Communicating in Greece?

melaniez24

We're spending one day pre-cruise in Athens & I'm wondering if most of the tourist-y places speak English or should we learn a few Greek words to communicate w/ employees at restaurants, stores, etc? Are menus & signs in English as well? This is my first time in Europe so it's all new to me. Thanks!!

We're spending one day pre-cruise in Athens & I'm wondering if most of the tourist-y places speak English or should we learn a few Greek words to communicate w/ employees at restaurants, stores, etc? Are menus & signs in English as well? This is my first time in Europe so it's all new to me. Thanks!!

Just returned from Athens. English is very common (language and signs). Just be ready for some of that English to be spoken with a bit of an Australian accent. Apparently, there was a large post WWII exodus of Greeks to Australia and then repopulation back over the years (at least that's what our driver and a few other locals had to say when queried about their excellent language skills).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

English is spoken almost everywhere, all under 40's are able to communicate in English especially at tourist sites. A few words are polite and good, thank you, men/women if no signs re toilets etc

However Greek is limited as a lingo outside Greece and so most younger people have a knowledge and menu's are usually also printed in English

English is fine all over Europe, especially in touristy places like major cities (Athens included). With the global economy, most Europeans are used to working in English at least sometimes. English is the lingua franca in Europe.

I agree with all of the above. You'll have no trouble being understood in Athens. Still, it is a nice gesture to learn how to say "please" "thank you" and "hello" (at a minimum).

One other tip -- if you are navigating around Athens on your own it may be helpful to have a map with the street names in the Greek alphabet as well as in the English rendering. Occasionally it makes it easier to match up where you are.

Anywhere even remotely touristy you will not have difficulty to converse in English.

True, that with the Australian accent! Melbourne in Australia is apparently the second largest Greek community other than Athens. More Greeks in Melbourne than in Greece' second largest city.

And EVERYONE you speak to has a cousin or uncle in Australia! :-)

Many public transport signs , at least in the cities, will be in Greek and also in English. But it wont hurt to familiarize yourself with the Greek alphabet and of course learn a few phrases in Greek.

Makes the locals smile and appreciate your effort

We have traveled independently throughout Greece and the Greek Islands frequently. We typically avoid large hotels etc. in favour of smaller, family run establishments.

You will absolutely not have a language challenge. Greece is one of our favourites. As per the OP, everyone seems to have a brother, son, cousin in Canada.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...