Dates for three morre ships to get Medallions

caribill

Lol accurate to a tee those press releases, just received an email from Princess advertising the arrival of the first ship to arrive in Australian waters with the Ocean medallion. The Golden Princess, first cruise available 25 Oct 2018............... :D

I'll just miss it-sailing 22/10/2018, and no regrets as I prefer the card carried in a wallet. I like the convenience of the Soda and More Package, much easier for me to budget my On Board Spending with most drinks accounted for.

these are just future plans which can be cancelled if the Medallion is a dud.

They are unlikely to cancel the medalion program. Bear in mind the medalion is not like a watch or a wearable, though it might look like one. (It can also be worn as a pin, on a lanyard or kept in a pocket by the way). It is just a chunk of plastic with a passive chip in it, using near field radio technology. They could have done this with the existing swipe card (banking cards now have near field chips). All they contain is a number that can be read by a sensor. All the clever functionality, that the hype implies is in the medallion, comes from the ships computer via a phone/tablet app or the TV. If they want to back off any of the functionality (or add to it) they will just change the software. The medalions will remain as a replacement for the swipe card however they function. You bet they will have done extensive market research before launching this. Seeing the way that mobile phones took off this will be very popular once the public get used to it. People always react to change but embrace it in the end.

Any idea as to the delay if everything's already installed?

Roll out. The functionality is in the software. Newly written software always has bugs which take time to debug, fix and then refix. If they implemented all the ships at once the programmers couldn't keep up.

I do not think this work work well. If the door is opened a second time (a second person coming in or leaving the room) would the lights go out even though you are still in the cabin?

depends on how the software is coded.

if enter cabin switch on light

if exit cabin switch off light

versus

if (enter cabin) or (exit cabin) toggle light state.

They are unlikely to cancel the medalion program. Bear in mind the medalion is not like a watch or a wearable, though it might look like one. (It can also be worn as a pin, on a lanyard or kept in a pocket by the way). It is just a chunk of plastic with a passive chip in it, using near field radio technology. .

I think you're underselling the medallion.

It's also got bluetooth low energy transmitter, a battery, etc.

There is a description here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/carnival-ocean-medallion-5-takeaways-from-one-of-2017s-premier-iot-projects/

And, this seems to be based on the disney magic band. There is a description of that here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/magic-band-teardown/inside-magic-band

depends on how the software is coded.

if enter cabin switch on light

if exit cabin switch off light

versus

if (enter cabin) or (exit cabin) toggle light state.

If there are two or more people in the cabin, you don't want the lights to go off just because one leaves.

if (count(medallions in cabin) == 0) then lights off

Seems like a switch would be easier, and more intuitive.

e.g.

Mrs. Pablo is sleeping ... don't mess with the lights as I come and go.

You still have to go through the check-in process, but it should be much quicker if you already have your Medallion. After all, they need to actually see your passport and be sure it is you.

One time saver at check-in is that they do not have to go searching to get you your cruise card.

Caribill, in one of the promo videos they stated that if you had the medallion you simply walked onto the ship as you would upload a pic of your passport to your profile at home. They showed a couple taking a pic of the passport...so I am assuming that when you walk past the staff to enter the ship it will show the pic you took of the passport....now how they can tell it is not a fake is beyond me...but then that would become I guess the guests issue if it wasn't and they needed to fly home or get into the foreign city.

I did see the press release mention luggage tracking.........hmm wonder if they mean it will tell us when it arrives at our cabin...that would be great so we could drop carryon and go wander and eat and what not then be told luggage has arrived so we could go unpack vs checking back. We always like to unpack as soon as possible and also get the bags out of the halls as it starts to get all clogged up. Plus once all luggage arrive safe and sound I can officially RELAX! lol

Caribill, in one of the promo videos they stated that if you had the medallion you simply walked onto the ship as you would upload a pic of your passport to your profile at home. They showed a couple taking a pic of the passport...so I am assuming that when you walk past the staff to enter the ship it will show the pic you took of the passport....now how they can tell it is not a fake is beyond me...but then that would become I guess the guests issue if it wasn't and they needed to fly home or get into the foreign city.

