New to Oceania

northerngirls

A very small table at the foot of the bed does not constitute a dining table and I would not want to eat a leisurely meal from a specialty restaurant there.

You should have tried it, Pete, the Butler straps a larger diameter tabletop over the glass table for dinner service, and they really set a gorgeous table.

It really is just as nice as in the Restaurants, and not crowded at all..

"In Penthouse" Dining aboard Marina and Riviera can be a highlight of the voyage.

I understand Pete's objections, and I somewhat agree -- at least as far as the "O" ships are concerned. For us, dining in a PH on the "R" ships is a better situation. (Jim, we did dine in our Marina PH a couple of times and our butler never gave us that option you mentioned!) But while we weren't entirely happy with the set-up on Marina, it wasn't awful either. My main complaint was the difficult of getting out of the chair! That didn't stop us from ordering in a few nights when we were tired from touring.

(Of course, when we are fortunate enough to be in a higher suite ... then the problem doesn't occur.)

Pete, don't worry. You are entitled to your opinion! Most of us would agree with that. OTOH, I wouldn't categorize the butler as "meh". Maybe yours wasn't as good as those we've met, OR perhaps you just don't like the idea of a butler. We didn't at first ... but were converted. Since we decided to use the butler (which we did not do at first), we've come to depend on them. When DH forgets to bring our wine to the restaurant and the but;er arrives with it in hand ... that alone is worth the service! (At least, we thought so.)

Mura

Well, that was my opinion as I saw it.

A very small table at the foot of the bed does not constitute a dining table and I would not want to eat a leisurely meal from a specialty restaurant there.

Butler MEH

Closets seemed fine

Never said it was the same, I said "did not think it was any better than our friends "regular" cabin"

I realize you are devastated any time anyone says anything about Oceania that you don't agree with. Sorry about my opinion but it is what it is. :)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion - as we all are.

Just curious - if the larger cabin size, larger bathroom, walk in closet and all the added amenities of PH above the "regular" cabin do not make the PH "any better than a regular cabin", what would it take to make the PH better than a regular cabin in your opinion?

BTW - I am not devastated about your opinion and this has nothing to do with Oceania in the first place. We are discussing whether PH is "any better than a regular cabin". We seem to differ on that topic and that's OK but it has nothing to do with Oceania cruise line per se.

One more question...[emoji4]

We are flying in from Canada (Northern Canada...but that's a whole other story!) to Miami the day before. Does anyone have an opinion on booking flights on your own or thru Oceania? I know they can customize your flights. Just not sure if there is an advantage to them doing the booking. We would handle the booking to get to our departure city here...Toronto or Montreal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should have tried it, Pete, the Butler straps a larger diameter tabletop over the glass table for dinner service, and they really set a gorgeous table.

It really is just as nice as in the Restaurants, and not crowded at all..

"In Penthouse" Dining aboard Marina and Riviera can be a highlight of the voyage.

Like Mura we've never been given the option of a larger strap on table in the O ships. I seriously don't see where there would be room for it. On the R ships maybe. Having said that I definitely think there is a big difference between the PH and a regular Veranda on either ship.

We are flying in from Canada (Northern Canada...but that's a whole other story!) to Miami the day before. Does anyone have an opinion on booking flights on your own or thru Oceania? I know they can customize your flights. Just not sure if there is an advantage to them doing the booking. We would handle the booking to get to our departure city here...Toronto or Montreal

If you fly in a day early using Oceania air you will need to do a deviation which will cost you $175 per person, $350 total. You would need to factor this into your cost of doing it through them vs doing it yourself.

you can compare the options

we fly from YYZ so I look at the fares I can get on my own then see what flight Oceania will give me with the deviation

(fee is $175 pp to choose my flights & fly in early)

Then see what works best

You will also have to factor in the non Gateway city to get to YYZ or YUL

Oceania will charge you a fee for those or if you can DIY cheaper just book air with O from YYZ or YUL what ever one works best for you

YOW is also a Gateway city if that works for you

Northern Canada is a big place ;)

Sometime we can get a good deal in BUS so I just take the air credit & do my own air

Explore the options then decide

Edited by LHT28

and remember, if you take the air credit, it is in US dollars off the price of the cruise.

Remember to multiply the credit by ~ 1.35 to get the CAD equivalent. Add the deviation fee (multiplied by 1.35) to that amount. (If you booked in USD)

We could get flights from Toronto to Lisbon and Rome to Toronto for a little bit less than what the air credit AND deviation fees converted to in CAD.

Hope I explained that correctly!

you can compare the options

we fly from YYZ so I look at the fares I can get on my own then see what flight Oceania will give me with the deviation

(fee is $175 pp to choose my flights & fly in early)

Then see what works best

You will also have to factor in the non Gateway city to get to YYZ or YUL

Oceania will charge you a fee for those or if you can DIY cheaper just book air with O from YYZ or YUL what ever one works best for you

YOW is also a Gateway city if that works for you

Northern Canada is a big place ;)

Sometime we can get a good deal in BUS so I just take the air credit & do my own air

Explore the options then decide

Northern Canada as in Iqaluit, Nunavut!

In our case it seems cheaper to do air on our own. There are a lot of legs of our journey and I feel more in control doing it in our own. If that makes any sense at all!

Northern Canada as in Iqaluit, Nunavut!

In our case it seems cheaper to do air on our own. There are a lot of legs of our journey and I feel more in control doing it in our own. If that makes any sense at all!

Yes I can see doing your own air would be the best option for you

Having your location in your profile makes answering questions like yours a bit easier when we know what area you are from ;)

Just saying