Explorer review by a first time cruiser

tideview, thank you for writing a most interesting review on what what sounds like a unique Explorer experience.

You bring up a good point regarding 7 night cruises -- it is not usually possible to get extra dining reservations on short itineraries since Regent makes sure that every passenger has the opportunity to dine in each specialty restaurant one and 7 nights.

Sorry to hear that there are large groups onboard - that always makes things "different" (for lack of a better word)l. Typically the Captain's Reception has a long line out of the door to get in and lectures are well attended.

It sounds as if Regent is trying to advertise their low-selling Mediterranean itineraries to travel agents which is fine but should not be done at the expense of paying passengers.

Hoping that you will continue to enjoy your cruise!

I'm finding that I may need to look beyond Explorer for our next cruise given she has no Alaskan itineraries coming up. I think we will stay with Regent as our preference. Any thoughts on which of the other three Regent ships is the best would be appreciated? I can't do tired cabins. Needs to be snappy and pretty up to date like the Explorer.

We have mostly sailed on Voyager, twice on Navigator, and never on Mariner. We love Voyager with nicely updated suites and lovely public spaces. We will not sail on Navigator again as I dislike the vibration and general instability. I have been seasick each time - never on the Voyager. I also don't like the cramped public spaces.

I also recommend the Voyager and do not sail on the Navigator. Voyager is a beautiful ship and is well laid out. She does have an aft vibration (not a bad a the Navigator) but if you avoid aft suites, you'll be fine.

Mariner is an interesting ship and I would recommend her after her $50M refurbishment early next year. Mariner public spaces are lovely and she is the most stable ship of the four (in the opinion of many). The only downside to the Mariner is the small cabins ("small" compared to Voyager and Explorer). Her PH suites are amazing and I highly recommend them.

Don't ask me - I'll sail any Regent ship anywhere, any time. We've done Explorer once, Voyager once, Mariner twice, and Navigator three times...and we've loved them all.

Guess I'm just inherently easy to please.

Don't ask me - I'll sail any Regent ship anywhere, any time. We've done Explorer once, Voyager once, Mariner twice, and Navigator three times...and we've loved them all.

Guess I'm just inherently easy to please.

So, Mr. Easy to Please (:halo:), since you are familiar with the "G" category suites on Explorer, do you think that you would love to stay in one? While I would't want to, I guess it is better than not being on the Explorer at all (I'm saying this knowing full well that there is no way on earth that my DH would stay in it - nor will he stay in a "regular" Mariner suite).

P.S. Hope that you know that I'm giving you a hard time just because I can (without you taking it the wrong way).:D

We just returned from a cruise on the Explorer and had no problems in a G2 suite. Yes, it is not as large as F ones and those above, but we only slept and changed clothes there. We enjoyed the balcony. Guess we aren't as picky as some.

We just returned from a cruise on the Explorer and had no problems in a G2 suite. Yes, it is not as large as F ones and those above, but we only slept and changed clothes there. We enjoyed the balcony. Guess we aren't as picky as some.

I'm curious to know if you have sailed in the smallest suites on either the Navigator or Voyager. The question arose when I was speaking to my TA. It seems that people that are not used to the suites on Navigator or Voyager have no problem with the "G" suites. However, those passengers that pay the same amount for a "G" or "H" suite on the other ships are generally appalled by the size of the closet and bathroom on the Explorer.

So, Mr. Easy to Please (:halo:), since you are familiar with the "G" category suites on Explorer, do you think that you would love to stay in one? While I would't want to, I guess it is better than not being on the Explorer at all (I'm saying this knowing full well that there is no way on earth that my DH would stay in it - nor will he stay in a "regular" Mariner suite).

P.S. Hope that you know that I'm giving you a hard time just because I can (without you taking it the wrong way).:D

TC, yeah, I'd stay in one...but considering that the premium to move up to an F2 is usually only about $50/night pp, for us it's money well spent. Having the extra space, bigger closet, and dual sinks helps greatly with maintaining the marital bliss.

I also recommend the Voyager and do not sail on the Navigator. Voyager is a beautiful ship and is well laid out. She does have an aft vibration (not a bad a the Navigator) but if you avoid aft suites, you'll be fine.

Mariner is an interesting ship and I would recommend her after her $50M refurbishment early next year. Mariner public spaces are lovely and she is the most stable ship of the four (in the opinion of many). The only downside to the Mariner is the small cabins ("small" compared to Voyager and Explorer). Her PH suites are amazing and I highly recommend them.

