To Book with TA friend or other agent.....

In doing my research, I came across different pricing for the same cruise on different online travel sites. The rate listed on the RCI site is higher. The difference in the fare alone would be $300 (almost a 10% savings) . In addition, we would get an additional $200 in OBC with the lower rate.

My dilemma, my travel agent is also my friend and the rate he is quoting is the RCI rate with his reason being that the online sites are not allowed to undercut RCI. Not that what they are doing is illegal, I guess just against CLIA policy.

It is also my understanding that OBC comes out of his commission (historically he has given about $100 - $200 depending on the cruise fare. this is at the lower end, so I would assume $100).

I am feeling very guilty for wanting to save $400. Not sure exactly what I am looking for here, except maybe make myself feel better for going with the lower fare and not my friend.

Thanks for letting me unload. If there are any travel agents out there who could give me some insight, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a travel agent so maybe you don't want my thoughts. If that's the case, stop reading and ignore this. [emoji113]🏻

For what it's worth, I say book with the rate that saves you money. Think about it this way-would you randomly hand this friend a $400 gift just for fun? You shouldn't do business with friends just because they're your friends.

I suspect your friend will understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it was me, I'd tell the friend about tho other TA's rate and ask if they could match it. If not I'd go with the other TA and save myself $400.

And if my friend got ticked-off that I didn't book through him, I'd buy him a $5.00 beer and maybe a burger. Heck of a lot cheaper than $400.

I feel your pain. My TA is my mother in law. UGH!!! And although she does do a great job of finding us the lowest rate, she is a huge procrastinator and cost us money in airline tickets and hotels. Lesson learned.

I think that the way the big online TA companies get lower rates is they book a large group of rooms at a discounted rate and are able to pass that onto you. It used to be if you booked 8 rooms with a group you received a room free. They probably use the money from that 'free' room to pass on in OBC. Just what I have been thinking personally as I have been researching prices myself.

If this is a good friend they would want you to save money. Give them the opportunity to match or get close to matching. Putting money in their pocket should not come above you saving money. Friendships work both ways.

I always book through my friend who is a TA, they don't make much so every little bit helps. Plus, she has helped me when I was in a last minute bind before!! The bigger companies can afford to give out better perks, but you get way better service and communication with a friend! Just my opinion.

Book with whoever you get the best deal. If it's not your friend then share the pricing and see if they can beat it. My experience with many cruises is that a certain big box store starting with C pretty much knocks everyone out of the water. Unless you are booking Lux lines like Regent, etc

Same situation when I booked a month ago! For what it's worth, I booked with the lower cost site. My friend was mad and even wrote me a rather rude email but the later apologized and got over it. I think they know if they want your future business they have to behave.

Lisa n

In doing my research, I came across different pricing for the same cruise on different online travel sites. The rate listed on the RCI site is higher. The difference in the fare alone would be $300 (almost a 10% savings) . In addition, we would get an additional $200 in OBC with the lower rate.

My dilemma, my travel agent is also my friend and the rate he is quoting is the RCI rate with his reason being that the online sites are not allowed to undercut RCI. Not that what they are doing is illegal, I guess just against CLIA policy.

It is also my understanding that OBC comes out of his commission (historically he has given about $100 - $200 depending on the cruise fare. this is at the lower end, so I would assume $100).

I am feeling very guilty for wanting to save $400. Not sure exactly what I am looking for here, except maybe make myself feel better for going with the lower fare and not my friend.

Thanks for letting me unload. If there are any travel agents out there who could give me some insight, that would be greatly appreciated.

Tell your friend what is available to you from the other TA. See if they can somehow match the price....but be careful.....is it really the same price for the exact same cabin would immediately be my question.

Big TA's perhaps guarantee Royal to book a certain amount of cabins and maybe therefore get a better rate or have a way to pass along the reduced costs to them to the cruisers who eventually book with them.....but will it cost you in service....if there ever is a problem that needs to be resolved, will the TA be available to handle it....or is there a 'not mentioned' cancellation fee, should a problem occur on your end that requires you to cancel the cruise.

But discuss it ALL with your friend....they deserve that consideration.

My TA is one of my best friends. First let me say that TA"s commissions have dropped substantially from 4 or 5 years ago. They do not make commission from any airlines, that is why many stopped booking air for customers or charge a fee to book air. My TA made a decent living several years ago now she works 2 jobs.

I would tell my TA about the reduced fare and see if they will match it. That is what I have done with mine. If she can't match the offer she is fine with me booking with someone else. I like the peace of mind of knowing my TA is behind me 100% for all the bumps that occur.

