Going to Sydney withPrescription meds

Can someone clarify a few things for me? I went to the DCS website for Australia and read up on what was needed. Basically I would check off in the customs form that we have prescription meds. I have all meds in original containers and s doctors letter stating all the meds we take.

My concern is that one of the prescriptions are on the website as restricted. Will the doctors letter suffice? I read there was some sort of form I had to fill out and mail to Australia requesting permission to bring this prescription with me. Is this true? Has anyone ever had to fill out a give form?

I am Australian, Whenever I travel internationally with meds I have them in original packaging, a letter from the doctor, and the prescriptions.

I do not check that question until I reach the Customs officer on the Green lane, say prescription meds and they allow nothing to declare.

There could be an important check if the meds you have are for some reason not permitted in Australia or have some major restriction. This could be the additional form.

Drug approvals in Oz are by the Therapeutic Goods Administration tga.gov.au you can search medications on that site.

I do note, now, that you indicated something is restricted. This fact sheet may assist. It also provides further tga links.

http://www.border.gov.au/Factsheets/Documents/travelling-with-medicines-fact-sheet-july-2014.pdf

The first question on the Australian Incoming Passenger Card is "Goods that may be prohibited or subject to restrictions, such as medicines, steroids, illegal ***********, firearms, weapons or illicit drugs?" We are always able to mark "No" because none of our medicines are restricted. It would be safer to do what you suggest and have a letter from your doctor and mark that question with a "Yes". Have the meds and letter in your hand luggage. Depending on the drug, that may be all that will be required.

We have always found Australian Customs to be very reasonable, as long as you mark the form with a "Yes" in the relevant place if there is any doubt.

The above has got me thinking. We have been o/s many times including USA, Canada, UK. Until now we have only taken with us my blood pressure medication plus glucosamine and krill oil capsules which we just carried in a big ziplock bag. We've never taken a scrip with us or original packaging and have never been pulled aside or questioned during screening.

We are due to leave for US on Friday but this time, as we now have additional prescribed medication, we will take original packaging and a doctors' certificate/note. Playing it safe.

The above has got me thinking. We have been o/s many times including USA, Canada, UK. Until now we have only taken with us my blood pressure medication plus glucosamine and krill oil capsules which we just carried in a big ziplock bag. We've never taken a scrip with us or original packaging and have never been pulled aside or questioned during screening.

We are in a similar situation and have never taken scripts or (in many cases) not even the original packaging. We have never been queried, but we do not require any restricted medications.

Keep all prescription drugs and over the counter drugs in original containers. Have a medical summary from your doctor. If you are on any medication or in doubt ALWAYS tick "yes" on the customs & immigration card. This applies wherever you travel.

If it requires a prescription then it is subject to restriction, specifically "supply without prescription is illegal" so you should declare it on the customs form.

My understanding of the term "restricted medication" is that it is quite different from most prescription medicines. My MIL was on a pain medication that required the GP to obtain permission from the Health Department in Canberra before issuing each prescription. That is 'restricted'. I don't know if that applies to all restricted medications.

We were on an Australian, New Zealand cruise in December/January.

We are also on a lot of medications and I think my husband was on steroids at the time because of a medical condition. We also had original bottles. Upon entering Australia, we checked yes on the box about drugs, etc.

All that customs asked us was if they were prescriptions. We said yes and they said fine and went through.

Sent from my iPad using Forums