Walt Disney World

shirlden

I would like to plan a day at Walt Disney World when we are in Port Canaveral, I have a few questions I hope some of you can help with. My understanding is because there is only about 7 hours in the park you need to go organized and know what you want to do. We have never been and will be taking my 5 year old granddaughter. Any must see or must do for a 5 year old? We are going in February on a week day should we waste our money on a fast pass. Does anyone have a itinerary that they did that seemed like they got the most out of such a short visit? Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Lol, well there will be lines, op, you will be getting to the park (assume you will be going to the MK) well after opening I would think, so there will most def be some lines. What time of year are you going? It has a big impact on how crowded the park is. Spending 7 hours in a Disney Park is akin to watching the first 15 minutes of a movie. That said, highlights can be had, with planning. Go to your library and get a book on the MK (like Fodurs) and things to hit first (the ones where the longer you wait the longer the lines are). For a five year old, it's a small world, dumbo, Peter Pan's wild ride are all in the same area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When Disney posts the park schedules for February, check the hours that the park you are interested in will be open.

If it is an off peak day, hours may be shorten and all the lines for a ride may not be open which means lines will be longer. Also, if it is a holiday weekend or week, the park may reach capacity early and no one else will be allowed to enter except pass holders and guests staying on site in a Disney hotel.

Also, a five year old will be exhausted by a full day in the park without some type of mid day several hour rest break (been there, done that).

You may also want to familiarize yourself with the pricing. Walt Disney World is more nicely priced for five day and longer trips. One day admission is now over $100 per person. For example, for late February...

1-Day Magic*Kingdom

Adult $132.06

Child $125.67

(The price will vary based on date and park.)

Early February is $122.48 for adults and $113.96 for children. (Food is pretty pricey too.)

Slowest times are January and early December. Early February is also pretty light. However, everything is relative. Even in early February there will be some lines especially in late afternoon.

You can avoid some lines with Fastpass. However, unless you're staying at one of their hotels you won't be able to make Fastpass reservations until 30 days prior (and so their resort guests, roughly 25,000 people, will get to make their reservations before you, even in February, leaving some of the best Fastpass times already booked up). Regardless, that should help you reduce wait time for up to three attractions, if you learn what you need to about Fastpass and set yourself up and make the reservations when you can.

I think that if this trip is a once in a lifetime visit to Central Florida, then maybe it's worth thinking about. Otherwise, I think our week long trip to Walt Disney World with our seven year old princess was one of the most special vacations we ever took with her, and so I highly recommend considering something like that instead.

Edited by bUU

And as far as fast passes, we always stay off site and get our fast passes at the park at the kiosks. We can still get most of what we want. It helps to know what rides you'll have a harder time getting fast passes for, and then go on those rides early in the morning without passes.

We as a family have been to WDW to many times to count. We feel that the expense for less than 8 hours at one park is not worth it, plus it is at least an hour each way to and from Port Canaveral. For the best WDW experience, plan a vacation of at least 5 days there and stay on site. JMHO. :cool:

You can do FastPass (es) on your smartphone inside the park. They cost nothing. WDW has an app. (Big surprise)

We did ours after entering the park (early) when we were there in March.

They are worth the effort as it is easy to find yourself in a line that lasts an hour or more.

Happily, many of the attractions have the approximate wait times on display at the entrance to the ride.

Finally, allow at least 1/2-1 hr transit time, into and out of the park from the parking lot or other means of transit. Maybe a little more as there is bag check (security) that can have looong lines before you get to enter.

Recommend you check http://undercovertourist.com for possible ticket discounts.

You do not have to pay for fast passes at Disney, however you do have to book them months out. This will be hard to do without staying on property. They book quickly. It is doable but it may be frustrating.

I have never stayed at a Disney property and always been able to get my fast passes well in advance -- I was able to get fast passes a couple weeks ago for early fall as I have company coming that wants to go to Disney. Glad I got them before things changed.

Seems strange they would eliminate the ability to use the Disney App to reserve fast passes in advance but I am sure someone in some office somewhere figured out a good reason to change this. Thanks flip flop lady for letting us know.

I have never stayed at a Disney property and always been able to get my fast passes well in advance -- I was able to get fast passes a couple weeks ago for early fall as I have company coming that wants to go to Disney. Glad I got them before things changed.

