Phone Home!

Cship55

Will I be able to make and receive cell phone calls while cruising to Mexico without paying extra?

Those last three words make it a no, at least while on board the ship. All ships have their own cell towers which they turn on when not in port. And none of the international roaming plans offered by any US carrier include cellular-at-sea. You should contact your provider to find out the roaming charges (be forewarned that data roaming will be outrageous) and also if they have an inexpensive international plan that covers Mexico or any other of your ports. Calling from ashore or simply using any wi-fi you find from local merchants is going to be your best bet.

Those last three words make it a no, at least while on board the ship. All ships have their own cell towers which they turn on when not in port. And none of the international roaming plans offered by any US carrier include cellular-at-sea. You should contact your provider to find out the roaming charges (be forewarned that data roaming will be outrageous) and also if they have an inexpensive international plan that covers Mexico or any other of your ports. Calling from ashore or simply using any wi-fi you find from local merchants is going to be your best bet.

Depending on the OP's cell service, phone, and OS version, they could have WiFi calling enabled, which would allow full phone functionality over the ship's WiFi, should the ship's WiFi allow it. No cell carrier charges, but there would be ship WiFi charges.

Depending on the OP's cell service, phone, and OS version, they could have WiFi calling enabled, which would allow full phone functionality over the ship's WiFi, should the ship's WiFi allow it. No cell carrier charges, but there would be ship WiFi charges.

My Verizon plan gives me the same service in Canada and Mexico that I have here in the States at no extra charge (voice & data) The OP should check with his carrier. Also the WiFi calling should work too if he has access to a good WiFi signal in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will I be able to make and receive cell phone calls while cruising to Mexico without paying extra?

Phone calls from the ship are very pricey and cell phones even pricier. Phone cost is about $10 per minute charged to your room. Some cruise lines higher and other are lower. All phones go thru a satelite , therefore very expensive system .

On land it will depend on your cellphone provider and the plan your on. Call your cellphone provider for the correct info.

My Verizon plan gives me Mexico included.....check what your carrier allows! Of course, that is once you're OFF the ship. ON the ship (unless you're docked), you will be using the ship's towers no matter what plan you have.

• 2 weeks later...
My Verizon plan gives me Mexico included.....check what your carrier allows! Of course, that is once you're OFF the ship. ON the ship (unless you're docked), you will be using the ship's towers no matter what plan you have.

Again, this isn't necessarily true. Many phones/carriers allow wifi calling. So if you have a wifi plan on the ship, you may not be using the cell towers at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ATT has a plan that allows usage in Mexico and Canada just like in the US.

Carnival cabin calls are $1.99/minute.

Many smart phones have a WiFi calling function. Has anyone tried it on the ship's WiFi? I wonder if Carnival has it blocked.