Why do I keep reading to stay on the boat at Freeport and Nassau

dliteu

I agree, if you book an excursion, get off the ship. The ports are not as good as others to just walk around. But, there are many excursions available. We use shoretrips, the port threads, and tripadvisor to pick memorable shore excursions. If its a short cruise and you want to relax, staying on the quiet ship may be your choice. No wrong answer, its a cruise, what's not to love!?

I've been to Nassau 3x. It's not my favorite & I admit it doesnt quite compare to many of the Carribbean isalnds I've seen, but I would never stay on the ship if I were to visit again. There's plenty to do & much I still haven't seen. While I understand it not being the most highly desired destination on the boards, I certainly don't think it should be automatically skipped. Do some research & I all but guarantee you'll find something enjoyable to do. I haven't had a bad time on the island yet.

I've been to Freeport once. I admit I wasn't a fan. I didn't enjoy the port area & the taxi services left much to be desired. However, we found a lovely resort to spend the day at & we enjoyed ourselves. If I were to go again, I'd get off the ship & give it another chance.

Last summer the wife and I took our fifth cruise, going to just Freeport and Nassau. It as our first time in Freeport and second time in Nassau. We were on a tighter budget that year. Here are our takeaways...

Nassau: We like it, though not our favorite. A lot of cruises go there so people might be tired of it. There are plenty of things to do, and you are right in an area where you can walk of the ship to do stuff. We snorkeled both times in Nassau. I remember that the coral was not great, but there were plenty of interesting fish. We would happily go back, but would prioritize other locations first.

Freeport: We had no idea what to expect, but were surprised that the port itself is an industrial/commercial type port. It is not built with vacations in mind. It was definitely NOT our favorite. There are a few tiny places to eat, drink, and shop (standard cruise port style) right off the ship. If you go there, I would STRONGLY recommend that you book an excursion. We probably wouldn't go back unless it was a stop on a larger cruise.

As far as not getting off the ship is concerned, it seems wasteful and silly since you pay for port fees and what not. If a port was so bad that I would stay on the ship, then I simply wouldn't book a trip to that port, unless the other ports made it worthwhile.

Please don't go to Freeport. There is nothing to see. Definitely don't go to Gold Rock Beach...f20dfc6c4256917b28f41816f31b9de1.jpg

And by all means, avoid Port Lucaya, especially at night...

195f92d29ca204ed87a9d8ecb7ad7d32.jpg

Avoid the Rand Nature Center...

4d8c236e0c416fc07fccc1dc752a8d08.jpg

Don't even think about visiting Taino Beach and Tony Macaroni Conch Experience...

7d7e7d9d27f8b30ccc44f6fbcdfbd6cd.jpg

Garden of the Groves is not beautiful...

135fb7411142efd331cacd8d9fc2ea83.jpg

And by all means, don't forget that the snorkeling and diving are terrible. That is why Unexso is on Grand Bahama

c890bae9cb3d81656b5c7503149ffba7.jpg

Please, do yourself a favor. Either stay on the ship or get off at the port and walk around with no plan to see anything... then complain about it.

Oh, almost forgot: definitely don't visit BILLY JOE'S... not fun at all. Nothing for you there. So bad I won't even put a picture... and I know no one will Google it to research.

And when you get back to your midwestern, southern, or mid-Atlantic town, by all means let everyone know you are a Grand Bahama expert... and it is DISGUSTING.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ed9eb93fbc3f5b282c2c11321cf5c5bc.jpg

Xanadu Beach is to be avoided.

As is Deadman's Reef at Holme's Rock... move along... nothing to see here...

3ea7429e9e07905e080f69cccb7c0a6d.jpg

And no whiling away the time at the Sand Bar where they have real... disgusting! SAND on the floor of the bar.

2bd3ce2e7b5a8fe120a43a5ce87ab402.jpg

Gold Rock Beach looks really nice. I am guilty of being one of those that stay on the ship in those two locations. For private ports like Grand Turk and Amber Cove one can leave the trip and walk to the beach, where as Freeport and Nassau an excursion might nessasary for a similar experience. I know some cruisers that like to have any empty ship for a day.

Gold Rock Beach looks really nice. I am guilty of being one of those that stay on the ship in those two locations. For private ports like Grand Turk and Amber Cove one can leave the trip and walk to the beach, where as Freeport and Nassau an excursion might nessasary for a similar experience. I know some cruisers that like to have any empty ship for a day.