It is illegal for anyone to under cut RCCI or any lines prices. What they can do is offer incentives. I would be leery of any agent cutting cruise prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My TA is one of my best friends. First let me say that TA"s commissions have dropped substantially from 4 or 5 years ago. They do not make commission from any airlines, that is why many stopped booking air for customers or charge a fee to book air. My TA made a decent living several years ago now she works 2 jobs.

I would tell my TA about the reduced fare and see if they will match it. That is what I have done with mine. If she can't match the offer she is fine with me booking with someone else. I like the peace of mind of knowing my TA is behind me 100% for all the bumps that occur.

It is illegal for anyone to under cut RCCI or any lines prices. What they can do is offer incentives. I would be leery of any agent cutting cruise prices.

I am not a TA and I have booked my cruises at times directly with Royal and at other times through a TA. Sometimes I have booked directly then transferred the booking to a TA.

In multiple threads people say 'It is illegal for anyone to undercut RCCI or any lines prices' -- well, I need to see the legal statute that says that.

The CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) of which TA's are a member, probably sets standards. At times we all have seen some incredible prices offered from big online TA's.....I have never booked through them. I would be very worried as to what I was getting and what I was not getting.

I book a cruise at a price that I believe is fair....if the price goes down and I can benefit...great. Some TA's give OBC's great. My TA handled a major problem for me when a sailing was cancelled and she got us a very nice additional OBC and a cabin of equal value to us on another sailing. I don't begrudge them their commission. It matters little to me, that several years ago they were paid more.....lots of thing change.

I would be leery of any online TA offering a price less than what the cruise line offers. You might have to dig a little to find out the different terms.

I know of one online agency that offers "no deposit booking" which RC never does, but this online agency will charge fees if you change, or other things that negate this benefit. This might be one of those deals and the saving of $400.00 might not be worth the stringent terms you're working under.

I feel your pain. My TA is my mother in law. UGH!!! And although she does do a great job of finding us the lowest rate, she is a huge procrastinator and cost us money in airline tickets and hotels. Lesson learned.

I think that the way the big online TA companies get lower rates is they book a large group of rooms at a discounted rate and are able to pass that onto you. It used to be if you booked 8 rooms with a group you received a room free. They probably use the money from that 'free' room to pass on in OBC. Just what I have been thinking personally as I have been researching prices myself.

Yes this does happen, my TA has previously been able to offer us a lower rate that royal's published rate. It was a combination of group space, and the TA having secured that group space when prices overall were lower. We saved hundreds of $

TA can give lower rates with a group cruise but the cruise lines have the right to go back to the TA and ask for all nonbooked cabins which happened on my cruise next week. She had 2 rooms not booked but was waiting for payment from a couple about 3 months before the cruise and my TA had to give up both rooms.

Yes this does happen, my TA has previously been able to offer us a lower rate that royal's published rate. It was a combination of group space, and the TA having secured that group space when prices overall were lower. We saved hundreds of $

The OP has put in their post that they researched prices and found different/lower pricing from Royal on a TA website (see exact wording in red). BekkaW is bringing up a different issue (highlighted in purple). These two situations are NOT the same.

I have gotten 'unadvertised pricing' from a TA on a sailing, because she was able to put us in a "Group Booking". In other situations, any travel agent (I guess) can choose to take less commission and pass that savings onto a cruiser either as a lower price (maybe???) or in an OBC.

When we got the 'unadvertised pricing' from a TA, we were supposed to not pay Royal directly, which I was NOT happy with, because we like to use our Royal credit card and get double points. Somehow she was allowed to get it done and allow us to use our credit card. But the pricing was clearly some 'private promotion' and NOT advertised.

Find out if there are any catches. First, does the lower rate include port taxes and fees? Are you eligible for price drops (if there are any)? What is the cancellation policy? If you're sure you're comparing apples to apples, I'd tell the friend exactly why you want to book the cheaper rate.

Find out if there are any catches. First, does the lower rate include port taxes and fees? Are you eligible for price drops (if there are any)? What is the cancellation policy? If you're sure you're comparing apples to apples, I'd tell the friend exactly why you want to book the cheaper rate.

Good points. I would also ask about change fees, limits on price drops, and reduction in perks if the price drops.

The cheaper TA has a group rate that your friend doesn't have access to. Your friend is either dishonest with you, or not a very good TA if they don't actually know that that's what goes on. Either case would have me reconsidering using them. Like someone else said, would you hand them $400?

Do you take the lowest price from a contractor? Maybe, maybe not. In this case, what really matters is if you think $400 is beyond your threshold to book with someone else. It appears it is, and I don't blame you. That's pretty substantial for a cruise.

Make sure both TA are quoting apples for apples. On a cruise a couple we know was quoted and shown a photo of the cabin for 3. When they got on the ship it was nothing like the had been shown a photo of. Ask what floor and category, that makes a difference too could be the price difference.