Decline of buffet quality, especially in evening?

karlsselindh

I'm another who finds the food in the buffet more than adequate. Explorer OTS and Solstice earlier this year were great. Mussels lobster tails prawns etc outstanding on Explorer and Solstice even better with great fresh salmon and halibut and beet salmon at breakfast. I can understand how people who only eat basic meat and veg see a decline but I like a wide selection of food and enjoy the buffet more than the mdr.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Forums mobile app

In the service industry "tips" has been an acronym for "to insure prompt service" for many years, even though it is not grammatically correct.

An acronym is a word formed by other words.

"Tip" wouldn't have been formed by the other words since it doesn't make sense.

An acronym is a word formed by other words.

"Tip" wouldn't have been formed by the other words since it doesn't make sense.

Maybe you need to take another look.

ac·ro·nym

ˈakrəˌnim/

noun

• an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

On the Summit the Chinese entrees may as well have come out of a can. Maybe they did. I have had better Lean Cuisine from the microwave. The only thing we actually enjoyed was the Sushi. It was pretty generic but it made nice appetizer to go along with a cocktail while getting ready for dinner. Now that is gone and probably was replaced with another Chef Boyardee pasta dish.

I do think Lean Cuisine had better Chinese food. Celebrity doesn't even try. Sushi, not free like it was a year or two ago, but the Sushi on 5 was pretty good if your willing to pay $12-15.

Seriously. 1st world issues. The food is sufficient and appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your right! However, for appropriate and sufficient I can a) land travel b) go to an all inclusive resort for the fraction of the cruise c) go with a more budget friendly cruise line , or d) stay home and eat in appropriate and sufficient restaurants.

I am not a fan of buffets, I do like the option of going for a mid afternoon snack. I eat late. I have only cruised on X twice, first on the Equinox and the second on the Millie. I noticed a difference in both the buffet and the main dining room. The Equinox was far better food wise. Service was excellent on both. Hopefully the budget cuts won't affect my next booked cruise with them. Jan 2019.

But like you said Appropriate and sufficient, not a bit over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you need to take another look.

ac·ro·nym

ˈakrəˌnim/

noun

• an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

Perhaps you need to explain how that differs from what I said? Aside from being more formally written...?

And that comment could apply to 99% of the posts in Cruise Critic. So why are you bothering to be here?

It always depends on the people running the show... we have had good buffets and excellent buffets (never bad). On our last cruise the buffet always looked so good that we even skipped BLU one night in favor of dining outside at Ocean View Cafe.

Perhaps you need to explain how that differs from what I said? Aside from being more formally written...?

Perhaps you need to explain why you quoted me in the first place. I said "tips" not "tip". I'm sure most reasonable people understand the point and some just like to argue. Back to the subject which is quality of the buffet.:rolleyes:

It always depends on the people running the show... we have had good buffets and excellent buffets (never bad). On our last cruise the buffet always looked so good that we even skipped BLU one night in favor of dining outside at Ocean View Cafe.

I think you are, in general, correct as there has to be standards that Celebrity has established and employees/chefs are required to adhere to those minimum standards...you would think! Not a cook myself, so I would also assume there are recipes they adhere to similar to a franchise to produce and reproduce consistent product across their fleet.

We also tend to have one evening meal in buffet area as it seems there is one night we are tired, busy or combination of two and maybe just want eat in our day attire of shorts, flip flops and for me t-shirt. :)

I've been going on cruises for 20 years, and if you want to talk about incredible, remember the midnight buffets?

Since then quality of mainstream cruiselines has been steadily falling, and why not? As long as there are enough people filling the ships, and they are ordering more ships at record numbers, why keep the quality up? There is no reason to. They would serve their guests dry dog food if they could. (Wait, I hope Celebrity doesn't read this and get any ideas.)

Perhaps you need to explain why you quoted me in the first place. I said "tips" not "tip". I'm sure most reasonable people understand the point and some just like to argue. Back to the subject which is quality of the buffet.:rolleyes:

Indeed... given it was actually you who quoted me first to which I just responded: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53745038&postcount=94

Whether "performance" or "prompt service" it doesn't change the point.

As I have said, there were real big issues and we mentioned them. Had to switch rooms and all despite the fight.

But little things like food quality, rudeness, cleanliness are not big issues. I'll just go and get more towels myself. Take out the trash. Go order a different dish. It's faster to do that than to walk to the front desk to complain.

If I encountered these many problems I would be looking for another cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Breakfast was not great last month on Silhouette but that was due to the operator on one stand that unfortunately carried the item we always wanted. And a bit of cash being handed over on the toaster stand wasn't helpful when 'the payer' decided to get some favours in return while the rest of us were waiting for service. That brought a rebuke from her manager who observed the later parts. Lunch and dinner were good and miles ahead of Princess buffets (on Diamond anyway).

Are you saying someone paid off a server so they could get their toast before everyone else waiting in line?

Expectations can vary depending on what one pays for the cruise.

People forget this is a mass market cruise line.

I'm another who finds the food in the buffet more than adequate. Explorer OTS and Solstice earlier this year were great. Mussels lobster tails prawns etc outstanding on Explorer and Solstice even better with great fresh salmon and halibut and beet salmon at breakfast. I can understand how people who only eat basic meat and veg see a decline but I like a wide selection of food and enjoy the buffet more than the mdr.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Forums mobile app

I have never seen lobster tails in the Celebrity buffet. What itinerary?

Are you saying someone paid off a server so they could get their toast before everyone else waiting in line?

Who knows. All I saw was two amounts of dollars being passed over the high counter. Lots of personal discussion happening whilst others were queuing up waiting.