Alaska - How Formal is Formal Nights?

WESTPAC72

I/family will be taking our first Alaska cruise this August (2017). This will also be our first cruise on Princess (Star Princess). Interested in learning what is the "norm" for Formal Night attire. What are the majority of people wearing (suit and tie or slacks and collared shirts)? What about the ladies?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

People wear everything. Most in suits and a few in tuxes. Ladies wear dresses and eve pant suits. I think it depends on if you want certain clothing in pictures. Great cruise. You will love it!!

I/family will be taking our first Alaska cruise this August (2017). This will also be our first cruise on Princess (Star Princess). Interested in learning what is the "norm" for Formal Night attire. What are the majority of people wearing (suit and tie or slacks and collared shirts)? What about the ladies?

I just did a Princess cruise to Alaska last week. Formal nights are just like any other formal night on a cruise ship. There are some people that were really dressed up with a tux and evening gown or cocktail dress. Then there are people who would dress up just in a nice shirt and slacks and for women, a nice dress or slacks. There are also some people who did not dress up at all. It's just a matter of what you want to pack.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There will likely be many people taking their first cruise, and will be following the guidelines Princess has published for Formal Nights (e.g. Tux or suit/tie for men).

The ladies have more latitude, with a few in long evening gown, many in little black dress, or dark slacks and glitzy blouse.

I would say to wear what you would as a guest to a nice formal wedding. I would not suggest open collar for men.

I wear a dark suit and take different shirt/tie combinations. Some wear a tux and the ladies love it. It is never out of style. Some wear a nice shirt and tie and slacks.

Some will undoubtedly show up here shortly and tell you that Formal Night is a big crock of poo and to ignore it and blah, blah, blah. They are highly vocal on the subject but the truth is that one every cruise I've taken the vast majority of people followed the Princess guidelines regarding dress.

Remember that Formal Night only actually refers to dinner in the Main Dining Rooms. The specialty restaurants, etc. are still Smart Casual. If you don't want to take along formal clothing you don't have to. If you want to eat in MDR and not dress formally you "may" be able to do so or you "may" be denied entry to the dining room. It will depend on what you are wearing and on the Maitre d who is in charge of the dining room.

On my next cruise there will be 4 Formal Nights. We may well only dress for 3 and eat in the buffet or somewhere else on one of those nights. Many people never participate in Formal Night and don't miss it at all. It makes my wife happy and I have no problem with it so, as I said above, I take along a dark suit.

Enjoy your cruise.

People who have to fly and want to pack only one suit case (which now a days you have a fee ) tend to dress more country club casual. Country club casual is being more the norm then ever before. Jeans, shorts and such will probably be turned away.

People who have to fly and want to pack only one suit case (which now a days you have a fee ) tend to dress more country club casual. Country club casual is being more the norm then ever before. Jeans, shorts and such will probably be turned away.

We have to fly for our next 3 cruises. Still taking a suit. :p

The only time we don't have to fly is if we sail out of SF or if we are willing to drive 8+ hours to LA and then pay for parking.

The suggested dress does not change by region/cruise.

Check out the Princess website. It's all there.

Regarding formal nights on Princess or any other cruise ship, in the main dinning room you are required to wear slacks for dinner on any giving night, for the men. On formal nights you do not have to dress up if you don't want to, as long as the men are wearing slacks. In all of my 20+ cruises no one has ever been denied entry to the dining room. It is fun to dress up though, it would be a great time to get a formal photo taken. Enjoy and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally I love an opportunity to get all dressed up for a formal night in my lovely dresses. Its not like I get to do it everyday. So with all my frequent cruises, I thoroughly enjoy it. The only thing I have changed over the years, especially in the land of packing is, no more heels. I hate packing them just to wear them to dinner and to take them off immediately, because of the discomfort.

I enjoyed the formal night because it gave the DH a reason to dress up somewhat (button down shirt, slacks and tie). Once dressed up, I was able to convince him we should take a nice couple's picture to have of our trip. He hates getting his picture taken, but conceded to me this one time since we were all dressed up. :-)

Totally agree with Thrak!

My DH enjoys wearing his Tux on formal night on Princess ships. However, he will be dressing more casual on our Celebrity cruise as the mere mention of dressing up on the Celebrity boards brings out the attack dogs.

Since Princess doesn't absolutely require anyone to dress up formally for the dining room if they don't care to, simple casual attire is all that's necessary (unless you enjoy dressing up).

Many people choose not to carry the extra formal clothing for Alaska since it's used so infrequently.

The choice is yours.

Of all of our cruises, I found our Princess cruise to Alaska to be the least formal "formal night", and that was a decade ago, when formal was still called formal vs. elegant. It was in May, and perhaps it was the case of people needing to pack more and heavier clothing, thus foregoing the super-formal gear.

There are always exceptions, of course, so the dress did run the gamut from "Sunday-go-to-meeting" outfits all the way up to tuxes and gowns.

I saw many men in suits or sportcoats on our May Alaska cruise; no tux but I might just not have come across them; and numerous men with just nice dress shirt and pants. Whatever people enjoy doing is fine by me as long as it's not shorts or tattered jeans.

Walking down the cabin hallways the night before disembarking and seeing all the luggage sitting out, it was no mystery who had packed both a lot of formal wear as well as heavy casual clothing. I couldn't believe the size of some of the enormous luggage many passengers had. Made me glad that my DH and I travel light and can easily selfwalk off the ship with our own luggage.

I saw many men in suits or sportcoats on our May Alaska cruise; no tux but I might just not have come across them; and numerous men with just nice dress shirt and pants. Whatever people enjoy doing is fine by me as long as it's not shorts or tattered jeans.

Walking down the cabin hallways the night before disembarking and seeing all the luggage sitting out, it was no mystery who had packed both a lot of formal wear as well as heavy casual clothing. I couldn't believe the size of some of the enormous luggage many passengers had. Made me glad that my DH and I travel light and can easily selfwalk off the ship with our own luggage.

Hello stumptowngal,

You made me do it. I just weighed up my jacket that I typically bring for formal nights;.1.4 lbs. The ties and shirts may be another net of .6 lb. so that adds up to a whopping 2 lb difference from what I might pack by ignoring Princess' request for formal night dress. I do have the jacket pressed or do it myself in the self serve laundry. Like you we travel light, usually at around 40-45 lbs of checked baggage per person.

I do recognize that you were not suggesting that people ought not to pack the way they want. I am suggesting that if one wants to respect the desires of their cruise line, it does not require one to pack another bag, but to pack smartly as some have alluded to in their posts.

Regards,

Tom