Absolutely nothing wrong with staying on board. I myself am not a fan of Grand Cayman. But I always get a chuckle out of people who talk smack about Grand Bahama and have never been out of the port.

Grand Bahama is over a hundred miles long. There is a lot to like.

I enjoyed Nassau. The vendors are extremely pushy, but a firm no gets them to stop. We went to the public beach on paradise island, it was only like $4 for the cab ride. The beach was clean and the water was wonderful. I have read that Nassau is not the safest place, so that might make people want to stay on the ship. I have not been to Freeport.

Basically it is because it is alot of work for average paces in both ports. Also in Nassau, many times the ocean is very rough and beaches have been closed more often than not in out 7 plus times being there.

My kids love Atlantis but for a family of 4 it is a $500 day at least

In Freeport Grand Lucaya is fine

Being on 25 cruises though these are our 2 least favorite places to stop

I say get off the boat. We went to Freeport and Nassau. Out tour of the brewery in Freeport was canceled so we just did a city tour and had some lunch by the marketplace (can't remember the name of it). In Nassau we did a tour of the aquarium at Atlantis. But honestly to us the best part was the people we met. We met one lady who runs a shop who's daughter lives here in Canada about an hour away from us, and works in the same field as me. We had a great conversation. Our tour guide at Atlantis was the sweetest lady and we had such a good chat with her as well. Even just walking around seeing the sights. Isn't that what's travelling about?

We weren't in the mood to sit on a beach so that's why we did tours. But that would have been just as nice. Bottom line is you can find things to explore anywhere you are. And isn't that what a lot of travelling is about? Meeting new people, seeing different places?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Next time you get canceled just go on your own via taxi , cheaper than the actual tour ;). Not much to see but after the short tour they have a mini bar where the beer flows freely .

Nassau was our first port of call on our very first cruise last year. Even though we were with a couple members of my wife's family who cruise a lot and had been to Nassau before, since it was so new to us, we didn't schedule anything and were kind of weary to stray away from the ship. We let them guide us and they wanted to take us shopping, so that's what we did. The shops just outside the port area aren't anything special, if you ask me. The same touristy junk you can buy in any tourist town in the U.S. Many here have noted that the vendors are pushy. That's an understatement. A lot of shops had someone outside working very hard to get us to come in. Once we went inside one, more people who wouldn't leave us alone. Our last stop was in the indoor flea market. These folks were the cream of the crop when it came to harassing you to buy their wares. I realize harassment is a strong word, but that's how I felt. They would come running down the aisle and try to get me to come back to their stand. Or yell at me from afar to come see what they had. Cheap hats & T-shirts, ships in bottles, any ole trinket that was sea or island related, but very little of it was authentic or hand-crafted. Apparently, none of my "no thank you's" were firm enough for them to get the hint. They got so bad, I finally told everyone that I was done, and went back to the ship. That's not how I want to shop. I fully understand their livelihood depends heavily on cruise ship passengers because the locals sure aren't buying that stuff, but give me a break.

We're not scheduled for Nassau or Freeport on our next cruise, but our goal this time is to finally get out away from the ship and experience more of the islands. If we ever went back to Nassau, that's definitely what we'd do...get out farther.

Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone but after being on very few beaches void of beach bars and vendors.....Gold Rock beach Is preserved and so very quiet , nature at its best!

Freeport is getting ready to build a giant touristy trap

I am determined to go back before this happens!

Nassau also too many have been there so many times, but the last time we went to get in the water with a sea lion and it was awesome :cool:

Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone but after being on very few beaches void of beach bars and vendors.....Gold Rock beach Is preserved and so very quiet , nature at its best!

Freeport is getting ready to build a giant touristy trap

I am determined to go back before this happens!

Nassau also too many have been there so many times, but the last time we went to get in the water with a sea lion and it was awesome :cool:

You are so right. It will be yet another walk off the ship into a fake 'beach town' like so many other places I could name.

I enjoy both Freeport and Nassau. In Freeport, within the port area, there are vendors for souvenirs, food and beverages. I also book an inexpensive excursion to Paradise Cove for snorkeling and relaxing at the beach.

In Nassau I walk over to Junkanoo Beach to enjoy the beach and beer and conch. There is plenty to do at the town near the port as well.

There is always something fun to do in both ports. The people are nice and I didn't these ports dirty as was mentioned above.

