Live, Terry/Spirit: Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany; Pix’s!

TLCOhio

Here are more visuals from our private tour at the highly-rated Château Pontet Canet, what their bottled look like as we did a sampling there. Retail on that bottle that we enjoyed was 150 euro. Their price has gone up significantly for 2009 and 2010 as their biodynamic techniques are produced major market success.:

June%202017A%201608_zpsow5jhe6u.jpg

Always appreciate your writing and sharing insights from your trip Terry. Glad to see you are having another wonderful voyage on SS!

The '09 and '10 bottlings from Pontet-Canet represented the high water mark for the Château hitting $210 USD upon release of the 2010. Prices for current vintages available in the market ('13 & '14) are back to reality and below $100 USD. You can even find that '08 bottle at auction for < $90 USD these days. One thing for sure, Pontet-Canet produces a very good wine that typically has a very long and powerful finish on the palate.

Enjoy the rest of your voyage!

Posted earlier but seems to have gone in a black hole!!! Hoping Capt Palmieri is still onboard at the end of August as he is our favourite Captain. Please advise if you can

Don't worry, Swindy, I have not have forgotten about your good question on Captain Palmieri. Just have not had a chance to run into him and be able to ask that question. Last night at La Terrazza, he was "at" dinner with us. BUT, he was at the table next to ours and it was not the right timing to bother him to ask at that time. At dinner, he was not wearing his blue glasses. Had a dark colored frame. Will keep working on that item. The Cruise Director, who did a super excellent guitar music program last night, will be on the Silver Spirit till mid August.

Tuesday we did “double” ship tours. In the afternoon, it involved going to the Green Venice marshlands and exploring a portion of this large area via canal boat. It was approximately 75-minute drive towards the "Green Venice" region, a patchwork of marshes offering different scenery. We had one of the local boatmen (or in our case a woman) doing the work in the flat-bottomed punt. This is a labyrinth of shaded canals, seeing forests of trees, wet marshes, etc.

The Green Venice's ecosystem and location on the Atlantic coast has earned it a place on the list of Regional Natural Parks. We did not really see any true wild-life. A few duck and some cows. We also spent time in Coulon Village, in the heart of themarshland. Kind of a sleepy village. This area totals 370 square miles, making it the largest marsh on the Atlantic coast and the second largest of thewhole country (after the Camargue).

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 68,667 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From Tuesday's visit to the Green Venice marshlands and its nearby village, here are a few visual highlights. This includes their village church, a busy bee working on a flower there, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201623_zpsmqhwkqer.jpg

June%202017A%201624_zpsuxcelfqh.jpg

June%202017A%201625_zpsywhstdf3.jpg

June%202017A%201626_zpstuud7vac.jpg

June%202017A%201627_zpsauxjlvve.jpg

June%202017A%201629_zpsq6llcnso.jpg

Always appreciate your writing and sharing insights from your trip Terry. Glad to see you are having another wonderful voyage on SS! The '09 and '10 bottlings from Pontet-Canet represented the high water mark for the Château hitting $210 USD upon release of the 2010. Prices for current vintages available in the market ('13 & '14) are back to reality and below $100 USD. You can even find that '08 bottle at auction for < $90 USD these days. One thing for sure, Pontet-Canet produces a very good wine that typically has a very long and powerful finish on the palate. Enjoy the rest of your voyage!

WOW!! Excellent follow-up and details from Stumblefoot. Very impressive knowledge and work. Much of the better wines in Bordeaux are sold at advance auction. Much speculation and hopes as to how future prices will head. Much depends on future guesses and gambles.

Wednesday we visited the scenic Brittany island of Belle-Île-en-Mer. See in this posts and the next one more visuals samples. Really enjoyed walking around on our own to see this village. Kind of wish we had done more to explore other parts of this island. BUT, the time was limited here and we want to take things a little "easy". This was tendered port.

For Athens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 17,135 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

From Wednesday morning's visit to, here are a few visual highlights. They had a wonderful market area there that morning. Lots of interesting seafood offerings, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!

June%202017A%201630_zpsd9f6em7o.jpg

June%202017A%201631_zpsalohbsxw.jpg

June%202017A%201632_zpsq6mwnwja.jpg

June%202017A%201633_zpsi3zq9ppd.jpg

Here are two fun pictures from one of this island's very nice bakeries. Love these breads, plus the gal there was nice in letting me get her pictures and the pastry treats being made readied for sale.:

June%202017A%201634_zpsqblnybra.jpg

June%202017A%201635_zps6wyuokh2.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Finishing up with Belle-Île-en-Mer, here are some examples of its architecture, design, their main church, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 181,552 views for this posting.

