Decline of buffet quality, especially in evening?

karlsselindh

Really I feel sorry for the food managers, because I know for the most part, its not their fault. I do think they could very selections day-to-day better, even if they are of the same quality. Complaining to anyone but maybe the CEO of the company will not do much.

I have cruised now for 20 years, and I am thinking back to my first Royal Cruise. Food was fantastic, there was many free foods you could get all day, like ice cream, and they had a midnight buffet not one night but two on some cruises. On other nights they had other party and evening buffets. It was really fun, and a cruise was really different than visiting a cafeteria restaurant.

Over the years all the cruise lines, or at least the ones I take, Norweigian, Royal, Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity all seem to be in a fight to economy offerings with added charges to make it better. The experience has changed, and certainly not for the better.

So I'm sure some will say, just pay for the special dining, and you'll get better food. That is true, but for me, its not even about the cost, its about the experience. Before I took a Princess cruise, people told me its better, so try that, and we did, but it wasn't better. Then I always heard, try Celebrity, its better. This last Celebrity cruise was also not better. Breakfast was good, other meals not so much.

I had a planned Asia cruise planned for October, and I think we are cancelling it. We are done with cruising for now. Instead we will do a 15 day ground tour, stay at different hotels, and eat at different local restaurants. This will be a good change for us. After about 25 cruises, I think I had enough, as almost every one has gotten worse than the last. The more cruises you go on, the more you see how much they have changed.

Now I hear, try Oceania or try Seven Seas, its better. And maybe we eventually will, but its sad we have to go that route, just to get back to the place that the mass-market cruise companies were 15 years ago.

a - I Am so sorry to hear about this issue, I can fully understand the challenges/issues.

I do believe that when one gets disappointed with one category of line, then another might be the answer i.e. mass market vs. luxury vs. super luxury (just as long as money is not an issue).

While I Am wanting to do luxury, my spouse will un-plug my computer, phone (land and mobile) and tablet if it is thought that I was thinking of booking a luxury line at this time...

Given the few other lines we have been on, X is most like home for us, for now. It just feels right, the most.

While I can say that for me, it has not been all roses on X, but for "the one who must be obeyed" it is the cats meow and no need to change, again. Thus, in a few years I will be bold enough to go ahead and book the luxury line and be prepared to hear 'why did you not do this sooner?' LOL

Whatever route you go, please enjoy it and have fun...

bon voyage

i'd think that it would depend largely on the frequency and nature of your complaints. You are posting over 30 times a day on cc, and if you complain to guest services that often on a cruise, they'll probably throw you overboard and you won't need to worry about any entry in your file! :halo:

lol

How many times are we talking about? Personally, I do not think you will be 'tagged' as it were for complaining, especially if it is concerning improvements or lack there of AND not asking for any type of compensation outside of some horrendous situation beyond their or your control or doing it in a manner in which you are attacking or rude to personnel/staff on-board or corporate.

As I noted before, it is better to bring any situation that you happen upon to their attention while aboard and then come here and let everyone know if it was (or even could be) addressed during your sailing.

bon voyage

Not seeking compensation.

After reflection, it would just be a waste of my vacation time unless there is something dire. They aren't going to listen to me. I am a new X customer who hasn't even sailed yet. We are not a part of the captains club yet either.

Now if you go to the president's cruise, I can understand how that makes sense to provide constructive criticism

After reflection, it would just be a waste of my vacation time unless there is something dire. They aren't going to listen to me. I am a new X customer who hasn't even sailed yet. We are not a part of the captains club yet either.

Now if you go to the president's cruise, I can understand how that makes sense to provide constructive criticism

Never a wast of time if it is a valid issue. Food expanse, that might be a valid issue just need to be specific when in conversation with the person in charge.

New or old customer, that will not be an issue. As far as Captains Club goes, you can sign up anytime, if you choose, before you sail. In fact you may want to do so now and have it added to your reservation now.

For us, what does it take to make the vacation worth it and enjoyable? For me, it happens to be meals and wine. I Am vegan, so by day two (2) if there is not enough variety or quality I Am in front of the Maitre 'd and/or chef so they know my thoughts and general expectations. By day three (3) they understand, for the most part and things are improved... no more worries or so I trust.. ;-) .

bon voyage

Never a wast of time if it is a valid issue. Food expanse, that might be a valid issue just need to be specific when in conversation with the person in charge.

New or old customer, that will not be an issue. As far as Captains Club goes, you can sign up anytime, if you choose, before you sail. In fact you may want to do so now and have it added to your reservation now.