TC are Mariner PH suite bathrooms as nice as Explorer Concierge? In particular separate (decent sized) bath and shower?

In our opinion, Mariner PH Suite bathrooms are not as luxurious as those in Explorer D, E & F suites, but are still OK

There is only a single basin, not a double.

As far as the bath/shower there is a choice of either a bath with shower over or shower only (marked with a star on the deck plans). We like the shower only option; it takes up the same space where the bath used to be so is large and has a good rain-head as well as a hand-held head. The bath/shower combo gives the worst of both (bath too small and shower height insufficient).

It will be interesting to see if they do anything with the bathrooms on Mariner when she is refurbished next year. If the Voyager is anything to go by it is unlikely they will do anything very extensive.

I'm curious to know if you have sailed in the smallest suites on either the Navigator or Voyager. The question arose when I was speaking to my TA. It seems that people that are not used to the suites on Navigator or Voyager have no problem with the "G" suites. However, those passengers that pay the same amount for a "G" or "H" suite on the other ships are generally appalled by the size of the closet and bathroom on the Explorer.

I have sailed in Cat H on Navigator, Mariner, and Voyager; I like all three. Of the three ships, Mariner is my favorite due to it's public spaces; the smaller cabin and choice of bath or shower are small price to pay for having a much nicer ship. As for Explorer, I think G2 is plenty large; no need to go up to F2 for dual sinks as we don't get ready at same time. $2400 for a 24 day cruise (using Bill's numbers since i don't remember difference for our last cruise) is a lot of money that could go for a lot of other travel.

Marc

TC are Mariner PH suite bathrooms as nice as Explorer Concierge? In particular separate (decent sized) bath and shower?

I agree with what flossie009 said for now but they will be quite a bit more luxurious after the major refurbishment next year. I hear that the furnishings will resemble the Explorer. One thing they won't be changing is the size of the bathrooms and the closets that are smaller than on Explorer (or Regent's other ships). IMO, the PH suites on Mariner are a really good size and laid out better than Explorer's PH suites.

The bottom line for me is that no other Regent ship can match up to Explorer in terms of public spaces and their "F" and Concierge Suites. The one thing that is the same on all ships is the service, the food and the amazing crew!

P.S. flossie, we have been told that taking out the marble/granite(?) in the old bathrooms is too time consuming to do during a 2 weeks refurbishment and too noisy to do while the ships are at sea. Unless they have found a way to replace the marble, IMO, the bathrooms will remain dated.

No, this was our first Regent cruise. We have stayed in balcony suites on Holland American, Celebrity and Princess. Easy to see how Regent will spoil you.

No, this was our first Regent cruise. We have stayed in balcony suites on Holland American, Celebrity and Princess. Easy to see how Regent will spoil you.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first Regent cruise!. IMO, the "G" suites are lovely in terms of amenities, décor and the balcony. Where it falls short is with repeat Regent cruisers that have not sailed in a suite (on Regent) that has such a small bathroom and closet. Guess we are very spoiled (but in a good way):D

Our TA books a lot of Regent cruises (and sails on many as well). Because of their experience with Regent, they hear the complaints as well as the positives. When they recommend that we not book a particular suite, we put a lot of credence in their suggestion as they are the experts - not me.

Interestingly, just last week we discussed the Horizon View Suites on Mariner (we will be sailing Mariner again in August). They recommended against it and felt that the "bedroom" was so tiny that it was more like a closet. PaulaJK indicated above that the bathroom was the smallest they have ever seen on a cruise ship. So, once again, our TA's advice was good.

Paula, if you would like to see an even smaller bathroom, check out the "G" suites on Explorer. I think there is a picture somewhere on CC. It definitely has the smallest closet that I've ever seen.

Very surprised to hear negative comments about the Horizon Suites on Mariner.

We love to sail in them (Decks 8 or 9, excluding Suite 990). Good size suite (8% larger than an Explorer D, E or F and under 5% less than a Mariner PH), excellent layout, huge balcony and splendid views :)

Flossie,

We most certainly did enjoy the large veranda with its fabulous views [the wake is mesmerizing]. The 'living room' is very large and then there is the generously sized dining table area. Since we don't dine en suite we would have loved to see this space

allocated to the bathroom and rather tight bedroom... just us. We also found the closet wonderfully generous.

Would I book it again? ...........yes.