Here is the final group of pictures from this interesting village in Belle-Île-en-Mer.:

June%202017A%201636_zps1ruhau5f.jpg

June%202017A%201637_zpsyvvvbfz2.jpg

June%202017A%201638_zpst5ciucso.jpg

On the tender back from Belle-Île-en-Mer, here is the view as we headed back to the Silver Spirit, plus how the driver of this boat neared our ship on the return.:

June%202017A%201639_zpsvkbwenn1.jpg

June%202017A%201640_zpstelhfoui.jpg

Here is one other visual from a shop in the Green Venice area.:

June%202017A%201628_zpseh8ut0sw.jpg

Terry catching up with your last few posts and all the wonderful photos.

The Chateau's in the Bordeaux region are amazing. There is such history to many of them and it is more unique them most wine regions we have visited around the world.

Your posting and photos reminds me of how special Europe is.

Continue to enjoy.

Keith

Good question on private tours versus ship tours. We will probably have about half and half mix, including for our time in Lisbon, in doing ship versus private tours. Why and how?? Lots of factors involved. This includes pricing, ability to team up with another couple for such a tour, comfort with the private options possible, etc. Generally as we have traveled, we know some locations, such Bordeaux, are "super-stars". We wanted and desired more than just "average" there. From sources such as Trip Advisor or ToursByLocals.com, I will search for three or four very good potentials. I will write them, giving some personal background and our interests. Some reply. A few do not. BUT, I look to see who actually bothers to read our details, answer questions, etc. Price is clearly a factor. I also look for guides who are detailed-oriented, understand my interests in photography, etc. With Cruise Critic, I will try to find another couple or two who has common interests and might be willing to share a private tour. That's the quick summary. Does this help? Need more background?

Terry,

Really appreciate the detailed advice and tips on how to potentially integrate a few private tours with SS tours. Sounds like you do your research!(y)

Posted earlier but seems to have gone in a black hole!!! Hoping Capt Palmieri is still onboard at the end of August as he is our favourite Captain. Please advise if you can

Regarding your question, did have a chance tonight to chat in detail with Cruise Director Moss Hills. His understanding is that Captain Palmieri will be on the Silver Spirit until September. The CD said he would double-check and let me know for sure. Moss will be on this ship till mid August. Then, back after a couple months on vacation and on this SS ship till the early party of next year. Last night Moss Hills put on a spectacular show on the main stage featuring his hip/rock singing, plus playing the keyboards, sax, drums, etc. What a great show!! He's a busy, busy guy. BUT, he clearly loves his job and being involved with people.

Just now departing from Saint Malo. Much to share in picture and details from here. BUT, it is getting late and must be up tomorrow for activities on the UK's Guernsey Islands.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 51,394 views for these postings.

Moss Hills is indeed very talented, and very good as the Trivia facilitator. I should not judge by only one experience, but I thought he was not polite when dismissing a conversation without excusing himself. I will assume that he must have been very stressed at the time. However, I read that another poster in another thread indicated that he was not very engaging with all passengers. I guess we all have our bad days...

One wonders whether his experience was so extremely life changing that it makes tolerating trivial things that others find extremely easy, a personally difficult daily challenge.

I think if I went through what he did, I'd find it difficult adjusting after that terrifying experience to continue being an entertainer and doing a job that essentially mandates small talk with extremely fortunate and demanding strangers for all working hours. He basically has very little in common with the people he serves perhaps.

No?

So this was just 7 years ago? I don't remember it.........the COSTA was MEGA NEWS...........I was on Celebrity's

Millennium when The COSTA happened,

Oh...it was 1991? I misread the date..........long time ago.

Hi Terry, sounds like a very talented CD.......I sail August 9th......maybe he will still on board for my cruise.

Appreciate this follow-up from Lois. Will try to check and clarify from Moss Hills as to which exact date in "mid-August" he will be departing from the Silver Spirit. It's only my opinion and experience that he has seems very approachable, nice, hard-working, etc. A good cruise director puts in lots of time from early in the morning with the de-boarding announcements/details to late in the evening. In my book, Moss is a skilled pro with the needed "energy" to do that job well.

We are getting ready to tender into St. Peters Port/Guernsey. We will have a ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition" (GCI-G). We are suppose to experience the beauty and wildlife of Guernsey in a different manner during our seascape expedition. We will be on a 12-passenger Rigid Inflatable Boat (RIB). It will be a hour-long interactive experience that combines scenery, wildlife, history and commentary. We are schedule to see dramatic cliffs, maritime heath-land, sheltered valleys, bluebell woods, and coves along the south coast to the long stretches of white-sand beaches, shingle banks, and sand dunes on the west and north coasts, etc. Enriched by the currents of the Gulf Stream that bring in vital nutrients, the waters around Guernsey and its neighboring islands support a wealth of enchanting bird- and marine-life. They say bird species include the largest colony of guillemots in the Channel Islands. The Humps, situated to the north of Herm, is a nature reserve and protected breeding ground for auks, cormorants, seasonal seabirds and the rare peregrine falcons that grace its cliffs. We will know shortly if this ship tour lives up to its billings.