I did see the press release mention luggage tracking.........hmm wonder if they mean it will tell us when it arrives at our cabin...that would be great so we could drop carryon and go wander and eat and what not then be told luggage has arrived so we could go unpack vs checking back. We always like to unpack as soon as possible and also get the bags out of the halls as it starts to get all clogged up. Plus once all luggage arrive safe and sound I can officially RELAX! lol

I've seen a series of ***** promotional videos by the Princess VP of Sales that to me make several questionable claims about *****. Although until the system is fully operational (not just implemented beginning in November) we won't know if all of their promises will be fulfilled.

Due to fake passports they've added new security features in an effort to eliminate fake passports. Allowing passengers to add a digital copy (scanned or photo) should still require a physical scan at the port to verify it's a valid passport. Whether that will be done at a check-in counter or when boarding the ship, passports should be verified.

In an era of instant everything, I want passenger's passports verified & not merely by a digital copy. There are bad people in the world with nefarious intentions & while passport control isn't 100% effective it's better than basing it on a passenger generated digital copy of a passport. Hopefully government regulations require a physical inspection & scan to confirm it's a valid passport.

Some passengers have privacy concerns about shipboard tracking but accepting a digital copy of a passport would be a greater security risk to me.

Maybe tracking our luggage will utilize the UPC bar code that has been included on luggage tags for several years. Hopefully the luggage tracking procedure you described will be implemented which as I recall reading is available on some airlines.

Astro flyer I totally agree with you on the need to check passports, perhaps it will be done at the security line like at airports. I have never been in a long line to check into princess...always breezed right through. The longest wait was to get through the actual security check point from there even before being platinum we breezed through and right on so that aspect of the medallion doesn't appeal to me...actually the only thing that would make my life easier is the opening of the door as sometimes hands are full...other than that ehh. I am keeping an open mind about it, but don't need to know where my friends are...leaving messages on the door or their cabin phones has worked for the past 10 years for us and continues to. I am sure this will make some lives way easier but for me ehh. Now I have to figure out how to carry it unless it is thin enough to slip into my camera case I carry all the time OH an remembering to bring it with from home...lol. Now if it can tell me my bags are at my cabin......then that would be sweet but I guess we shall see come this November what truly transpires...and luckily I have 2 ships and about 5 months on the ship we board before we board to use it...hope all kinks are worked out...probably not but as long as I am on the ship and it is moving and I have clothes...I am a happy sailor!

Astro flyer I totally agree with you on the need to check passports, perhaps it will be done at the security line like at airports. I have never been in a long line to check into princess...always breezed right through. The longest wait was to get through the actual security check point from there even before being platinum we breezed through and right on so that aspect of the medallion doesn't appeal to me.

I guess we shall see come this November what truly transpires...and luckily I have 2 ships and about 5 months on the ship we board before we board to use it...hope all kinks are worked out...probably not but as long as I am on the ship and it is moving and I have clothes...I am a happy sailor!

I arrive early & check-in lines are usually short taking only a couple of minutes. Handing them my boarding pass, scanning my passport & giving me our cruise cards is acceptable for me. Being an earlybird the longest delay is waiting in the priority boarding lounge between check-in and boarding. Hopefully scanning passports occurs at the check-in counter & not when boarding which would result in a slower process.

Scanning at security or the boarding gate would require new equipment & possibly delay the process. Somewhere there will be a delay unless we arrive later after crowding is less. I'm willing to sacrifice by arriving early to board in time for the MDR lunch & an earlier start to our cruise. :)

Whatever the process, it's understandable that with new technology there will be some issues. And hopefully ***** will eventually benefit most passengers after all of the kinks get worked out. Of my 4 future cruises only 2 on the Royal will have ***** but hopefully by Spring 2019 many of those kinks will be corrected by then. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I arrive early & check-in lines are usually short taking only a couple of minutes. Handing them my boarding pass, scanning my passport & giving me our cruise cards is acceptable for me. Being an earlybird the longest delay is waiting in the priority boarding lounge between check-in and boarding. Hopefully scanning passports occurs at the check-in counter & not when boarding which would result in a slower process.

