The original Royal Princess (1984)

ShipsInBergen

We sailed on the Royal Princess in 2000 from Manaus to Puerto Rico. Loved that cruise and the ship. So many memories of her. We probably won't sail on the new Royal as I think that name should be reserved for the original that was christened by Diana.

Norine

We probably won't sail on the new Royal as I think that name should be reserved for the original that was christened by Diana.

Norine

The new Royal Princess was christened by Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The first Royal Princess was christened, as you have mentioned, by Diana, Princess of Wales.

But as I understand it, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, neither are technically "princesses" other than in a courtesy title by marriage. In order to be a "true princess", they have to be born of the monarch. Catherine is still a "princess" as was Diana in title by marriage.

Charles was a prince twice over: he was born a prince, and was Prince of Wales. When he married Diana she took the second title and became Diana, Princess of Wales.

William, born a prince, has two titles: Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. Catherine takes the second title and became Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

So it's not fair to say the original ship is the ONLY one deserving of the name Royal Princess. Both ladies were/are princesses of the Royal Family by marriage, Diana and Catherine.

I sailed on her in 1985 to Alaska with my parents. It was my 2nd cruise, the first being on an American Hawaiian retrofitted old ship. Royal Princess was magnificent......small, stylish, beautiful. I do wish Princess would add a small ship for every 2 or 3 big ships they build. Some of us like the small ship vibe!

We sailed on her in 2002 around the British Isles. Lovely ship. I remember the noisy elevator which had a very loud "BONG!" chime before announcing the deck name. It was funny.

My husband was on the original Royal's maiden voyage from Miami - Panama Canal - Los Angeles. The Love Boat filmed 2 episodes. He's the guy on the left.

f4bfc25e3eda12cac5ad6ebdc0fdcfaf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cool! 3 seconds of fame!

My very first cruise was on her in 1989. We went from Barcelona to Venice. I don't remember much about it except that we got to meet the Skipper (Alan Hale,) from Gilligan's Island, who was a fellow passenger! He was really nice and seemed happy to be recognized.

Yesterday the original Royal Princess called into Bergen, Norway under her current name of Artania. I've added a full batch of photos to my hobby blog for those of you who are interested: http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.no/2017/05/artania.html

As a cruise ship enthusiast she's always struck me as a stylish ship that was ahead of her time. As Artania she was still looking clean and smart, despite 30+ years of service behind her.

Did anyone here sail on her during those early years as Royal Princess? Was she a noticeable step forwards back then, or 'just another cruise ship'? I'd be intereseted to hear your thoughts! :)

20170527_195415.jpg

Hi - I sailed on the beautiful Royal around Cape Horn 2001 - Buenos Aires to Valpariso - absolutely loved her. She was elegant, and refined and had that old time cruising feel. Everyone was dressed up, everyone was polite and pleasant, and all in all she still is my favourite. Cabins were not what they are today, but what elegance. Christened by Princess Diana, how can you go wrong. I have sailed on the newer ships and they are all wonderful, but the Royal was special. I am repeating this cruise in December on the Emerald Princess, will not be as elegant, but looking forward to it no less.

I sailed on the Royal in October, 1987 - 10 days through the Panama Canal from Acapulco to San Juan. It was my first Princess cruise,.(I've just come off my 19th on Majestic Princess). Our outside cabin was on Promenade Deck, with passenger walking right by our window, but it was no problem. Cabins were small in those days. One of the twin beds folded up into the wall, while the other doubled as a sofa during the day. Our friends had a balcony cabin, and I remember thinking "what a luxury." it was the first balcony cabin I had ever seen. Dinners were great - tableside service, and we often invited officers and entertainers to dine with us. We were even invited to the crew Halloween oarty, in costume, at the crew's pool, aft. Those were truly fun days, and the ship was a beauty!

• 1 year later...

I have worked on this ship during 1988/1989. At that time one of the largest and most technically advanced cruise ships in the world. I can remember we did the first European season in 1989 where our arrival was even covered in local newspapers.

Very well designed, even in crew areas (no cost cuttings there). She was a bit neglected under P&O management however it's great to see the new German owners have invested quite a lot money in her. She has recently been completely re-engined which will give here at least another 15 years

I sailed on her twice. Once in early 1998, and they had draped black over Diana’s portrait. [emoji853] Then I was on her second to last cruise in South America in 2005. I remember having an ocean view cabin with one twin bed and one “Murphy” type twin bed that folded out of the wall at night, but was closed up during the day. And yes, we had a bathtub!

We sailed on all three Royal Princess ships. We sailed on the first Royal Princess in 2000 and 2003.

Memories include teak decks and the declaration from the Maitre D that there were no microwaves on the ship. Loved the experience.

Just to note: The Royal Princess (1984) was the first new build for Princess Cruises. Prior to that all Princess ships were acquired from other lines. This ship had all "outside" staterooms and "bathtubs" No inside cabins and a full deck of balcony cabins - unheard of in 1984. I sailed on her in 1991 from Acapulco to San Juan via the Panama Canal. Now, this was my first Princess cruise. Prior to this cruise my parents and I had sailed on several Royal Caribbean ships out of Miami in the summer months. About a month prior to us going on the Royal Princess my mother got ill and dad understandably didn't want to leave her so they encourage to continue on with out them. So I flew to Acapulco to board this ship and to my shock - no one was under 60. I was 29 years old! I hadn't realized the demographics on a Panama Canal cruise would be so radically different then a 7 day Caribbean sailing. I was so depressed I almost got off the ship in Costa Rica and flew home. Anyway...to make a long story short - I got lucky and had some great dining companions and everyone sorted of took me under their wing and I ended up having a blast. There was two elderly sisters from Orlando who were just a hoot. I don't think I've ever laughed so much. It was the best cruise out of my 30+ cruises to date. As I recall the food was really gourmet and the ship very elegant - it was Princess' flag ship. Transiting the canal was truly a high light of the cruise. As I recall there was a lavish buffet bunch in the Horizon lounge-360 degrees views as we sailed on Gatun Lake. I was pretty lucky for someone only 29.