Cuba Cruise - What happens?

tx121

I'm a little worried about my upcoming cruise on the Sky to Cuba leaving on June 26th. Tomorrow, Trump is expected to make a speech about rolling back the policy for travel to Cuba. If he does choose to reverse the policy, how long will it take into effect? Is there a grace period before action is taken and cruise ships can no longer visit there?

If so, this will be one expensive trip to NCL's private island. I know NCL says all itineraries are subject to change, but I'm hoping they would include another stop in replacing the Cuba overnight?

Will be following this post as we are booked way out April 2018 for Cuba Cruise. I hope if it does happen that NCL will choose a better place for the Sky to go other than Bahamas as I've been there done that. Hope they will let us transfer our booking to another ship maybe. We all that are book are curious to see Trump's decision. Surely with all the money that all the cruise lines have spent to enable them to sail to Cuba and the number of ships that are mostly sold out for the trip it will stay the same. As I'm sure that all the cruise lines are concerned as well for the loss of money they would endure.

If it happens it will more than likely be immediate. If there was a grace period I myself would not be getting off the ship when we were in Cuba. There is still a lot of bad feelings towards Americans right now. Imagine if they knew that the time was running out with the cruises going to Cuba the possible problems there would be.

Under Trump’s rules, which federal agencies have 90 days to implement, travelers will be subject to a Treasury Department audit of their trip to ensure they fall under one of the permitted categories. Educational trips and so-called “people-to-people” group exchanges will fall under greater scrutiny, with educational groups once again having to travel with a guide from a U.S. organization sponsoring the trip, a requirement the Obama policy had effectively eliminated. Commercial flights and cruise trips to Cuba will be allowed to continue, because paying landing fees at military-run airports and seaports will be exempt from the Trump ban. (So will paying bank fees at the military-run bank, to allow Americans to still send money and rent private properties like those offered on Airbnb.)But the audit threat could shrink demand for Cuban travel, and hurt private-run bed-and-breakfasts and restaurants favored by American travelers.

I think this is the relevant information from the article someone helpfully posted above. I hope the cruise lines would be willing to ensure their tours are in compliance with these regulations.

I think this is the relevant information from the article someone helpfully posted above. I hope the cruise lines would be willing to ensure their tours are in compliance with these regulations.

Agreed. It sounds like self-reporting is still going to be allowed, which will be great for cruises as well (people-to-people not going away).

The good news for those of us who are traveling within 90 days and are past final payment is that, it appears we won't be forced to head to the Bahamas last-minute after all. 90 days gives NCL and other cruise lines a lot of time to work to make sure they are compliant.

I can see cruise lines including tours in Cuba in the fare in order to assure compliance. Of course that included excursion would be built into the base fare

I find it interesting that people who would probably risk their lives to save a squirrel and would protest treatment of humans in other parts of the world

Would actually spend a dime in Cuba

Spending dollars in Cuba is not helping the common man in Cuba. Don't kid yourself

But hey at least you have bragging rights for visiting Cuba

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find it interesting that people who would probably risk their lives to save a squirrel and would protest treatment of humans in other parts of the world

Spending dollars in Cuba is not helping the common man in Cuba. Don't kid yourself

Thanks for the constructive feedback! <3

Yes it is true. Do some research.

Anyway, very happy for the other people in this thread. Bon voyage to you all.

If the ship visits or departs from a US port it has to follow the same laws as all other ships. I think you need to do some research.

I've been to Cuba, once..is enough.

However, being Canadian and there are many other pax from many other countries who visit and cruise to Cuba. Also, when you talk about restrictions... we had very few.

Here's a cruise by MSC which I'm sure many will want to take:

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Cruise-Destinations/Caribbean-Cuba-Antilles/Cuba/Isla-Juventud.aspx

MSC has 2 ships which depart from Havana Cuba... research, research... jus' sayin'

I completely agree. Giving communist governments our money never felt right to me.