Question about upgrading and price drops

I am sailing on the Liberty of the Seas next month. It looks like the prices are dropping. I did a mock booking and it appears that I could get a superior ocean view stateroom for a total of $143 more than I paid for a promenade room.

I called RCL and the customer service person did the calculations and told me it would cost $600 more for me to upgrade my room. Since it's after my cancellation period, am I not able to get a better room at the current prices by just paying the difference? I am not sure if he made a mistake or if I am not entitled to a discounted rate when upgrading.

Thanks.

I am sailing on the Liberty of the Seas next month. It looks like the prices are dropping. I did a mock booking and it appears that I could get a superior ocean view stateroom for a total of $143 more than I paid for a promenade room.

I called RCL and the customer service person did the calculations and told me it would cost $600 more for me to upgrade my room. Since it's after my cancellation period, am I not able to get a better room at the current prices by just paying the difference? I am not sure if he made a mistake or if I am not entitled to a discounted rate when upgrading.

Thanks.

You should be able to upgrade after final payment date. You would have to pay the difference between what you paid and the price of the new stateroom.

Sometimes, the lower rates you see are available for new bookings only...since you're already booked, you may not be eligible.

If you ARE able to adjust the rate, you may give up perks you have under your original rate because those perks were associated with the rate you originally booked with. If you want the new lower rate, you may be eligible only for whatever perks are now being offered, if any.

Do you get to keep the perks that your original booking qualified for?

Only if those perks are currently being offered. You would lose anything not currently being offered, but you would gain anything currently offered that you didn't have before.

I think I see what happened. In the time it took me to do the mock booking and then call, they changed the rates! I still have the screen shot of my mock booking earlier today. I didn't realize they change rates on the same day.

I think I see what happened. In the time it took me to do the mock booking and then call, they changed the rates! I still have the screen shot of my mock booking earlier today. I didn't realize they change rates on the same day.

I'm convinced they change rates when someone calls to book that category.:rolleyes:

I'm convinced they change rates when someone calls to book that category.:rolleyes:

That's actually what I was thinking because the guy had me on hold for nearly 15 minutes. I was wondering what was taking him so long for something so simple.

I was able to upgrade from outside on two to balcony on eight for two rooms when I saw the balcony sale for Sept. sailing on Liberty. Cost was $59 pp. Thought it was a heck of a deal. I was not, though, inside final payment. But I have read on this board many times one could change after drop-dead date if new booking was an upgrade.

Carolyn in Texas

I was able to upgrade from outside on two to balcony on eight for two rooms when I saw the balcony sale for Sept. sailing on Liberty. Cost was $59 pp. Thought it was a heck of a deal. I was not, though, inside final payment. But I have read on this board many times one could change after drop-dead date if new booking was an upgrade.

Carolyn in Texas

You are generally right. What can prevent an upgrade after final payment is the promotion. If it's "New Bookings Only" they you aren't eligible. Likewise some other rates. I get "Interline" rates. I booked on a "Future Cruise" to get the $100 OBC a few years ago. The Interline rate popped up after final payment and I could move from a Balcony to a Junior Suite for no charge. But since I used a "Future Cruise" booking I was ineligible to switch. Fortunately I have a GREAT TA who got me on the phone with her RCCL Rep and we were able to talk them into letting me switch to the JS for no charge if I simply "sacrificed" the $100 OBC. It helps to have a GREAT TA who fights for you.