Viking Sea Update - engine issues - and general info

Celiac Cruiser

Although I'm a native New Englander I choose not to eat members of the bug family. My wife loves bug rolls, etc.

Whoa! I hope you haven't opened yourself up to that 3 hour lecture about the differences among bugs, insects and arthropods!

Although I'm a native New Englander I choose not to eat members of the bug family. My wife loves bug rolls, etc.

Philistine!! Your New England credential are hereby revoked!!!!!

And I never eat that stuff outside of New England; they just don't know how to cook it.

-The other helpful hint is since there is no clock in the room, I downloaded the app (free) "The Clocks"by Meanterm onto my iPad and use that as the room clock. It stays on all the time, you can darkern it by turning down your screen brightness.

I'm a longtime NightStand user. Highly recommend. Supports both iPad and iPhone. The one time charge of $2.99 to enable all its features and get rid of ads is worth it. Have been using it for over 5 yrs. So far has kept up with IOS updates. Developer very responsive to any issues you have too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

-in the World Cafe, realize that the 2 sides are not identical. I think it is just the Cold section that differs. Like today for lunch, one side had cold snow crab legs and other chilled seafood while the other side just had salads. At dinner, one side of the Cold section has Sushi, the other side has salads.

On the topic of slightly different stuff on each side. In the morning, the selection of juices on each side is not the same. OJ on both sides but Cranberry juice isn't and I swear to God they switched which side it was on randomly. So more days than not, whichever side I thought it must be wasn't. So I got to visit both sides alot. And I think the ice cream is only on one side.

FYI - I was in the Star. If that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, the gelato is on only one side (port). (On the Sky) The juices I couldn't tell you about because for the whole 22 days we were onboard I never used a self service machine! Every time we sat down they asked us what we wanted (tomato juice, whatever...) and brought it with a smile. In the evening the sushi seafood bar thing was also on the port side (we don't eat seafood). The salad bar also was port side at lunch. Pizza was starboard. Specialty sandwiches at lunch were starboard. Plus...you could go to the pool grill and get onion rings or burgers or fries and bring them into the World Cafe to eat. To be honest, I saw french fries in the World Cafe and I took one (really!) and it was cold so I never did it again. But if you went to the pool bar and got the onion rings or french fries they seemed to be cooked to order. I did it once. I was trying to be good....

Edited by stretchcruz

I spoke with a fellow cruiser yesterday who did the Viking folk dance excursion in SPB. She said it was OK (not very good). "Too amateurish" (Someone asked earlier- sorry forgot who)
That's interesting. I had read a few posts in other threads where people loved the show. As in all things, different people, different expectations and reactions.

That's interesting. I had read a few posts in other threads where people loved the show. As in all things, different people, different expectations and reactions.

Or else different shows. The show at Nicholevsky palace is not the only one it seems and many of are talking about that show (the one with the pillars on the stage).

I spoke with a fellow cruiser yesterday who did the Viking folk dance excursion in SPB. She said it was OK (not very good). "Too amateurish" (Someone asked earlier- sorry forgot who)

Thanks for posting--I have been curious about the show.

Instead of all of this chatter about stateroom storage space, excursions and entertainment, what about the "engine issues" on the Viking Sea? Inquiring minds want to know what happened, and how did Viking Cruises accommodate the passengers who were inconvenienced.

DrBanjo

Instead of all of this chatter about stateroom storage space, excursions and entertainment, what about the "engine issues" on the Viking Sea? Inquiring minds want to know what happened, and how did Viking Cruises accommodate the passengers who were inconvenienced.

DrBanjo

Viking has a known issue with the transformers in the propulsion system ("known" as in has occurred before and has been discussed here on Cruise Critic). The Star had similar problems in its first year and even though Viking thought they had the problem resolved, the same thing has now happened to the Sea.

I am sure that Viking is continuing to work on resolving the problem; however, as Viking has always been very private about these issues, we cannot expect that things will be any different this go round and there will be no official public statements from Viking as to what has happened, what they are doing about it or what accommodations are being offered for any inconveniences suffered.

I am on the ship (Sea) and the only public announcement (several days ago) was that one engine had problems and we would not make it to Gdansk but stopped at Bornholm instead. They said the rest of the cruise would continue as scheduled and it has. There has been no announcement about the status of the engine. I will ask at Guest Relations later and report back.

One guest had planned this trip for 2 years just for the purpose of visiting her father's birthplace - you guessed it - Gdansk. She was practically in tears as she told me her story. I suggested she talk to Guest Realtions and maybe they would try to make it right with a future cruise discount -or something. She talked to them and was met with a stone wall.

Today is Aalborg. Our streak of sunny and warm has ended - I guess I jinxed it. It is cloudy and in the low 60's.

Cheers

Viking has a known issue with the transformers in the propulsion system ("known" as in has occurred before and has been discussed here on Cruise Critic). The Star had similar problems in its first year and even though Viking thought they had the problem resolved, the same thing has now happened to the Sea.

Fortunately, I am an electrical engineer. And a Scot.

Just get me into the engine room next week and I'll be getin' more power outa the Impulse engines.

Just get me into the engine room next week and I'll be getin' more power outa the Impulse engines.

Lol, I wonder how many will get this, lol:'):'):'):')

Yeah, right. Like they are going to let any guest into the engine room, especially right now. Dream on, Scottie, dream on.

I am on the ship (Sea) and the only public announcement (several days ago) was that one engine had problems and we would not make it to Gdansk but stopped at Bornholm instead. They said the rest of the cruise would continue as scheduled and it has. There has been no announcement about the status of the engine. I will ask at Guest Relations later and report back.

One guest had planned this trip for 2 years just for the purpose of visiting her father's birthplace - you guessed it - Gdansk. She was practically in tears as she told me her story. I suggested she talk to Guest Realtions and maybe they would try to make it right with a future cruise discount -or something. She talked to them and was met with a stone wall.

Today is Aalborg. Our streak of sunny and warm has ended - I guess I jinxed it. It is cloudy and in the low 60's.

Cheers

Unfortunately, she has run into the fine print of the cruise contract, the part where it says that the cruise line has the right to make last minute changes to the itinerary, etc, etc.

If anyone has lost money because they made a non-refundable payment for a shorex and they have trip insurance, they should get a statement from Viking that they can include as part of the claim against the insurance company. Guest services should be able to provide it.

Yeah, right. Like they are going to let any guest into the engine room, especially right now. Dream on, Scottie, dream on.

On a river cruise we had a fascinating (to me, anyway) presentation by the ship's engineer. Engines & stuff. :cool:

Viking's touted "hybrid engines" are a pair of huge 12 cylinder diesels that generate electricity that is stored in batteries that turn the screws and light up the ship.

Not I, but I heard that some engineer guests wrangled their way into a Longship engine room. Most likely safety & liability issues prohibit such visits except when the Chief Engineer says screw company policy. A few single malt beverages for the Chief Engineer will be my gateway. :evilsmile:

<p>

Listen to 'the man'.<br>

<br>

<a href="

" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
James Doohan, Scotty, was a D Day veteran who was wounded and I believe lost some fingers. He will be with us in spirit working the transformers & engines. Hope they dinna gonna blow!

<p>James Doohan, Scotty, was a D Day veteran who was wounded and I believe lost some fingers. He will be with us in spirit working the transformers & engines. Hope they dinna gonna blow!

He never had anything negative said about him, a gentleman to the end