Netherlands (Amsterdam, Rotterdam) with no euro cash?

We're cruising the Norwegian fjords out of Rotterdam, flying in and out of Amsterdam Schiphol. We're trying to decide how much currency to exchange beforehand -- or even whether we need any.

We've decided not to buy any Norwegian kroner, as several posters have said that nearly everyone in Norway, particularly in tourist areas, takes cards -- that even the locals seldom use cash.

However, I haven't found any similar information for using euros in the Netherlands. Can anyone tell me if we'll be OK with just credit and debit cards? Offhand the only time I can think of that we'll need cash will be when the porters take our bags at the cruise port. I'm assuming they'll expect a tip; will they be OK with a US banknote if it's a big enough one in new condition?

Thanks!

I would hit an ATM when you arrive & get a few Euro

I am sure the porters will not have much use for USD or want to pay to exchange them

We take a small amount of local currency just in case there are some places that do not take CC for small purchases

However, I haven't found any similar information for using euros in the Netherlands. Can anyone tell me if we'll be OK with just credit and debit cards? Offhand the only time I can think of that we'll need cash will be when the porters take our bags at the cruise port. I'm assuming they'll expect a tip; will they be OK with a US banknote if it's a big enough one in new condition?

Thanks!

Would a porter or a waiter in Boston be happy with a Euro bill? I seriously doubt it.

Conversely, the porter in the Netherlands may not expect a tip.

Would a porter or a waiter in Boston be happy with a Euro bill? I seriously doubt it.

Conversely, the porter in the Netherlands may not expect a tip.

I've never used a ported anywhere in Europe who wouldn't expect a tip. Although we don't tip nearly as much as North Americans we do tip people like drivers and porters, the better the service the more we're likely to tip but NEVER 20 - 25% as we felt obliged to do in NY

You certainly need some Euros, not only for porters etc., but also small shops/restaurants etc. often donot accept creditcards.

Debitcards will work to get cash out of an ATM, not sure it will work in restaurants.

Upon arrival at the Amsterdam airport you will find not only ATM but also banks that will change currency.

We're cruising the Norwegian fjords out of Rotterdam, flying in and out of Amsterdam Schiphol. We're trying to decide how much currency to exchange beforehand -- or even whether we need any.

We've decided not to buy any Norwegian kroner, as several posters have said that nearly everyone in Norway, particularly in tourist areas, takes cards -- that even the locals seldom use cash.

Thanks!

You can easily pick-up some Euro at the airport ATM when you arrive at Schiphol - that way you will get the best exchange rate. Just get enough for tipping purposes. You should be fine with credit cards in the Netherlands - if memory serves, the only places that didn't accept my card were some smaller cafes and grocery stores.

Wise to get a few Euros from an ATM's machine. It just depends if you have a contactless debit card , as this is the best for small items like a coffee, rather than a cc.

Having no currency is quite risky, and a few Euros will always keep for a subsequent visit to Europe.

You can easily pick-up some Euro at the airport ATM when you arrive at Schiphol - that way you will get the best exchange rate. Just get enough for tipping purposes. You should be fine with credit cards in the Netherlands - if memory serves, the only places that didn't accept my card were some smaller cafes and grocery stores.

Thanks. After searching some more on the Web, I agree that using an ATM at the airport makes the most sense for us. Suggestions I've seen are (1) look for an ATM run by a Dutch bank, not by Travelex, for a better exchange rate; (2) specify an amount that is not divisible by 20 or 50, in order to receive at least one 10-euro note. If we want to end up with a 5, we can then buy something small with a 10 or 20.

I totally get that a porter would prefer to be tipped in euros. I just thought that with dozens or hundreds of Americans dropping bags off (and many of them not having the foresight to bring euros), the porters might have a source for changing large amounts of dollars into euros. But the question is academic for me, as I plan to get some euros at the airport.

Wise to get a few Euros from an ATM's machine. It just depends if you have a contactless debit card , as this is the best for small items like a coffee, rather than a cc.

A contactless debit card? Is that a card that you hold near a pad in order to activate? My office building pass and my transit pass are like that, but I've never seen a debit card that works like that. Our credit and debit cards each have a chip; I'm hoping that will be good enough.

In Europe now most debit cards are chip as well as contactless. This is the way that many people now get away with little cash, they work like an oyster card on the tube and are now used in many chains & large stores in lieu of cash. However I don't think US banks issue these.

You will see them in wide use in coffee shops, restaurants, many shops up to £30 a purchase.

Increasingly shops do not like cash, as banks continue to close and are rare outside town centres, digital technology now is replacing this as most in Europe are now using internet banking.

In Europe now most debit cards are chip as well as contactless. This is the way that many people now get away with little cash, they work like an oyster card on the tube and are now used in many chains & large stores in lieu of cash. However I don't think US banks issue these.

You will see them in wide use in coffee shops, restaurants, many shops up to £30 a purchase.

Increasingly shops do not like cash, as banks continue to close and are rare outside town centres, digital technology now is replacing this as most in Europe are now using internet banking.

You should be able to get euros from your local bank or AAA. We always like to have local currency with us when we arrive.

I totally get that a porter would prefer to be tipped in euros. I just thought that with dozens or hundreds of Americans dropping bags off (and many of them not having the foresight to bring euros), the porters might have a source for changing large amounts of dollars into euros. But the question is academic for me, as I plan to get some euros at the airport.

Couple of flaws with this thinking. First, as commonly discussed here, the best exchange rate available to the public is an ATM machine, at less than one percent over the official, bank to bank rate. So porters won't have a better exchange rate than is available to you.

Second, why should the porter eat any loses on the exchange rate, when that responsibility is yours?

There will be places (think tourist (high-end) shops) that will accept payment in US$ but be aware that the exchange rate will be very unfavourable! And whilst I'm sure a porter wouldn't decline a high value dollar bill, it would be far preferable to use euros.

Just a thought - where do you find these porters? And frankly, if I found one, I would not care if they didn't like USD, or in my case, GBP.

For someone who is just transiting the airport (not staying overnight) I would have thought that a working credit card was all that was needed.