THE ADVANTAGES of Using a USA TA

I know this blog is old but I just tried to book an extra Couple on Ovation next Xmas and over the last few weeks the price shot up from AUS$3000 to over $6,000 on Aus website where there is a ??? 45% off a AUS$11,000 starting price. Their US website has 30% off at just US$2,000 This stinks, if the ACCC are listening I have all the screen shots.

Peter

Welcome to Cruise critic, I suggest you book with the US TA then.

Seeing as this thread has found it's way back, I am considering at least testing the water with US based TA. Can OzKiwi and Bodog provide a few hints so that one might be able to make an educated guess as to which one(s) they use?

For example, does anyone like 2 go on vacations?

Seeing as this thread has found it's way back, I am considering at least testing the water with US based TA. Can OzKiwi and Bodog provide a few hints so that one might be able to make an educated guess as to which one(s) they use?

We can’t name names on CC - it is against the rules

For example, does anyone like 2 go on vacations?

We use one that is hinted at here occasionally, they are not always the best, you have to allow for taxes, port fees and charges (the amount is normally obtainable direct from the cruise line) and of course fluctuations in currency exchange.

My advice on US Travel Agents

Make sure they don't charge change or cancellation fees - note that the cruise line may charge them though

Make sure they don't a premium to use a credit card to pay

See if you can pay in Australian dollars in Australia

See if you can pay by bank transfer to avoid card exchange rate fees up to 3% (I don't because I am addicted to airline points programmes :D)

Ask them questions about their experience on the lines or similar lines to those you are considering

Ask them what they can offer as additional benefits eg free excursions, onboard events, OBC etc - don't expect ALL these things but if you don't ask you don't get

Look for one you know who is looking after - they care (generally) - those who are just in a cue that you're routed to wont pay the same attention

Look for recommendations from friends or those who have used them - that's how I got onto mine several years ago - a personal recommendation from someone I was cruising with who told me how impressed they were with the Travel Agent and what extra's they had got them

Hope that helps

With Carnival USA you can book direct from Australia with USA site or US Travel agent or a PVP (Personal vacation planner) these are sort of TA,s that work for the cruise line on commission so they can give just as good perks as US Travel agents can.

With RCI I had no luck trying to book with any US Travel agent and was told I must use an Australian TA or RCI au direct if booking from Australia.

Things must have changed with RCI re US TA,s? when RCI australia first started 4 or 5 years ago you were only able to book from Australia with a US TA if you already had an established US TA ?

No to needing a US address based on my experience at least - we book through a US agent. Although they have both US and Australian companies so can book either way depending on which is best (usually booking via the US is better)

I believe there are some lines which won't let US agents book Australian guests however think about how could they possibly even know your residential address based on your passport? There are thousands of Australians resident overseas who travel on Australian passports

Some US TA,s do indeed require a USA address and this can be stipulated by the Cruise line so not always a TA rule. Also in USA they have "state specific" sales with cheaper fares to entice locals to cruises that are not selling well.

With Carnival USA you can book direct from Australia with USA site or US Travel agent or a PVP (Personal vacation planner) these are sort of TA,s that work for the cruise line on commission so they can give just as good perks as US Travel agents can.

With RCI I had no luck trying to book with any US Travel agent and was told I must use an Australian TA or RCI au direct if booking from Australia.

Things must have changed with RCI re US TA,s? when RCI australia first started 4 or 5 years ago you were only able to book from Australia with a US TA if you already had an established US TA ?

We have a Royal cruise booked with a US TA for our vacation to go in September, so maybe it is TA specific.

We have a Royal cruise booked with a US TA for our vacation to go in September, so maybe it is TA specific.

It may have changed Mic I gave up a few years ago when I exhausted all the recommended US TA,s but its good to know you can book an RCI Asian cruise with US TA.

Obviously you are under the same US T&C,s which is great if price drops:)

It may have changed Mic I gave up a few years ago when I exhausted all the recommended US TA,s but its good to know you can book an RCI Asian cruise with US TA.

Obviously you are under the same US T&C,s which is great if price drops:)

It is actually the European cruise, in the past we have booked Aus/NZ cruises and an Antarctic cruise as well as other Europe cruises. The only issue we have had was booking Princess cruises with them.

It is actually the European cruise, in the past we have booked Aus/NZ cruises and an Antarctic cruise as well as other Europe cruises. The only issue we have had was booking Princess cruises with them.

Oops sorry! I was sure you said you were sailing from Singapore? my mistake:)

Some US TA,s do indeed require a USA address and this can be stipulated by the Cruise line so not always a TA rule. Also in USA they have "state specific" sales with cheaper fares to entice locals to cruises that are not selling well.

If you can’t nominate a US address then I’m very disappointed in your creativity

Try using 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500 - I know that one exists ;p

Seriously though there are ways around that requirement - it’s not like they go knock on the door to check...

If you can’t nominate a US address then I’m very disappointed in your creativity

Try using 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500 - I know that one exists ;p

Seriously though there are ways around that requirement - it’s not like they go knock on the door to check...

At the time TA,s were not taking made up addresses or giving them for RCI customers.

Its actually a real thorn in my side a $$$ thorn with RCI and the reason I just used Carnival USA instead who do not capture your ip address or tell TA,s they cant accept bookings from Australian customers.

I am glad the restrictions have eased and will attempt to book my next RCI with a US TA,this can only be a win for me after a loss hard taken.

That address is real - there’s a squatter family in there at the moment :-)

Yes I have no doubt its real and RCI US TA restrictions for Aussies have obviously been lapsed. I am very glad of this.:)

I have at least 4 legit US addresses I could use and will try next booking.

It was in the initial days when RCI AU was first forming or being born out of RCI that my trouble started and I have not bothered with RCI bookings from USA since.

I still have the TA contacts so will just use them next RCI cruise:)

Come on guys, give your kid a job, book here !!!!:halo:

Standby for incoming.:evilsmile:

Very principled - so do you only cruise on Australian flagged ships and buy Australian made goods from Australian owned companies?

It’s a global world market these days - why wouldn’t someone take advantage of that?

If Australian companies can be competitive then business will naturally flow to them