Yesterday, we meet our private guide, Igor Rosen, for a personal tour of St Malo, Cancale, Cap Fréhel, etc. For visiting St Malo, this included walking the old stone walls that surrounds their old historic areas, seeing the old Vauban forts and their 17th century history, etc. We learned more about the famous Corsaire pirates that caused so much trouble to English merchant ships and helped make this town so wealth and powerful.

Next, we traveled to Cancale for learning about the unique oyster farms where for generations people raise and prepare oysters for the best chefs in France. I had a great seafood lunch there, plus learning so much more about Brittany and its unique history.

We then traveled to Cap Fréhel, along the Emerald Road that is very unique and beautiful with its natural scenery. Finally we visited an old castle and Duke's fortress along this coast. We also worked in a stop for apple wine product sampling, etc. Tough doing all of these tastings? Lots of visuals to prove that we enjoyed our day in this part of Brittany. The weather started out yesterday very overcast, foggy and a little misty. BUT, good news, no rain!! Great weather has continued for us on this adventure.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 181,954 views for this posting.

Here are a few of sights and visual samples from our "walking of the wall" in Saint Malo. Plus, more from being in this very historic town that was nearly 80% destroyed from bombings during World War II. BUT, to the credit of the French, they did an amazing job of re-building and restoring in just five years of this historic gem with its great strategic location along the coast of northern France. Notice the flag of Saint Malo which features the powerful dog used as a key part of their history?:

June%202017A%201541_zpsennrqz2a.jpg

June%202017A%201542_zpspmun6yfx.jpg

June%202017A%201547_zpsaeqpszj0.jpg

June%202017A%201546_zpsehfrdflv.jpg

June%202017A%201544_zps9mxmr6qj.jpg

June%202017A%201545_zps7klxzxlp.jpg

Here are some more samples from being inside and around the historic walls of Saint Malo. The misty fog kind of added to the "effect" for being in this town that has been re-built and preserved so well. Lots of shops and places to eat in Saint Malo.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 216,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the wall of Saint Malo, here is a view of the Silver Spirit being anchored in this large harbor under these foggy, misty conditions.:

June%202017A%201548_zpswedrdgio.jpg

A key part of the local history here is recognized for the famed writer Francois Rene de Chateubrand. He is buried on a rocky island, facing the water, at his request, just outside of the walls of Saint Malo. Yes, that well-loved beef dished is named for him!:

June%202017A%201543_zpsvusx9axf.jpg

Here are some other visuals from being in Saint Malo. Very interesting sights, sites and history here. Enjoyed much!!:

June%202017A%201549_zpshtybltvd.jpg

June%202017A%201550_zpszmvuoqnl.jpg

June%202017A%201551_zpsy74gchqc.jpg

June%202017A%201552_zpsthb8oxnc.jpg

Next, we traveled east from Saint Malo to the seaside town of Cancale for learning about their famous oyster farms where generations have raised and prepared oysters for the best dining lovers of these treats in the world. This is a year-around operation based much on the tides going up and down. Lots of work to establish and work these beds.

Normally, I am not that big of a oyster fan. BUT, here? Loved them!! Even got my wife to try one. It took great coaching, begging and some fresh lemon juice put on the oyster in its shell. She's not a fan, yet, but progress has been made.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 216,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As we entered Cancale, here is a sculpture to the important industry here of harvesting from the sea. Next are more visuals that show how this oyster production is done, plus of us doing some enjoying of these treats, how they are opened with great care given the sharp edges of the oyster shells, Igor showing how a dozen of these oysters look on a shore-side serving place, etc.:

June%202017A%201553_zpsr0rrc0qw.jpg

June%202017A%201561_zpsp1kbgonx.jpg

June%202017A%201555_zpsvgb4yktu.jpg

June%202017A%201554_zpse1ib5osu.jpg

June%202017A%201556_zpslzb0rghw.jpg

June%202017A%201557_zpsnwphsehv.jpg

Did I enjoy the oysters? Need photo evidence and solid proof? See below, plus more from Cancale along the Brittany coast.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,571 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Success??!! Notice my smile from enjoying these famed Cancale oysters? Plus, here is a visual of how the beach area looks at low tide. And lunch? This is my seafood treat that was super enjoyed. Great sauce and dining delights!! Plus, a large beer from Belgium!!:

June%202017A%201558_zpsdukvd8wc.jpg

June%202017A%201559_zpsrhjfelem.jpg

June%202017A%201560_zpsgseaorgq.jpg

Enroute to our stop in Cap Fréhel, here is one of many flower treats that we enjoyed!:

June%202017A%201562_zps7baq0or0.jpg

One wonders whether his experience was so extremely life changing that it makes tolerating trivial things that others find extremely easy, a personally difficult daily challenge.

I think if I went through what he did, I'd find it difficult adjusting after that terrifying experience to continue being an entertainer and doing a job that essentially mandates small talk with extremely fortunate and demanding strangers for all working hours. He basically has very little in common with the people he serves perhaps.

No?

That's a very good explanation, Jeff. I hope other cruisers are aware of his experience and can place his conduct in context. Of course, like I said, we all have bad days.