Seems strange they would eliminate the ability to use the Disney App to reserve fast passes in advance but I am sure someone in some office somewhere figured out a good reason to change this. Thanks flip flop lady for letting us know.

Not strange at all. They are trying to invent people to stay on property.

We as a family have been to WDW to many times to count. We feel that the expense for less than 8 hours at one park is not worth it, plus it is at least an hour each way to and from Port Canaveral. For the best WDW experience, plan a vacation of at least 5 days there and stay on site. JMHO. :cool:

...and in this case (usually the case all the time...) you would be correct. Disney to be done properly requires a multi stay days, and doing it on property gives significant advantages in making the experience as enjoyable as possible. Like you Jeff, we have well over 100 days on property. While Disney is unique, and a great vacation experience, it can be exhausting....

Edited by jimbo5544

It has not changed, the app works fine....even better with recent updates.

I would like to plan a day at Walt Disney World when we are in Port Canaveral, I have a few questions I hope some of you can help with. My understanding is because there is only about 7 hours in the park you need to go organized and know what you want to do. We have never been and will be taking my 5 year old granddaughter. Any must see or must do for a 5 year old? We are going in February on a week day should we waste our money on a fast pass. Does anyone have a itinerary that they did that seemed like they got the most out of such a short visit? Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I love Disney World and have been there several times.. It all depends on what you intend to see. I would like to suggest you going over to a forum called disboards. Any and all questions Disney can be answered there. I use it all the time. There will be several members who will help you with an itinerary. Have fun!!

Yes it is Magic Kingdom on a Tuesday February 6th, from the info I have found so far February is one of there slower months and of course weekdays are slower than weekends.

Your information is outdated. There are few/none slow times any more at WDW. You will never see an empty park. You will be waiting 30-45 minutes for any ride without a Fast Pass Plus. Please visit http://allears.net and research. WDW is a very complicated place to just visit for a first time visitor. It can be very frustrating to arrive and realize the only restaurants you can eat at are the counter service one (no table service without a reservation) and that without a Fast Pass (which is like a ride reservation) , you will spend most of your time standing in lines. I am going in September and I already have my dining reservations and will be making my ride reservations at 60 days before arrival. That is the typical WDW protocol for experienced guests.

You can do FastPass (es) on your smartphone inside the park. They cost nothing. WDW has an app. (Big surprise)

We did ours after entering the park (early) when we were there in March.

They are worth the effort as it is easy to find yourself in a line that lasts an hour or more.

Happily, many of the attractions have the approximate wait times on display at the entrance to the ride.

Finally, allow at least 1/2-1 hr transit time, into and out of the park from the parking lot or other means of transit. Maybe a little more as there is bag check (security) that can have looong lines before you get to enter.

Recommend you check http://undercovertourist.com for possible ticket discounts.

You can only do so if there are any available. Once they are out, they are out.

You can only do so if there are any available. Once they are out, they are out.

And best case, you only get three in advance and you cannot get a fourth until the time of your third.

Another thing that a lot of first timers are surprised about is that Fastpass didn't actually mean no line. It just means you enter through the Fastpass entry which bypasses most of the line. On occasion even the Fastpass entry develops a small line, and on some attractions the Fastpass entry has you join the regular line perhaps fifty guests or more before the attraction.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

For something to do,

I'm not sure what your granddaughter is into? However, if she loves princess stuff such as Cinderella, and money is not a question then I would look into the Castle. My parents took my niece too a fancy ball like dinner in the castle (not sure if they still do it?). They not only got to interact with a live Cinderella, have dinner they also got a full make over princess style (the niece, not the grand parents...LoL;)) I believe she was the Little Mermaid. My niece was about 3-4yrs old and now is 15yrs old she still talks about it:D. As for the cost I have no idea but I will say, "NOTHING is cheap at Disney", hope this helps.

If you have bought your tickets in advance, you can get your fast passes in advance. It's just that onsite guests with tickets can get their fast passes farther out than off site guests with tickets.

If you have bought your tickets in advance, you can get your fast passes in advance. It's just that onsite guests with tickets can get their fast passes farther out than off site guests with tickets.

Is this true if you are using the app?

We made fastpass arrangements on our phone as we were driving up the turnpike.