Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

30 minutes ago, mjmagee said:

I don't think "reporting" the thread is the right way to go.  All the reasons for reporting are negative.  Reporting seems to be a punitive action.  Anyway, pinning the thread at the top of the board was just a suggestion.  Periodic postings of questions will always bump the thread back to the top.

Marilyn

This was a CC host asking that you use the reporting function to request the thread be pinned.

While many of the reporting reasons are negative, there are two that are not - "this post is OK, but I want to let a moderator know" or "this thread needs attention". In either case you can spell out your request for the thread to be pinned.

It's not clear why you conclude that the advice given by a host is not applicable, but certainly up to you. 🍺🥌

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mjmagee said:

I don't think "reporting" the thread is the right way to go.  All the reasons for reporting are negative.  Reporting seems to be a punitive action.  Anyway, pinning the thread at the top of the board was just a suggestion.  Periodic postings of questions will always bump the thread back to the top.

Marilyn

Edited by FetaCheese
Comment already addressed

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

This was a CC host asking that you use the reporting function to request the thread be pinned.

While many of the reporting reasons are negative, there are two that are not - "this post is OK, but I want to let a moderator know" or "this thread needs attention". In either case you can spell out your request for the thread to be pinned.

It's not clear why you conclude that the advice given by a host is not applicable, but certainly up to you. 🍺🥌

I have "Reported" to ask for topic to be pinned to top of Viking Ocean category.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

I don't have any problem seeing new posts...simple one post gets me in the loop for future posts to follow.  No big deal.  

There is also a follow button at the bottom of every thread. 

• Like 2

Just now, wine-wine-wine said:

Yup...though I am lazy and have more fun simply responding to a post.  No lurker am I.  😄 

On 5/28/2024 at 9:19 PM, CurlerRob said:

FWIW I read it the same way.  I saw it as a moderator asking for it to be reported, and thinking "why on earth would someone do that?"    I wondered if some bot had posted an auto-reply!  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 5:04 PM, wine-wine-wine said:

True for mobile browsers but on a desktop, it is at the top of the thread. Just to drive us crazy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have loaded the app to my phone but it does not seem to do anything.  Other cruiseline apps have allowed me to use it to make reservations prior to the cruise.  Am I correct in thinking that the Viking app will not work till I am on the ship?  Seems that way now.

Am concerned because my excursion booking window opens Friday at noon.  I will be away from home that day, with limited access to a computer with internet access.  Hoped to be able to book my excursions through the app. Any way to do that? Marilyn

41 minutes ago, mjmagee said:

I have loaded the app to my phone but it does not seem to do anything.  Other cruiseline apps have allowed me to use it to make reservations prior to the cruise.  Am I correct in thinking that the Viking app will not work till I am on the ship?  Seems that way now.

Am concerned because my excursion booking window opens Friday at noon.  I will be away from home that day, with limited access to a computer with internet access.  Hoped to be able to book my excursions through the app. Any way to do that? Marilyn

Excursions are booked through MyVikingJourney, not the Voyager app. The Voyager app will work once on board. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ericosmith said:

I actually found a windows app. Not real useful since you can just use a browser.

I tried looking for it in the Microsoft Store on my desktop and did not find one. How long ago did you see this app? Is it still available?

25 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I tried looking for it in the Microsoft Store on my desktop and did not find one. How long ago did you see this app? Is it still available?

This looks really shady. There is a site called MyVikingJourney.net that has an app. At the bottom it states it’s not associated with My Viking Journey. I think this is an app written by someone who is connecting in the background with MyVikingJourney.com. They bought the domain MyVikingJourney.net. They are probably selling ads, displaying the real website, and capturing your data. The .net website appears to give you information about how to use the .com site. I would not trust anything associated with this.

As far as I know there is no official app from Viking for MyVikingJourney.com that is a substitute for using a browser.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

This looks really shady. There is a site called MyVikingJourney.net that has an app. At the bottom it states it’s not associated with My Viking Journey. I think this is an app written by someone who is connecting in the background with MyVikingJourney.com. They bought the domain MyVikingJourney.net. They are probably selling ads, displaying the real website, and capturing your data. The .net website appears to give you information about how to use the .com site. I would not trust anything associated with this.

As far as I know there is no official app from Viking for MyVikingJourney.com that is a substitute for using a browser.

I can’t speak to Microsoft because I simply used a web browser to access myvikingjourney.com.  On the Apple App Store however, there are only two apps developed by ‘Viking Cruises’.  Those are Viking Voyager and Explore More Magazine.  The former is used while onboard.  Enjoy your travels.