Family mini suite only 126 bucks difference

JAMESCC

So as I keep winding down the road trying to find and book our 2018 cruise I think I've found the one. I keep going back and forth between NCL sand RCCL but I like this one. Escape from NYC to Florida/Bahamas November 4th. Seems like it's a pretty good deal, for only 126 dollars more than a large balcony we can get a mini suite which does have a really, really cool bathroom. It's on deck 9, not 8 which are in a cooler location but cost considerably more. What do you guys think of these cabins? Thanks guys, CC never let's me down, always great advice.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Is the bathroom going to make or break your cruise? I'd bank on a larger balcony personally because I only spend limited time in a bathroom. From what I have read the ones with a larger bathroom have the standard size balcony and others have said it's not worth the extra money.

I considered the family mini suite ONLY for the bathtub due to arthritis and need to bathe in a hot tub every night. That said, the tub and the bath being bigger is the ONLY difference from a balcony cabin. For our cruise, the cost was close to $200 higher per person for 2 cabins 4 people that would be an $800 difference. Totally not worth it for us. I will have to live without my bath. Now if the cabin and balcony was bigger I'd go for it. I will never understand why they call these cabins "mini suites". It's confusing to many people. They should simply be called "deluxe balconies"

I agreed about the bathroom, especially with 2 or even 3 adults traveling - the "regular" baths on the *Away class ships are plentiful roomy compared to the older Gem/Jewel/Pearl/Star/Dawn class ships in the 80k to 90k tonnage class ... just came off the Gem early last month, a vivid reminder that the "older" ship's bathroom aren't something we've missed. The toilet area w. the sliding door on the Gem is so "big" that it's not funny - when we looked around & asked ourselves ... how do all those "plus" sizes get in/out to do their (seriously.)

As is, the balcony or inside baths on the *.Away ships is fine, plenty of open storage/shelves and even more space under the sink (behind the hinged door ... although I wouldn't put anything inside, it's damn & very easy to forget before disembarkation)

As for the mini-suites themselves, I believed the square footage is a tiny little bigger in the "living" space, mainly where the sofa/day bed is placed, and, a little more space on both sides of the main/queen bed - extra room for reaching into the wardrobe/closet, depending on the overall layout (bed by balcony vs. bed by the bath) ... by inches, not feets.

Deck 9, depending on location, might be more desirable to some than Deck 8 - starboard side or port side, cigarette smoke coming from below might be fine if someone isn't offended or smoke themselves, but could be annoying to those with objections - and, I swear last time on the BA balcony at sea, I smelled the funny ones - it wasn't nicotine or cigar, if you know what I mean ... could not ID where it was coming from - or, else - might've called down to security.

Noises coming above should not be a problem for deck 9, but check & look at what's below on deck 8 if & when you decided to do this - and - can select a specific stateroom. If you normally stay out & up late, any noises coming from the bar/lounges/club area should not be a problem as they usually quiet down around midnight.

I hear what your saying but its only 126 bucks difference. How much bigger are "large balcony cabins" that regular? That is money better spent to you guys?

I believe the balconies are larger, so you are deciding between a bigger balcony, or a bigger bathroom.

These are pictures (# 10712) as taken when we're on the Breakaway in 2016, deck 10 Fwd - portside - ours being a standard/regular balcony ... noticed how "roomy" it was, NOT.

We've directly above those below us, with the large/extended balconies - I am not absolutely sure if those are mini-suites or not. It has room for a round table vs. a mini (micro-sized) end table (I won't even call them a coffee table) that you can barely put a dinner plate on it.

Look further and you see the "huge" balconies on deck 8 forward - big difference compared to even the extended ones on deck 9 ... plenty of room for 2 loungers, plus chairs & tables - you can literally camp outside & sleep, LOL.

It's all a matter of personal preference, if we get to choose among them, all things nearly equal - we would go for the bigger balcony over the bathroom.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scq36t4r6tskk8e/IMG20150328_1109.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjteims3ajtlfjl/IMG20150323_1839%20%28768x1024%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ay32wrpjkld7gz/IMG20150323_1843%20%28768x1024%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09elyzl4ur7bj9v/IMG20150323_1840%20%28768x1024%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n9r28oy623fjbm/IMG20150323_1838%20%281024x768%29.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for the help, and posts. You guys made a lot of sense and I have more thinking to do. How is Escape as compared to Breakaway overall? What are some differences or is it just a bigger carbon copy?