First time on NCL, questions about upgrade bidding?

We are booked on the Norwegian epic for 7 night Mediterranean cruise. It's my first NCL cruise. I'm thinking of upgrading to a two bedroom family suite for four of us --- right now we are in a family mini-suite, but my husband is claustrophobic and it would be great to switch.

It would cost us about $3000 more to upgrade though ---from $3800 to $6800. I can't really justify that, but my sisters is also on the cruise, and if she put the cost of her solo room towards the Haven, and we all shared it, the extra cost to us would be about $2000.

Still pretty steep though, plus both my kids would have to sleep in the living room because she'd have the second bedroom.

I'm thinking maybe I should just hold out and see if I get one of these upgrade offers after PIF date. The thing is I'm using a travel agent who is really bad --- I don't trust them to let me know if I an offer. It would come to the travel agent right? Do they offer everybody a chance to bid, or just certain people?

We are booked on the Norwegian epic for 7 night Mediterranean cruise. It's my first NCL cruise. I'm thinking of upgrading to a two bedroom family suite for four of us --- right now we are in a family mini-suite, but my husband is claustrophobic and it would be great to switch.

It would cost us about $3000 more to upgrade though ---from $3800 to $6800. I can't really justify that, but my sisters is also on the cruise, and if she put the cost of her solo room towards the Haven, and we all shared it, the extra cost to us would be about $2000.

Still pretty steep though, plus both my kids would have to sleep in the living room because she'd have the second bedroom.

I'm thinking maybe I should just hold out and see if I get one of these upgrade offers after PIF date. The thing is I'm using a travel agent who is really bad --- I don't trust them to let me know if I an offer. It would come to the travel agent right? Do they offer everybody a chance to bid, or just certain people?

We were in a spa balcony and found that it was actually cheaper for us to pay the upgrade to a spa Havens than bid on it (in the "Fair" range). And, by actually paying for the room, we got all of the Perks for free (including the 3rd and 4th person sail free - on selected sailings). Something for you to consider.

NCL does not send out emails any longer. Around 80 days to cruise, the "Let's Get You Upgraded" banner will appear on your MyNCL account. You are given a "slider" to move up the price range and the dial on the screen will tell you if your bid is "poor", "fair", "good", "very good", "excellent".

In the example below, bidding from a balcony to a Havens courtyard ranged from $500 per person (poor) to $2000 per person (excellent) for the first 2 passengers in the room.

58fe5a03724b8a4447cac84ec0c9e5a6.jpg

fa115834286ecb4a6d878a696d9b3d6b.jpg

NCL does not send out emails any longer. Around 80 days to cruise, the "Let's Get You Upgraded" banner will appear on your MyNCL account. You are given a "slider" to move up the price range and the dial on the screen will tell you if your bid is "poor", "fair", "good", "very good", "excellent".

How new is that? I booked about a month ago, (sailing in July) and got an invitation email - there's no banner anywhere on MyNCL.

The bidding email will come to you. But if your husband is claustrophobic, how will he manage if you don't land an upgrade?

He's not going to be happy in the family mini suite with the four of us but he could do it. He would just appreciate the large room, and since he's not a big fan of cruising and rarely goes with us I'd really like to make sure he enjoyed himself.

Also realize if you bid on haven room and get it your sister is still in her solo room so she wont be able to be in the Haven with you.

?

I'm confused by this part. Are you saying you want to upgrade the mini suite to a 2 bedroom for 5 people AND cancel the solo room? If you are past final payment I'm not sure that you'll be able to cancel a room as part of your upgrade without penalties. If this is something you are considering you will want to call your TA ASAP. Also keep in mind that if you upgrade your room and your sister stays in the solo cabin, that she won't be able join you at any of the haven areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are not past paid in full to date. So my sister could cancel her room and we would upgrade and add her to our room is the plan. I called NCL, and they said that there is a couch and bunk bed in the living room my boys would sleep on, so my sister would still have her own room and bathroom.

We are not past paid in full to date. So my sister could cancel her room and we would upgrade and add her to our room is the plan. I called NCL, and they said that there is a couch and bunk bed in the living room my boys would sleep on, so my sister would still have her own room and bathroom.

I may be wrong but the timing does not work out. Your sister would have to cancel before final payment but you won't know if you receive the upgrade possibly until right before sailing. I guess if you do not get it you could get her a room last minute if your cruise is not sold out.

All the free perks they're offering now if I upgrade will not be available if I did the upgrade later?

If you wait to bid on an upgrade you get to keep your current perks but do not get any additional ones. If you upgrade now you will receive all of the perks offered for your sailing. I believe that the gratuities are also included in that so you wont have to pay the extra to get the "free" UBP and SDP. You would also more than likely get more On Board Credit since you are moving up to a higher class room. If you planned on spending money on the ship you could factor that into the cost as well, thus lowering the difference some more.

Is your sister willing to chip in any extra as well for the upgrade? She will end up getting to use all the amenities as well. you could just say that it is a $2000 difference and divide that by 5 people and have her chip in $400 extra on top of her room cost if she could swing it. To me it is probably worth the extra cost as well as having all 5 of you in one suite.

What ship are you on because I've been in the two bedroom suites on a bunch of them and the bunk bed has always been in the bedroom. Only a single sleeper couch is in the living room on the Dawn, Jewel and Breakaway

What ship are you on because I've been in the two bedroom suites on a bunch of them and the bunk bed has always been in the bedroom. Only a single sleeper couch is in the living room on the Dawn, Jewel and Breakaway

None of the ships have bunk beds in the living room - just the couch.

For any of this to work, it must be booked BEFORE final payment. No upgrade bidding in this process.

And, the 3 suites we have been in did NOT have a bunk in the living room - only in the little bedroom.

You could of course - MAYBE get the upgrade but that does not happen until well after final payment date.