The original Royal Princess (1984)

ShipsInBergen

We sailed on the original Royal back in 2004 and just completed a cruise on the new ship this week. The new one is beautiful but maybe a little too big and I think they are trying too hard and overdo the fancy stuff. Enjoyed them both but the first was special.

• 1 month later...

We were fortunate to sail on her on a 14 day Transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to San Juan. Although she was under the Princess brand, she was managed by P. & O. This meant the service was excellent and gracious. We had a large balcony stateroom, in which we were able to comfortably host a cocktail party for a dozen people. We had a room steward, whose service was akin to the butlers of today.She was a beautiful ship. She is small in comparison to her current namesake, but the space was well used and so she felt quite large. We hit two days of rough water. She performed well and handled the wind and large waves very well.

We have many fond memories of her. Years later we were docked in Manaus on another Royal Princess (now the Azamara Pursuit) and the original Royal Princess was docked near us. She looked as graceful and elegant as she did when we boarded her in Barcelona many years before.

164034042_AARoyalPrincess.thumb.jpg.f8fc6e2d0a2eed9ac28bc94976554266.jpg

Edited by samuelsships

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed on Royal Princess in 1986, a Christmas Cruise, from San Juan to Acapulco and then again in 2004 (I think) from Fort Lauderdale to Manaus to Rome. This was a re-positioning voyage for the ship after ending her South American itineraries and going to Europe for the Spring and Summer.

I recall the very good service of the friendly crew as well as the entertainment. And, the cuisine! Excellent pastas! I am glad I had the opportunity to sail on her.

I just realized I sailed on 1st Royal Princess twice, 1986 and 2001, 2nd Royal Princess (Azamara Pursuit), once, for the Med in 2007, and now the new Royal Princess for a 2nd cruise in October, Quebec to Ft. L. I must love those Royals! :)

We saw her on our Royal Princess British Isles cruise in June, 2018. She left before us. We shared the traditional whistle salute in Cobh with our ship blasting the Love Boat Theme. We later saw the RP2 (MV Azamara Pursuit) getting a refurb in Belfast.

Thank you for the pictures and the Utube. She is still a beautiful ship. I sailed her in South America, where we went down a fjord that no cruise ship had ever sailed before. Great memories.

Thank you for the pictures and the Utube. She is still a beautiful ship. I sailed her in South America, where we went down a fjord that no cruise ship had ever sailed before. Great memories.

We did too. She was one of the very first ships to go around Cape Horn, maybe the first cruise ship? We had the very last but one outside cabin on the lowest deck next to the aft exit to deck, an Princess entertainer had the last one. So we barely made the cut pricewise to sail on such a nice ship with only outside cabins :). Great memories.

Having sailed her a few times, the ship was a so called break through for Princess, but the real break through in ship design came with the RCL Soverign of the Seas..... which set in motion the next couple generation of ship design..... I think the next generation of sleek NG driven ships is right around the corner

I sailed on the Royal twice. In 1986, a Les Brown Big Band cruise, 14 day Panama Canal San Juan to LA. There a dozen or so of us under 50, truly an absolutely wonderful experience seeing everyone dressed up every evening, gave you a feeling of how cruising was years ago (even in 1986)!

I sailed in November 1986, San Juan to Acapulco, 14 day, full transit. I only remember a handful of other under 50’s on that cruise, too, and it wasn’t a themed cruise.

Was that cruise the Christmas cruise, San Juan to Acapulco? If so, were shipmates.

No, it was early in November, as I remember. I’ve never sailed over Christmas or Thanksgiving, but Halloween one year was a blast.

Did you go to Caracas? I still remember the guards with machine guns around the government building.

And I remember the captain saying “I talk slow because I think slow.”

Funny what sticks with you...

No, it was early in November, as I remember. I’ve never sailed over Christmas or Thanksgiving, but Halloween one year was a blast.

Did you go to Caracas? I still remember the guards with machine guns around the government building.

And I remember the captain saying “I talk slow because I think slow.”

Funny what sticks with you...

Yes. we did dock at the port for Caracas. And, your memory of soldiers with long guns sticks in my memory as well. Another memory that sticks is the drive from the port to/from the city. The shacks/hovels on the mountain sides that were visible from the highway. 1986, it was shocking. 2018, that same drive is even worse. I have a college classmate who is a citizen of Venezuela and we keep in touch. The highway, which in 1986 was better than some we have today in Ohio, has been allowed to deteriorate and the shacks are even more numerous.

Our Captain was a British gentleman who was well known in the Princess fleet. (And, of course, his name escapes me as I type this.)

Yes. we did dock at the port for Caracas. And, your memory of soldiers with long guns sticks in my memory as well. Another memory that sticks is the drive from the port to/from the city. The shacks/hovels on the mountain sides that were visible from the highway. 1986, it was shocking. 2018, that same drive is even worse. I have a college classmate who is a citizen of Venezuela and we keep in touch. The highway, which in 1986 was better than some we have today in Ohio, has been allowed to deteriorate and the shacks are even more numerous.

Our Captain was a British gentleman who was well known in the Princess fleet. (And, of course, his name escapes me as I type this.)

Yes, the poverty struck me as well. We were headed through the city to visit a church, if I remember correctly, because I have vague recollections of stained glass, and wrought iron gates. Caracas was so jarring especially compared to snorkeling in St. Thomas and a sail to a beach picnic in Curacao. But it made me grateful for my home in America in a powerful way.

Panama did that too. Our shore excursion, if you can call it that, was a ride in a taxi to a tourist store, that was locked from the outside as we entered, and guarded by armed guards. As we left the store I was amazed to see a cart selling grilled lizard on a stick.

I did not try the lizard, but that first cruise I did try frogs legs and escargot. Those were the days of an entree for each person, and “one for the table” to taste.

I had thought I had seen and experienced a lot, traveling in America, and living in big cities, and experiencing their seedier sides. That first cruise, and others since, taught me so much about other parts of the world. It made me grateful for all my blessings in a way that I don’t think I would have gotten if I’d stayed in my little American bubble.

I think our Captain might have been John Young. Not sure. I have a picture of him buried somewhere, with me in a red dress shaking his hand.

Best,

Lyssa

Lyssa,

Yes, John Young was the Master of the Royal Princess when I sailed in 1986. Thanks for helping me to remember!

I share your feelings about how my perception of the world has changed because of my travel experiences. As you, I have been blessed to be able to experience many different cultures and it surely has made an impact upon my life. I try to share my thoughts/feelings with friends/family that are still America bound. Some seem to understand; others don't.

Bob