For us, what does it take to make the vacation worth it and enjoyable? For me, it happens to be meals and wine. I Am vegan, so by day two (2) if there is not enough variety or quality I Am in front of the Maitre 'd and/or chef so they know my thoughts and general expectations. By day three (3) they understand, for the most part and things are improved... no more worries or so I trust.. ;-) .

bon voyage

Makes sense for your situation. We will be dining with someone who will has special dietary needs. So perhaps it makes sense for us too on our next cruise.

I will usually let A LOT of things slide like dirty towels, rude customer service (to the point where stewards are telling me when to be in my room so that they can clean it...), and even going so far as to mock me. I will let all that slide b/c filling a complaint just takes too long.

We have had to file other urgent complaints related to medical concerns. Even then, it's a frustrating battle...I cannot imagine filing a complaint b/c of rude customer service when we are already getting eye rolls on important things.

Granted, this is another CL. I am hoping X will be better....but my expectations are low. That way they cannot disappoint

Does complaining to X get logged in your personal file? I am concerned that I would be labelled a troublemaker and possibly having X dismiss my more urgent concerns b/c they erroneously believe that I have "cried wolf" so many previous times.

No there is no personal file. However, if you are concerned perhaps you should complain about those things that are worth complaining about and which Celebrity can actually do something about. If there are so many of them, then perhaps you should consider your alternatives.

No there is no personal file. However, if you are concerned perhaps you should complain about those things that are worth complaining about and which Celebrity can actually do something about. If there are so many of them, then perhaps you should consider your alternatives.

Why don't you read my last post? I clearly explain that I let a lot of things go. While you are at it, please feel free to read my norovirus post to you too. Thank you.

You become part of the Captains Club with your first cruise. Further, since you stated that you have sailed RCL before (correct?) those points transfer over to Celebrity.

There is no difference in terms of how your complaints will be dealt with on the "President's" cruise or any other cruise. Further, a complaint, where something is wrong, should be brought to the attention of guest services while on board. An attempt will be made to "fix it". However, a suggestion on how they can improve the experience should be done in a letter or at the end of cruise survey. Do not expect a response on your suggestions or at least not beyond a "thank you for your comments", which is as it should be.

Makes sense for your situation. We will be dining with someone who will has special dietary needs. So perhaps it makes sense for us too on our next cruise.

I will usually let A LOT of things slide like dirty towels, rude customer service (to the point where stewards are telling me when to be in my room so that they can clean it...), and even going so far as to mock me. I will let all that slide b/c filling a complaint just takes too long.

We have had to file other urgent complaints related to medical concerns. Even then, it's a frustrating battle...I cannot imagine filing a complaint b/c of rude customer service when we are already getting eye rolls on important things.

Granted, this is another CL. I am hoping X will be better....but my expectations are low. That way they cannot disappoint

I do not think you will be disappointed, then again, X in my experience has been very good about handling things aboard very well.

If a passenger whom you are traveling with has a dietary preference, as I do, make the round to the venues where you will be eating to advise. The MDR will be the main one, once they know and understand the restrictions, often times it is passed on to the other venues where they will be eating, but it does not hurt to touch bases with them early in the day before going.

In the eight (8) sailings on X, I can only remember twice having rude service and let it go because the staff are allowed to have a bad day every now and then and especially show it. So, no complaint. When I believe a staff member was rude to me more than twice then I would ask them if it was me or them and how I can make it so they will be able to deliver the service I believe I Am due... one staff member smiled and told me that they were having issues at home for which they could not help out, neither could I, yet I empathized with them and for the rest of the sailing the service was exemplary for me from them. It will not happen all the time, but the effort on my part was worth it.

Let things slide once or twice, then bring it to the attention of person who is performing the service what you expect and more often than not you will get it.

As far as room attendants go, since we tip them extra, we do half of it up-front, let them know what we expect for the duration of the sailing. 95% of the time we never encounter a problem and leave the other half of the gratuity. This is NOT to say that you must or need to tip more, it is something which we do.

After all TIP means To Insure Performance, which patrons do not understand or accept and that is fine.. just something I have been taught and accept accordingly. Even the Sommeliers treat me better because of this and I accept their assistance and off the list pourings accordingly. They know what I like and will get for me rather it be on my package or not at no additional charge (Premium Package Purchaser here).

Go, enjoy, complain, have a great sailing, that is what you are paying for... just know and understand that things will happen. If it something which can be turned around to help you enjoy more, ask or do it...

bon voyage

You become part of the Captains Club with your first cruise. Further, since you stated that you have sailed RCL before (correct?) those points transfer over to Celebrity.

There is no difference in terms of how your complaints will be dealt with on the "President's" cruise or any other cruise. Further, a complaint, where something is wrong, should be brought to the attention of guest services while on board. An attempt will be made to "fix it". However, a suggestion on how they can improve the experience should be done in a letter or at the end of cruise survey. Do not expect a response on your suggestions or at least not beyond a "thank you for your comments", which is as it should be.

