Please sir, can I have some more?

Owlhelm

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning on visiting the Crown Grill on our forthcoming cruise. We have never eaten there before.

I've been looking throught the threads and I can't help but notice the number of posts along the lines of "the lobster tails are small, but they bring me as many as I want" or "I love it - I can have as many filet mignons as I fancy".

Now, while not appearing to be greedy, and having never asked for more previously, I was wondering what the etiquette for such is. Do you ask for more up front, or half finish your meal (i.e. the lobster, steak) and pull a waiter/waitress over and ask for more, while giving them puppy-dog eyes?

Thanks (in anticipation of a gut busting meal)

Martin

Based on some of the more recent threads, this has changed. I believe there is now an upcharge for seconds but this is just based on what I am reading here.

Not on Crown. Not in the MDR. You could have what you wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here from what I have read here only in the MDR can you get as much as you like...in the Crown Grill they now charge for extras. I believe it was something like $10 but cant remember if that was just to add lobster to the steak or if it was $10 for additional items each.

But in the MDR DH just tells the waiter upon ordering he would like X amount of lobster tails on the night they serve lobster tail in the MDR.

We were on the Ruby three weeks ago and in the Crown Grill the service was as it has been in the past. Lobster tails were brought out for the whole table in addition to the steaks that we ordered, and all the sides were brought out family style. The waiter did not bat an eye at an order of two appetizers. I have also read many reports of a new menu that states one entree with an additional charge for extras, but our waiter said he was not aware of that change.

The OP is asking about the Crown Grill. Hopefully the MDR won't be starting this policy, too.

Sorry I assumed it had to be the MDR as when we went to the Crown Grill I was totally stuffed and could not have ate another mouthful. We had to share a dessert as we could not cope with one each.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Ruby three weeks ago and in the Crown Grill the service was as it has been in the past. Lobster tails were brought out for the whole table in addition to the steaks that we ordered, and all the sides were brought out family style. The waiter did not bat an eye at an order of two appetizers. I have also read many reports of a new menu that states one entree with an additional charge for extras, but our waiter said he was not aware of that change.

I was hoping that might be the case if you get a really good server, but I'm afraid that the head waiter will be forced to stop it. There have been postings of the new menu that states the extra charges right on the top line.

In the past, when I have just ordered the lobster tails, I was served 6 of them initially, and about halfway thru the entrée portion of the meal, the waiter came back to ask if I was ready for more. I have never taken him up on the offer because I have never been able to eat all 6 by myself. I always share with my tablemates.

Same here from what I have read here only in the MDR can you get as much as you like...in the Crown Grill they now charge for extras. I believe it was something like $10 but cant remember if that was just to add lobster to the steak or if it was $10 for additional items each.

But in the MDR DH just tells the waiter upon ordering he would like X amount of lobster tails on the night they serve lobster tail in the MDR.

Are they still serving Lobster Tails in the MDR?

Did they serve Lobster Tails in the MDR on your sailing any of the nights?

Are they still serving Lobster Tails in the MDR?

Did they serve Lobster Tails in the MDR on your sailing any of the nights?

Hmmm....I'm thinking someone likes lobster!

Anyways, does anyone have any links or pics of recent Crown Grill menus?

Thanks

M.

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning on visiting the Crown Grill on our forthcoming cruise. We have never eaten there before.

I've been looking throught the threads and I can't help but notice the number of posts along the lines of "the lobster tails are small, but they bring me as many as I want" or "I love it - I can have as many filet mignons as I fancy".

Now, while not appearing to be greedy, and having never asked for more previously, I was wondering what the etiquette for such is. Do you ask for more up front, or half finish your meal (i.e. the lobster, steak) and pull a waiter/waitress over and ask for more, while giving them puppy-dog eyes?

Martin

Most of the time you didn't have to ask or if you asked "which do you prefer" you'd get both. I understand that is now is thing of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was on the Royal Princess three months ago. We went to the Crown Grill twice and had no problem ordering more of any items. I always ordered a steak and a lobster tail from the beginning. The waiter brought more lobster tails later in the dinner.

As for charging for second helpings: I remember reading somewhere that one of the new seafood restaurants on the Caribbean Princess, after dry dock, charged extra for lobster.

The MDR does have lobster tails as a menu choice on one of the formal nights.

I can’t account for changes that may have happened in the past three months.

We've always been able to get the lobster tails in The Crown Grill. However, from a personal standpoint, I can't imagine being hungry enough to have more (lobster tail or entree) after eating everything else in the first round of offerings. ;):D

Hi all,

Martin

MORRE?? Sorry couldn't resist. When we dined in CG(the Regal)The steaks were not that great. I'm in the food industry, so I know quality. The seafood, however was outstanding. The staff was always saying to order more(which we did!)I do hear there is a charge now for additional entree's. I'd kind of test the waters with your server & see if they "really" enforce that new rule. If they feel they will get extra tip, they might do it for you. If they do, please tip extra. There is built in gratuity in the cost of the meal, but feel free to add more if the staff deserves it.

Depends on the ship. Was on the Star in April and CG had up charge for everything, lobster, seconds, extra apps. Was on the Ruby earlier this month and no up charges. Probably see it go the way of the Star fleet wide soon as they have to pay that 40 million dollar fine somehow!

I can't even eat the regular dinner let alone getting more. I'd love to order the ribeye but can't eat that much so I end up getting the filet which is not what I want. The last two times we have eaten specialty venue meals we have been underwhelmed by the quality of the food. When I have had lobster added on it looked like an overgrown crayfish tail and was cooked until it was like rubber.

Depends on the ship. Was on the Star in April and CG had up charge for everything, lobster, seconds, extra apps. Was on the Ruby earlier this month and no up charges. Probably see it go the way of the Star fleet wide soon as they have to pay that 40 million dollar fine somehow!

You didn't think they were just going to absorb it on their own, did you? :D

You didn't think they were just going to absorb it on their own, did you? :D

Absolutely not! I expect the cutbacks, up-sells and shakedowns to increase. I would not be surprised if some day, the only food included in the fare is the buffet!

Absolutely not! I expect the cutbacks, up-sells and shakedowns to increase. I would not be surprised if some day, the only food included in the fare is the buffet!

I cringe when I read the rave reviews about how wonderful the buffet on the Regal and Royal are. Some even bragging how they didn't even eat in the MDR. To me this is the writing on the wall. Create wonderful buffet meals to wean us off of the MDR food and then once they eliminate the MDR the can dumb down the buffet.

[/b]

I cringe when I read the rave reviews about how wonderful the buffet on the Regal and Royal are. Some even bragging how they didn't even eat in the MDR. To me this is the writing on the wall. Create wonderful buffet meals to wean us off of the MDR food and then once they eliminate the MDR the can dumb down the buffet.

You are so right and that will be quite sad!

[/b]

I can't even imagine Princess will ever eliminate the MDR.

Not liking the cynics here. Doesn't add a thing to the thread, though this is CC.:(

I do wonder about the charge adder. I've seen a pic of the menu with it showing. I'm hoping it isn't fleet wide and only on the one ship (I forget which one it was.) Hopefully, it isn't on one I'll be sailing on.