Zaandam, BA to Vancouver, 2017 - Better late than never?

Vict0riann

We've been back almost a month, and I'm still sorting and deleting photographs, but I thought I had better get started on this or it will never get done.

Zaandam is one of the older ships, quite small, and easy to get around. We enjoyed our 35 days on board and the trip was uneventful, weather-wise. Of course, the "highlight of highlights" was a circumnavigation of Cape Horn. You will have read all about it on Roy's blog, so I won't elaborate too much, but it definitely was a once-in-a-lifetime treat. Captain Turner told us he had never done the circumnavigation and neither had our CD, Mark, so it was a special event for them, too, I think.

We spent 2 nights in Buenos Aires before the cruise. A bunch of people from the roll call went to Iguazu Falls beforehand, but we decided just to take a little time to recover from the long flights. Then, we started the cruise with an extra full day in BA, so we did a bit of sightseeing with our CC friends Popcan and his DW. We had booked a stateroom near theirs on the LP deck, but they got an upgrade to a verandah! The LP deck was very convenient, though, for any scenic cruising, and we had an almost private exit to the promenade at the aft of the ship.

Everything on the ship was in pretty good condition. If you wanted to search, there might have been a bit of rust here and there, and there were two staterooms on our deck that seemed to be under water most of the cruise, fans going all the time, and plumbers working in the ceiling with the beds standing on end. I wonder if one was the stateroom that was booked by Popcan?

The crew and staff, of course, were great. We have come to expect that, and probably wouldn't even remark on them unless they were less than great! Our room stewards, Heri and Putu, had great senses of humour, and even put up with my DH's Irish wit... We started out eating most evenings in the MDR, but later in the cruise, and especially after long tours, we ate mainly in the Lido Market or one of the specialty restaurants. The Pinnacle was especially good on the Zaandam, we ate there about 8 times, and also went to Le Cirque and the Cellar Master's Dinner (there was only 1 in the whole 36 days). We ate in the Canaletto quite frequently, too, usually with a group of 6 or 8, which meant we got to try a lot of dishes. It was a very nice venue in the evenings, much quieter than the MDR. We ate there a couple of times on our own, too, and that was nice as well, and we could choose our own favourite dishes (and not have to share!).

I would be happy to answer any questions, if I can.

We loaded a lot of food in BA, and it was fascinating watching the proceedings from the promenade. Everything was inspected by a sniffer dog, and I have never seen a happier animal. The tail was going the whole time, and I think there were treats given!

ccdeff926536a3bd0a693e6877e143f3.jpg

bb34c108ccd65bf85c5852ff95ca27e1.jpg

I'm not sure if he found anything untoward...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had a great cruise Ann.

Glad you got a Cellar Master dinner on your cruise. We had none on the Rotterdam.

I saw no mention of a Master Chef Table. Did you have one on your cruise? We didn't. (all being evaluated by Seattle, we were told).

Love your picture of the dog too!

Thanks for your comments.:) Kazu, we asked multiple times about a Cellar Master's or Master Chef's Dinner. Finally, the CM was organized for late in the cruise - and it was chock-a-block full. We saw the menu a week or so earlier, and then the Cellar Master, Andrew, took a tumble playing basketball and broke his ankle. He disembarked in Manta, and his replacement, Czaba, changed the menu around a bit, and it was a memorable meal. We really enjoyed it. I don't imagine there is any chance of one when we are on Rotterdam in October, just for a week!

TC, you were missed. But I think you have done the cruise before? Certainly, the Horn was the highlight, but I have to say, as shouldn't, that the tour I sort of organized (with South American's Secrets) in General San Martin to the Ballestas Islands and the Paracas Reserve was amazing. We ended up with 42 people on 2 boats, and one roll call member said he had never taken so many photographs in one place! It was a strange way of organizing most of the tours that it turned out that everyone did their own reservations, and no one was really in charge. It made for less responsibility, but more confusion!

Also we had a very good tour in Costa Rica with GIO Tours. Similar to one we had done before, but without the zip-lining!:eek:

As far as ports, we thought Montevideo was wonderful. Old Europe in South America. We walked and walked and walked all over the city and to and from the ship.

Our Location Guide, Ryan, was the best! He was so knowledgable and interesting. We learned a great deal about the history, etc., of each place, so that we arrived with some background and knowing what we wanted to see.

And the ship's shore excursions we did were excellent. Much smaller groups than we have had before, reasonable prices, and comfortable busses. We did the 4-wheel drive tour to Bluff Cove and went over very rough terrain - some private tours were cancelled or changed because of all the rain they had had in the Falklands making the routes impassable to other penguin colonies. It's really hard to pick a favourite, the whole cruise was great! I could go on and on!

Hi Ann,

We are cruising from San Diego to Valparaiso and would love more information about the tour out of Lima in General San Martin to the Ballestas Islands and the Paracas Reserve. This area appears very interesting, can you please give the details?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

General San Martin port is not near anything and on the edge of the Peruvian desert. I had thought the Paracas Reserve would be a jungle, and boy was I surprised!

I had read a blog where the tour company, South Americans Secrets was recommended, so I checked them on Tripadvisor, and then got in touch. Lucio responded quickly, which I have learned is a good thing, so I posted it on our roll call, and lots of people signed up. There was no deposit to pay, and they did all the organizing. There was a bit of confusion on the day, as there was evidently a line of trucks trying to get into the port which delayed their bus, but Diego got in and reassured us. The drive to Paracas was not long, about 20 minutes, and the boats were waiting. They had two "classes", and you could book either a regular seat, two beside each other, or a two seat bench for one person. Pat and I booked the latter, so we could sit on opposite sides of the boat. It was not a long ride, something over an hour and a half, I think, but the islands were amazing, covered with birds, including Humboldt penguins, and sea lions.

As I mentioned, we were 42 people, so we had two boats.. After the boat ride, we had a break in Paracas port, time for a drink, etc., and they collected the money. After that, some people went back to the ship, and the rest of us went out into the desert, which was very interesting, too. More birds, fossils, and tons and tons of salt!

Our boat:

8dfd8fc829b55cf4d9ced63e403f638f.jpg

The smaller boat:

d397fd7299552ed016fb1c4d8bdaf0a4.jpg

You definitely need a hat and sunscreen!

In the desert:

7a83157f130368f72eb09b5527650a0e.jpg

I'm having computer problems today, and my first try on Tapatalk I got kicked out, so I'm now trying again! I won't add so many pictures!

The Seaview Pool is guarded by two cows:

357320cfaf756732eafc9951bda73179.jpg

The day started out a bit breezy when we went around the Horn. The cows bore the brunt of it!

1e1138161dd8e5e3698070ffd28aba90.jpg

Ryan is an interesting case. He was Location Guide on most of my Koningsdam cruise (He left in Curacao for "another ship"). My impression there was that he was just average. That made it doubly stunning for the standout he was on the Zaandam. His passion for geography, and history I think made it a fascinating cruise for anybody who took the time to watch. I'm sure he was also a cut above for Hawaii and Alaska.

I'm not sure any location guide would have impressed me that much talking about shopping and beaches but where there was a difference to be made Ryan was a standout and a perfect match for that cruise.

Roy

He was a standout, Roy. [emoji2]. He said he would be doing the Antarctic season next year, too. He helped me write up my map of our cruise, and also got Captain Turner to sign it for us. Great souvenir!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ann, keep up the great report! We are on this cruise (well, part of it anyway) next March. Just signed up early in the week for the same General San Martin tour which a kind person on our roll is organizing.

Thanks again and we think Zaandam is our favorite ship - loved the ship and the places it takes us!

Arie