I am only gold on RCL, which doesn't transfer over to X

As I have said, there were real big issues and we mentioned them. Had to switch rooms and all despite the fight.

But little things like food quality, rudeness, cleanliness are not big issues. I'll just go and get more towels myself. Take out the trash. Go order a different dish. It's faster to do that than to walk to the front desk to complain.

Life is too short to worry about stuff like that.

I agree totally with that poster. The fried rice was not great, and the Asian entrees maybe were "Asian" but definitely NOT authentic Chinese or Japanese. I really like Chinese food, and went every day but almost never could find any. And how about a soup or egg roll? I saw spring rolls ONE day. They were hollow, so basically just fried dough.

On the Summit the Chinese entrees may as well have come out of a can. Maybe they did. I have had better Lean Cuisine from the microwave. The only thing we actually enjoyed was the Sushi. It was pretty generic but it made nice appetizer to go along with a cocktail while getting ready for dinner. Now that is gone and probably was replaced with another Chef Boyardee pasta dish.

I am a new X customer who hasn't even sailed yet. We are not a part of the captains club yet either.

Your post indicates experience on Royal Caribbean.

If you have any status on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity will set you up with the equivalent status for your cruise. (Royal points don't transfer to Celebrity, just the status. You will be starting your cruise with 0 Celebrity points.)

After all TIP means To Insure Performance,

While you are welcome to tip as you desire, that is not what the word means. "Insure" means to provide against something happening, so if it actually meant the above, it would mean that you would get compensated if you didn't get the performance you expect... which isn't what you really mean at all.

More likely you are thinking of "to ensure performance"... But then you would be giving "teps" to people, which you're not.

So, tip is just a word like any other. Feel free to give tips as you like... but the word isn't an acronym.

There were big blocks of cheese on the Solstice on our 18 night Sydney to Honolulu cruise last month. And there were also theme nights in the Oceanview.

The food on our Aus/Nz cruise on Solstice Feb, 2017 was the best X food we have had in a few years. That includes the main dining room and buffet.

It was much better than the food on the Constellation NE/Canada, Oct, 2016.

The main dining room does not require dressing up unless you call long pants dressing up, and the food there was very good.

The NZ cruise is quite casual. Not Caribbean casual, but still casual, and I hate dressing up.

OTOH, the OP's sons might just be getting tired of the X buffet. It is much the same from cruise to cruise.

Edited by TomBeckCruise

We just disembarked from the Summit yesterday (7/10) and in my opinion the food quality at lunch is still pretty mediocre and repetitive.

We ate three dinners in the oceanview, one featured Mexican food that wasn't even as good as Taco Bell.

Edited by edgeman61
Auto correct error

• 5 weeks later...

How does one find out about the theme evenings in the Oceanview? They sound interesting. We have an 11-night cruise coming up on Equinox and would enjoy a change from Luminae. Do they post the theme or menu somewhere?

While you are welcome to tip as you desire, that is not what the word means. "Insure" means to provide against something happening, so if it actually meant the above, it would mean that you would get compensated if you didn't get the performance you expect... which isn't what you really mean at all.

More likely you are thinking of "to ensure performance"... But then you would be giving "teps" to people, which you're not.

So, tip is just a word like any other. Feel free to give tips as you like... but the word isn't an acronym.

In the service industry "tips" has been an acronym for "to insure prompt service" for many years, even though it is not grammatically correct.

On our two cruises on the Reflection, we actually enjoyed the world tour of foods in the Oceanview Cafe. Our MDR experience was a disappointment and so we spent most of the time eating in the specialty restaurants, the Spa Cafe and the buffet and felt we had plenty of variety. I especially enjoyed the Indian dishes and the change in available dishes each night. We think that the buffet on the Regal Princess is probably the best we've had but we were not disappointed at all with the choices and quality of the food in the Oceanview Cafe.

We sail the Eclipse every year...the buffet , both lunch and dinner is amazing.

Just did the Infinity in May. the buffet was terrible both lunch and dinner. We made a point to bring it to the attention of the maitre'd...seemed concerned...but of course nothing was done about it. Also mentioned it on the questionnaire upon returning.

Breakfast was not great last month on Silhouette but that was due to the operator on one stand that unfortunately carried the item we always wanted. And a bit of cash being handed over on the toaster stand wasn't helpful when 'the payer' decided to get some favours in return while the rest of us were waiting for service. That brought a rebuke from her manager who observed the later parts. Lunch and dinner were good and miles ahead of Princess buffets (on Diamond anyway).