It is just an opinion of the people who say don't get off the ship. It is not the rule. It all depends on what you like to do when you travel. Enjoy both Freeport and Nassau and do what you like to get the most out of your cruise.

In Nassau, there is a place called Captain Watling's Rum Distillery that I will now not miss if we stop there. If you like Pina Colada's, do not miss. The. Best. There is a small distillery to see and you get a sample (thimblefull) of the rum. T-shirts and shots glasses and the like available for purchase.

It is not too far of a walk from Junkanoo Beach, and walkable from the ship, but as always, be aware of your surroundings.

Freeport, I have been twice. Once stayed in the port area and had some drinks and did some shopping right there. Another time, took a 5 or 6 bus ride pp and ended up in a developed area with more shops, bars, and across the street from a nice hotel. Don't remember the name. If I end up there again, my try a resort, or stay on the ship.

But if you have never been to either place, I would definitely say try to visit a beach or something, just to say you've been there and then you can form your own opinions.

If one's plan for Nassau is to just walk off the boat and meander around the cruise port area, I'd say just stay on the boat. Too much hassle and petty crime. However, there are so many great snorkel and other water excursions... if you're into that definitely get off the boat!

We will be visiting Nassau from the Ecstasy on August 22nd... It will be our Thirty-Seventh visit to Nassau from a cruise... Even if it's just to Senor' Frogs, we will go ashore... (Weather Permitting, No Storms)

Dennis & Sue

I guess some people have no interest for one reason or another. I can find a brick wall interesting, so I'm inclined to go exploring no matter where I am. I guess if the weather is bad enough or I wasn't well, I would stay on the ship.

It's been a few years since we've done the Nassau/Freeport itinerary, so I don't know if this operation is still around. If you want an eco-tour, try Chad4Nature Tours. We chose the West End option. It included pick-up/drop off at the port, a nature walk, snorkeling and lunch at the same spot, option to shop (at various points in the excursions), tour of the "pretty places" - natural and man-made and an impromptu but informative tour of the industrial area near the port. The reason I mention the impromptu tour is because we never would have thought to ask for it. Since dh and I were the only guests on the tour, when dh and I started asking questions about the ships and factories and large port structures, our guide offered a wealth of historic and statistical information. He really warmed up to the subject.

I've been to Nassau and St. Lucia and both times just walked around a ten-square block area just off the ship. I found both ports/downtowns to be very similar culturally as well as the shops. I found the people in Nassau friendlier than St. Lucia and the armed military at every corner in St. Lucia did not exist in Nassau. If there's one port (ok two) I would not get off the ship for unless I had a guaranteed, safe excursion, it would be St. Lucia and Belize City. Nassau was fun and I would enjoy it again.

Because neither is that great for accessibility. To get an accessible taxi tour is between $400 - $600 for up to 4 people. There is 3 of us so we have that whole cost and it's just not worth it to be driven around.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Freeport is an industrial / commercial port with a tiny little market when you get off. If you book an excursion and leave the port, fine, but if you only plan to walk around the pier area you will quickly be done and there is no way to walk elsewhere. And an industrial port is kind of a dump.

Nassau we usually find something to do; it's a really low cost port to go do stuff on your own. But if you stick to the tourist trap areas it's high pressure and not all that nice. So it just depends if you plan to venture off, or if you want to stick to the area right near the ships. if you stick right near the ship and just walk around you'll probably be done after 2 hours. We do stay on the ship in Nassau more frequently now though; it is my least favorite port but it is a staple for weekend cruises and turns up on many 7 day itineraries. It's great to have an empty/quiet ship to yourself.

If you have never been to these ports I'd say get off and go do something. But, to me, they lose their appeal fastest of the ports.

We just returned from this cruise and got off ship both times. I was pleased with the beach both times, the most beautiful , pristine water and sand exists in Bahamas. We went to pirates cove in Freeport and it was very pretty , the service was bad for renting chairs and the wifi was horrible but it cost 3.00 for the beach. Nassau was absolutely beautiful , we went on a tour to Atlantis and then the taxi took us to cabbage beach and once we climbed the hill past the people trying to sell us stuff it was the most breathtaking, beautiful white sand beach. The water was crystal clear and we had a great day there. This is the free beach and so pretty. I say try it at least once or twice then once you have been there a couple of times you might be able to stay on the ship. Experience for yourself first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums