarify? I thought that when a person booked onboard, they always got a little OBC and a reduced deposit? I thought that was always the case... I've booked 2 (or 3?) cruised via NextCruise, and have always gotten that...

Full suites should be getting OBC for onboard bookings.

Why do you think I'm Emerald on Royal Caribbean almost Diamond? Because I like the way Royal Caribbean operates.

My theory is if you really want to book a suite onboard and its nonrefundable thats a bonus because I locked in the Dates and I'm going. You could purchase Travel Insurance if you really had doubts or would you not get a refund?

For me a nonrefundable purchase for a cruise would not bother me because I know that I am committing to an expensive cabin and get some people to share it with me,

RCCL's new policy for onboard bookings of suites is why I'm leaving. Their new NO-REFUND policy is not just nor fair. If you're thinking this will not affect you, you are wrong. How long do you think it will be before ALL deposits become nonrefundable?

Why only Grand Suites and above? All lines receive booking cancellations before final payment and/or sail date. We book our cruises way in advance in order to save for them, we are not hogging anything; we did not receive any OBC on the current cruise; and we did not receive any reduced deposit. The only difference was making a reservation while on board, I don't know if reservations through a TA are any different. Maybe RCCL should go after the huge group booking companies and not the average cruiser trying to plan ahead.

If you think you're okay because you don't/haven't book suites, it's probably only a matter of time before this policy goes across the board. RCCL is attempting to do to cruises what the airlines did to flying. Shame on you RCCL, I hope this policy comes back and bites you. Either way, you've lost my business forever.

Bye

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RCCL's new policy for onboard bookings of suites is why I'm leaving. Their new NO-REFUND policy is not just nor fair. If you're thinking this will not affect you, you are wrong. How long do you think it will be before ALL deposits become nonrefundable?

Why only Grand Suites and above? All lines receive booking cancellations before final payment and/or sail date. We book our cruises way in advance in order to save for them, we are not hogging anything; we did not receive any OBC on the current cruise; and we did not receive any reduced deposit. The only difference was making a reservation while on board, I don't know if reservations through a TA are any different. Maybe RCCL should go after the huge group booking companies and not the average cruiser trying to plan ahead.

If you think you're okay because you don't/haven't book suites, it's probably only a matter of time before this policy goes across the board. RCCL is attempting to do to cruises what the airlines did to flying. Shame on you RCCL, I hope this policy comes back and bites you. Either way, you've lost my business forever.

Welcome to the world of non refundable deposits. We in the U.K. have had it for years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a NEW change. I've booked many cruises in the past, I started with an inside room and worked my way up to a suite. So all you green-with-envy-types are being ridiculous. I've never, NEVER, booked a cruise where the deposit was non-refundable whether booked onboard or through a TA. FYI-- I booked this suite onboard with NO reduction in deposit or OBC on the booking cruise, so that means I paid $900 to book a cruise a year plus out, one that I will have to save for! I work hard for my money, and don't go around with my nose up in the air bragging I'm "Diamond, Diamond Plus, Pinnacle," etc. and I'm NOT a crybaby. This policy is UNFAIR to people like me who like to plan and save for their vacations! I don't have $900 to throw away, do YOU??? And this ONLY applies to those bookings made onboard and not through a TA as I've just learned. So lesson learned, NEVER book RCCL onboard if you want a Grand Suite or better; or just don't book at all, as is my choice. Plenty of other lines out there that DON"T have this policy.

Also, I DO NOT care if there is already a topic thread, I didn't see it and it didn't come up during a topic search--I checked! God knows how many times other mundane topics such as formal nights and such have generated over the years! Please forgive me all you holier-than-thou's and have a nice day.

You know who's responsible? It's those damned smokers!

Elvis

There is a new RCI policy that you can choose Refundable Cruises and Non-Refundable. Non-Refundable will have OBC and a lower price. See: http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056802_Nonrefundable_Overview_News.pdf

If they keep the two types of booking methods, we would probably opt for the Refundable because flexibility is the most important thing to us.

I'm glad I opened this thread. Thanks OP for starting it.

This new policy sucks! :( Just when we might be booking cruises well in advance and actually using the depsit system Royal pulls this one. Up to now we have almost always booked last minute and paid in full at the time of booking.

Those discounts mentioned in the attachment better be substantial because a measly $100 OBC for a balcony cabin isn’t going to cut it if my $500 or $1,000 deposit is at risk.

Oh well, like fish there are other cruise lines in the sea.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I'm glad I opened this thread. Thanks OP for starting it.

This new policy sucks! :( Just when we might be booking cruises well in advance and actually using the depsit system Royal pulls this one. Up to now we have almost always booked last minute and paid in full at the time of booking.

Those discounts mentioned in the attachment better be substantial because a measly $100 OBC for a balcony cabin isn’t going to cut it if my $500 or $1,000 deposit is at risk.

Oh well, like fish there are other cruise lines in the sea.

Applies only to suites cabins.

The "non-refundable" choice isn't likely to be cheaper than todays pricing. The OBC is a token; it costs them far less to give it to you. It is more likely that the more expensive "refundable" pricing gives Royal a way to escalate prices further to differentiate further from downmarket competitors, while still being able to advertise "lower" pricing.

Hmmm, well I always understood that my deposit, regardless of category booked was non-refundable. Perhaps this has changed but it seems fair to me. We are getting an incentive to book on board in the form of OBC,so while it is a risk, it's a risk you need to be willing to take in order to get the bonus. If you don't want that risk, don't book on board. Plain and simple!

Oh, and I really don't need anyone telling me that I should leave RCCL. It's fine that you want to, but no need to tell others.

I won't book a cruise with a non refundable deposit unless I'm within final payment. Got burnt with Regent on their non refundable policy. Never again ,same for TA That don't tell of a service charge for cancelling a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now now now, calm down. Did you know that the much Snickered at and bad mouthed cruise line called CARNIVAL has been doing this already. They do it on the "early savers pricing". I almost got caught up in this because I was truly confused. When I called to talk to an agent they gladly made my one time only change and did not charge me. Lesson learned, talk nicely to the agent, plead your case and you stand a good chance of getting taken care of. BTW if you read all the other cruise line threads, there is in general folks who get annoyed with things. Still the cruise industry is in business of making a profit. I would say that RCCL does encourage folks to put deposits down while on a cruise and then allows us to make changes later. Perhaps too much of a good thing has caught up with them. Well good luck. Remember there are many folks who can't afford to travel and all of us should consider ourselves lucky even with some of the negatives. toodles everyone