Which one would you choose ?

nimiq

Hello all,

Can I get you opinion on this one.

Which itinerary and Princess ship would you choose between these two and why ?

Coral Princess :

a01a3d0d8b1e95e493db2da38686a7dc.jpg

Star Princess :

fd55645c10abb708f8dacc937ee7faac.jpg

Thanks

Sea ya

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Itinerary:

Strongly prefer College Fjord over Hubbard Glacier.

Also the longer calls at Juneau and Skagway; a half day at Ketchikan is more than adequate.

Ships:

Coral has 600 fewer passengers than Star. Also the Universe Lounge, the best showroom in the fleet.

Star has Skywalker's nightclub, Crown Grill, and the Piazza Venues.

Both have indoor pools.

Some people would suggest changing to the week before or after so you can sail on Coral with the Northbound itinerary.

But if you can't I would still choose the Star Northbound.

Though there is the argument that it is better to get the longer flight to Alaska out of the way pre-cruise rather than post. Plus to arrive a couple days early for a land tour...

Itinerary:

Strongly prefer College Fjord over Hubbard Glacier.

Also the longer calls at Juneau and Skagway; a half day at Ketchikan is more than adequate.

Ships:

Coral has 600 fewer passengers than Star. Also the Universe Lounge, the best showroom in the fleet.

Star has Skywalker's nightclub, Crown Grill, and the Piazza Venues.

Both have indoor pools.

Some people would suggest changing to the week before or after so you can sail on Coral with the Northbound itinerary.

But if you can't I would still choose the Star Northbound.

Though there is the argument that it is better to get the longer flight to Alaska out of the way pre-cruise rather than post. Plus to arrive a couple days early for a land tour...

Hello,

Thanks for this first quick response that's what I thought about the Star as well.

How about if I add this one in the list ?

Ruby Princess

7b2319d608e80752f0b5e1917719910e.jpg

I like the Coral southbound since I prefer to fly home from Vancouver 2.5 hour flight vs ANC, 2 planes and 8-9 hours. The itinerary looks great. We loved Hubbard and College Fjord, Glacier Bay was interesting both times, but I loved Hubbard the most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm more of a 10 day round trip SF to Alaska kind of guy. :) Since you are in Canada I would go with the suggestion above that you check out the round trip from Vancouver.

Given your actual questions though I am a mixed bag and my preferences don't really coincide with your queries.

I prefer Coral Princess to Star Princess (although I do like Star). In addition to the advantages of Coral listed in a post above it also has Alfredo's pizza served in Sabatini's at lunch time. Vastly superior to the pizza served on Lido deck which is all you can get on Star. (Yes, I know people say that is great pizza but my wife and I think it is pathetic. Very little sauce and very little flavor. Bleh...)

I do agree with the statement made above "the longer calls at Juneau and Skagway; a half day at Ketchikan is more than adequate."

We have done Alaska twice so far and haven't seen College Fjord so I'd like to see that.

I prefer to get the longer flight done first. (Like I said I prefer the round trip from SF which is a 3 hour drive rather than a flight.)

The bottom line is that whichever cruise you select it will likely be a good cruise.

The cruise on the Coral would be my first pick. It's a smaller ship, you get more time in Ketichikan (IMHO a half day is not enough), and you have a sea day at the end to relax and pack up. Also, southbound ships tend to have a smoother ride than northbound ships.

We have been on the Coral and the Ruby to Alaska. Although I did like the round trip aspect we preferred the smaller size of Coral and I like College Fjord over Hubbard Glacier. On the Ruby it was always difficult to find a seat in the Horizon Court for Breakfast and didn't want to take the time to go to the dinning room as we wanted to get off the ship early. We had no problems on Coral or her sister Island Princess. We went out of Seattle once and I do not recommend that at all. It goes outside of Vancouver Island rather than inside where the scenery is much better since you don't really see any from Seattle. Regardless of which ship or itinerary you choose, Alaska is an amazing place. We have been 3 times and I wouldn't hesitate to go again.

The Coral is our favorite ship, but would happily book the Star southbound out of Whittier. I find the late-night flights out of Anchorage at the end of a cruise an exhausting way to end the vacation, vs flying into Anchorage a day early. Also love staying an extra day in Vancouver at the end, if possible, and from a practical standpoint have many more flight options home. As far as scenic sailing, we've found southbound more interesting as we've typically sailed closer to the shore heading for the huge Hubbard glacier, and the last sea day provides beautiful (close) views of the land and islands - a great way to end the cruise. Have a wonderful time whichever you choose - Alaska is amazing!

Coral for the following reasons:

- Horizon Court is in the front of the ship which makes it a great spot to sit and watch for whales, seals, otters, etc. while moving through the Alaskan waterways.

- Size of the ship, less passengers and the feel of the ship.

- Fly home from Vancouver

I have been on both Star and Coral. I definitely prefer the Coral, like pretty much everything about it.

Northbound on Star because...

1. Longer stops at the more interesting ports;

2. Prefer going north to Alaska as each day takes you deeper and deeper into Alaska instead of each day taking you closer back to Vancouver. That way the cruise builds as a crescendo toward Glacier Bay instead of a decrescendo with the best parts in your rear view mirror. Purely a psychological reason, but one that I stand by.

Would prefer B2B too.

Agree B2B from Vancouver if at all possible. We did this on the Crown and the weather was terrific in one direction but not great in the other. B2B gave us two chances to enjoy the scenery.

If you do opt for Hubbard Glacier but would like to see College Fjord, the 26 Glacier trip from Whittier goes to the start of College Fjord if you can fit it in before your cruise.

I've never sailed on either ship so cannot comment.