Newbie Questions

I'm sorry for the newbie questions, but I will be going on a cruise for the first time next week, and a lot of things aren't clear to me. Any help is appreciated!

1. How early can you board the ship? I was wanting to get a massage at 4:00, and that is when the itinerary states we board the ship. I wasn't clear on this.

2. What exactly does the deluxe beverage package entail? The only info I could find was 40% and 20% off wines. And what is the difference between this and the 10 drink card?

3. I'm traveling solo. Any tips so that I don't feel like a leper? ;)

4. If I dine anywhere other than the main dining room, will I incur fees?

Any other tips are appreciated. Thank you!

I'm sorry for the newbie questions, but I will be going on a cruise for the first time next week, and a lot of things aren't clear to me. Any help is appreciated!

1. How early can you board the ship? I was wanting to get a massage at 4:00, and that is when the itinerary states we board the ship. I wasn't clear on this.

2. What exactly does the deluxe beverage package entail? The only info I could find was 40% and 20% off wines. And what is the difference between this and the 10 drink card?

1. Boarding is allowed as early as 11:30-12n. Your room will be available at 1:00pm

2. Read about the beverage package http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options&icid=hpnvbr_pagehe_dnn_hm_awaren_946

3. Ask to be seated at a large table for dining. You'll meet lots of people.

4. Fees are incurred at Specialty Dining venues, not MDR or Windjammer.

Have a great time!!

1. Boarding is allowed as early as 11:30-12n. Your room will be available at 1:00pm

2. Read about the beverage package http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options&icid=hpnvbr_pagehe_dnn_hm_awaren_946

3. Ask to be seated at a large table for dining. You'll meet lots of people.

4. Fees are incurred at Specialty Dining venues, not MDR or Windjammer.

Have a great time!!

I'm still confused about the beverage package. How many $12 drinks do you get per day?

As a solo cruiser, definitely request a large table for dining. Also suggest joining the meet and mingle roll call for your cruise - on another part of the cruise critic board. You will "meet" people there who are on your specific cruise.

Each night your cabin steward will leave the cruise compass totally listing everything on board for the next day. Highlight things you would like to do - trivia for example - with the place and time so you know what is going on and don't miss things.

I'm still confused about the beverage package. How many $12 drinks do you get per day?

If you enjoy yourself, no not an alcoholic, you will easily get your monies worth out of the deluxe package. I don't know if you drink soda, but $4/can, bottled water $3/bottle, drink of the day $10-$12 a piece, wine by the glass for dinner, drink at the show, on balcony, specialty coffee, smoothie, etc...., I highly recommend it and we have always made out ahead. Even with sea days you will still make out ahead and be glad you did it. Yes all the drinks of the day are within the price guideline of the drink package.

Enjoy !

I have a question, we do not drink alcohol, but we like the virgin type of drinks. Does the refreshement package work for the virgin drinks.

Yes, unlimited non-alcoholic cocktails, plus fresh squeezed juices, soda, bottled still and sparkling water, and specialty coffees and teas.

Depending upon when your ship is scheduled to sail...a 4pm massage may not work. You MUST attend the muster drill and salon/bar/food services will be terminated about a half hour prior to muster drills.

Not sure of your itinerary but the drink package works on the private islands of Labadee and Coca Cay. Between bottles of water, a soda, and a few alcoholic beverages....we definitely get out money's worth from the package.

As noted, the MDR and windjammer are included in the price you paid. We often find that the specialty fee based dining is too much food. Yes, request a large table...we specifically ask for round/oval table since that makes conversation easier than a large long table.

You should have a great time! People on cruises tend to be more sociable than we have found on land vacations.

For the evening dining - request main dining room not My Time Dining and as others have said - get a large table. They try and bring together other solo travellers and people with different last names in the same cabin (the assumption being they are friends travelling together). One key thing to remember is that if you're at a table and don't like the vibe of the table, asked to be moved to another table. It's your vacation and you deserve to enjoy it.

I'm assuming you mean a massage on the ship, not on land before boarding. Just in case you didn't mean on the ship just remember you have to be checked in at least 90 minutes before sail away time. I prefer to get to the port about 10:30 or so and then boarding usually starts about 11-11:30. I like to get on early and start making use of the first day that I have paid for!

What ship are you sailing? There may be other free dining venues other than the MDR and the buffet, but it depends on the ship.

FLTeacher is on a 4 night Majesty cruise next Monday.

No specialty restaurants on Majesty. (no, Johnny Rockets does NOT count as "specialty dining" ;) :D ) All of your food is included in your cruise fare except Johnny Rockets.

The ship will go to CocoCay, where a beverage package will work beautifully. Avoid the souvenir glasses, though - NOT included in the package.

Drink cards are not offered on every ship or on every sailing. You may or may not see them. Go into your Cruise Planner on your My Cruises page on the RC website and see what price they are charging for the beverage package. Lots of discounts being reported lately.

The ship is scheduled to SAIL at 4 P.M. No massages until at least six, and then it's dinner time. Get your massage on the one sea day, FLTeacher. :)

I would suggest requesting to be at a very large table, so you can meet lots of people :)

You can check out your table when you board, and if for some reason they put you at a very small table (like a 2 seater) you can request to be moved...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FLTeacher is on a 4 night Majesty cruise next Monday.

No specialty restaurants on Majesty. (no, Johnny Rockets does NOT count as "specialty dining" ;) :D ) All of your food is included in your cruise fare except Johnny Rockets.

The ship will go to CocoCay, where a beverage package will work beautifully. Avoid the souvenir glasses, though - NOT included in the package.

Drink cards are not offered on every ship or on every sailing. You may or may not see them. Go into your Cruise Planner on your My Cruises page on the RC website and see what price they are charging for the beverage package. Lots of discounts being reported lately.

The ship is scheduled to SAIL at 4 P.M. No massages until at least six, and then it's dinner time. Get your massage on the one sea day, FLTeacher. :)

Yikes, I'm just reading this, and I already signed up for the 4:00 massage on the ship. Why would they offer this time if it's not do-able? I wanted to do it the first day because that is when it is the cheapest.

Great, thanks!

If this is your first cruise you might want to consider booking your massage for a little later. Sail away is an exciting time (especially for a first time) and I'd hate for you to miss it while in the spa.

If this is your first cruise you might want to consider booking your massage for a little later. Sail away is an exciting time (especially for a first time) and I'd hate for you to miss it while in the spa.

Thanks so much for the advice! I changed it to 5:15. :)