Live From The Mariner 13-24 May 2017 (Lite)

Roberto, we walked down to Canada Place to have a peek at the Mariner at about 8:45 this morning. I figure by then you and Pam had probably "left the building" but I was hoping against hope I might get a glimpse of youse guys.

Thanks again for an awesome blog and safe travels!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all you guys for posting these last few weeks! Was so much fun reading and living vicariously!

Travelcat--

Thank you for the Glacier Bay info, but does all that boilerplate actually contain a specific answer as to why the same cruise lines, year in and year out, visit the bay while others are perpetually excluded? It seems odd to me that higher end cruise lines are not represented at all, in spite of whatever quota system is in place.

And I wonder why Norwegian, Regent's parent company as we all know, chose the Pearl for its apparent allotment of just one ship to visit the bay, while Carnival seems over represented, with multiple ships under both its Princess and Holland America brands cruising there every single season? Princess in particular seems like an odd choice, seeing that they've recently been fined 40 million dollars for illegal, environment despoiling waste dumping.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're right - it doesn't really answer the question. My assumption is that the quota has been met and there will not be an opening unless/until a cruise line decides not to visit that area anymore. It would be nice if Regent's sister company, NCL, would share!

Roberto, agree with you 100% about Risky. She is a gem! Did you know that her DH works in CR also?

Anyway, we enjoyed every moment that we shared with you through your great posts and photos. It's kinda nice that after you and Rich's "live" threads, I won't have to do it, Safe travels!

Jackie is correct about the glacier bay thing. The quota has been met, so unless one of the current cruise lines that has a spot there gives it up (highly unlikely), no one else is getting in.

We were really lucky to spend four days there on a now defunct small ship cruise line. It was an amazing experience. My boys were 11 and 16 at the time. They are 26 and 30 now, so that tells you how long ago it was, but it was unforgettable.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments; they keep me motivated to continue blogging in future cruises.

We missed you, Rich because we departed the ship at 0945 then went through a forty five minute line for a cab. The Vancouver airport was a mess and it took us about two hours to muddle through security and customs. We had twenty minutes to spare before boarding.

We are now at LAX waiting for our next flight to MIA. Should be home around 0800. We are tired and borderline cranky.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry - I had to go back to post #73 to see what happened (the wine definitely caused the problem:evilsmile:). The answer to this isn't easy. I found incredible rates on a website that I cannot name (I generally only go to the website to learn how many suites are available on a cruise but this time noticed the pricing). I told my TA about it and Regent met their "covert pricing". The lowest category for the10 night August 30th sailing was $4,987/person (without air). We booked the last "C" category penthouse for $7,275/person. This cruises is also an "Artful Traveler" cruise which I hear is a big plus!

P.S. "Z", is the Panko shrimp a special order?

Jackie; Thank your for your detailed info. You were so right! Regent are really slashing prices, and dangles three-category upgrade and big savings (up to $ 1000) in Alaska. However bookings must be made between May 26 and May 31. For details see www.seatrade-cruise.com/news-headlines/regent-dangles-three-categorie-upgrade

Paul