Booked Cruise Price Drop Options

Apologies for the long winded post Hi, I don't post very often but I would like to start by thanking all the regular contributors for their useful information provided on this and other boards over the years.

My wife and I have cruised quite a few times now (Mediterranean tier 40 something's), mostly with P&O and Celebrity.

At the turn of the year we booked a cruise on Britannia in Nov to the Caribbean on a Select fare and have noticed that the fare is now reduced by over £700. I contacted P&O to discuss options where upon we were offered an upgrade from B4 to B1 cabin. Our current B4 cabin is aft facing on B deck and as such enjoys a deeper balcony which we thought would be useful so after reading that midship lifts are a pain on Britannia we didn't see this as much of an upgrade.

I enquired about moving my select fare to another cruise which we will probably book in May next year which P&O suggested would be possible but for a fee of £100.

Now to the crux of the matter, if I switch the fare can anyone see any issue with me immediately booking the same cabin again for the November cruise? With changes in on board spend and the admin fee to change my current booking taken into account I would save £517. It just seems crazy that I would have to go to these ends to "beat" the system that is in place. Any advice appreciated.

We did just that for our cruise in September. Fortunately we had just paid £50 deposit each and lost a bit of OBC but as it was still a Select fare we kept the other perks.We had to pay the 15% deposit when we rebooked but had a lot less to pay when the balance was due!! My only concern was that the price would have risen by the time I had the confirmation that the original cabin was cancelled.I would do it again if there was a big saving to be made.Its one reason I like booking onboard with the low deposit.

Thanks it's good to know I'm not setting off on a wild goose chase. I understand there is a risk prices may go up. By the way how long did you have to wait for your cancellation confirmation?

I know this will not help with this booking but your first booking at the turn of the year was at the most expensive time. If you want a bargain you have to book when the cruises are first released. So for November 17 we are talking March/April 16. That is when the best discounts are to be had. Sometimes the prices come down as in your case but for our next 3 cruises, in September October and January the price they want now is way more than we paid in fact up to 40% more. And I think we are in the same type of cabin as you.

There is also the November factor. It is very noticeable that the best deals are to be had in this month.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks it's good to know I'm not setting off on a wild goose chase. I understand there is a risk prices may go up. By the way how long did you have to wait for your cancellation confirmation?

I think i just waited until the following day(I got my TA to phone up and cancel the cruise so I think that was with immediate effect but just to be sure I made the new booking the following day(after making sure I could no longer log into the cruise personaliser)

I did this with my travel agent on a Cunard cruise. They handled it all and did not seem phased by it. I lost my deposit on a P grade cabin but still paid less overall for a Q grade. Onboard people who had booked P grade seemed to have been upgraded to Q grade anyway. I did not mind I was still better off and we were upgraded to a penthouse. I hope my travel agent booked the new cabin before cancelling the old cabin. I would hate to have been left with nothing or paying more. I will ask next time.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I know this will not help with this booking but your first booking at the turn of the year was at the most expensive time. If you want a bargain you have to book when the cruises are first released. So for November 17 we are talking March/April 16. That is when the best discounts are to be had. Sometimes the prices come down as in your case but for our next 3 cruises, in September October and January the price they want now is way more than we paid in fact up to 40% more. And I think we are in the same type of cabin as you.

There is also the November factor. It is very noticeable that the best deals are to be had in this month.

It's definitely best to book early for both price and cabin choice.

I curiously looked at the price for our cruise next year - it's gone up by £1,600 in 8 months! Obviously it will probably go down in a few months a bit but not that much.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quick update.

I contacted P&O and spoke to a very helpful chap named Scott. We explored various options but were unable to get approval for a transfer as the second cruise was 70 percent of the current cruise value. He did try and explain my positive spin of wanting to spend a few thousand more with P&O to save a few hundred but alas no joy.

I take the point of booking early to gain best prices and after previously benefiting from the November effect for Artemis expect further reductions may be available closer to sailing date .

We moved home last year so I will just have to be satisfied with my lovely new home and holiday in the Caribbean which may be a few quid more 😀

Agree Dai. We booked our cruise this coming September when they first came out and I am still £300 to the good per person even on a Saver Fare. Mind you, it does depend on the length of cruise and the popularity. For instance, if it's Caribbean or Canaries, then they are two a penny and will come down, but for an interesting cruise with different ports, then early booking gets it every time.

Agree Dai. We booked our cruise this coming September when they first came out and I am still £300 to the good per person even on a Saver Fare. Mind you, it does depend on the length of cruise and the popularity. For instance, if it's Caribbean or Canaries, then they are two a penny and will come down, but for an interesting cruise with different ports, then early booking gets it every time.

OK where are these cruises at two for a penny???

November factor? Do you mean cruises sailing in November or booking in November? Sorry for being a bit dense!!

November factor? Do you mean cruises sailing in November or booking in November? Sorry for being a bit dense!!

Sailing. Always a good option for a cheaper cruise. However the weather is going to be iffy.

Historically the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the slackest period for Caribbean cruises. I agree that this is generally applicable to the US market, but supply and demand dictates that UK companies do need to compete with the US lines on price or they would see their cruise numbers decline.