Scanning at security or the boarding gate would require new equipment & possibly delay the process. Somewhere there will be a delay unless we arrive later after crowding is less. I'm willing to sacrifice by arriving early to board in time for the MDR lunch & an earlier start to our cruise. :)

Whatever the process, it's understandable that with new technology there will be some issues. And hopefully ***** will eventually benefit most passengers after all of the kinks get worked out. Of my 4 future cruises only 2 on the Royal will have ***** but hopefully by Spring 2019 many of those kinks will be corrected by then. ;)

Yeah we are not needy cruisers and since I sit at a computer all day when I go on vacay all those devices go away. Unless of course I bring my kindle to read vs an actual book. After that the only digital things I have are the camera and the clock to wake us up. I will use the small tablet we have at night before bed to check in on family with a quick email but we never go over our free minutes we get with the platinum perks..I stare at one of those things long enough at work..i try to as princess says "escape completely"!

I think you're underselling the medallion.

OK, I missed the bluetooth, but it does not have (as they imply "The medallion incorporates machine learning. ") computerized intelligence. That is in the system, but not in the device itself. They admit near the bottom of the article that is purely a communication device.

promo videos

That's the clue. Like politicians they say whatever they think will sell the idea, they are not interested in practicalities or truth. (Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball "That's a mere advertising puff")

Whether the port will accept the cruise line's check in, in lieu of their own formal immigration/emigration process, is another matter. It might be port dependent, Dover seem very relaxed, New York less so.

I did see the press release mention luggage tracking.

Unless the luggage had it's own medallion then it couldn't be auto tracked. However the passenger using a medallion with an app could inquire the status any time, so what you want could be possible. It just needs the crew to update the system when luggage is delivered. If you have multiple bags this could complicate things. It is extra work for the cruise line so it might depend on whether they perceive this as a competitive advantage. Perhaps we all need to ask for it on our post cruise surveys.

Due to fake passports they've added new security features in an effort to eliminate fake passports. Allowing passengers to add a digital copy (scanned or photo) should still require a physical scan at the port to verify it's a valid passport. Whether that will be done at a check-in counter or when boarding the ship, passports should be verified.

One might upload a digital picture of their passport, but someone is going to have to check

that you actually have the passport with you before you board.

Thanks for the updates...that adds more confusion about why the Majestic isn't scheduled to be one of the first 7 ships with *****.

Not really confusing if you think about it. Ocean medallion is WAY more detailed than just access to cabin doors. Yes, that is a significant component but remember it involves TV interactions both in your room and throughout the ship, sensors will be placed all over the ship to track your movements and POS terminals all over the ship now have to work with the medallion. This likely requires a dry dock to complete and while some of the Majestic systems may have been compatible there is likely a large amount of work to be done. Remember the majestic was being built back in 2015 so I'm not sure they had the plans for ***** way back then. Being that she was just launched her first dry dock I would imagine won't be for a few years.

Passports themselves will still always be verified by immigration officials no matter what the cruise line accepts at check in. So really no concern there. While I understand where you are coming from what is the difference between this and cruising with a birth certificate and drivers license?

Not really confusing if you think about it. Ocean medallion is WAY more detailed than just access to cabin doors. Yes, that is a significant component but remember it involves TV interactions both in your room and throughout the ship, sensors will be placed all over the ship to track your movements and POS terminals all over the ship now have to work with the medallion. This likely requires a dry dock to complete and while some of the Majestic systems may have been compatible there is likely a large amount of work to be done. Remember the majestic was being built back in 2015 so I'm not sure they had the plans for ***** way back then. Being that she was just launched her first dry dock I would imagine won't be for a few years.

I would think it would need a dry dock, but if that is the case, when will the Royal have one? I doubt they made the upgrades on her last one, though I guess it's possible.

Passports themselves will still always be verified by immigration officials no matter what the cruise line accepts at check in. So really no concern there. While I understand where you are coming from what is the difference between this and cruising with a birth certificate and drivers license?

No real difference at all. With a passport, the passport is scanned by the check-in person who may be notified that the passport has not been assigned to a passenger yet in which case the check-in person will select the person who is shown on the passport after (hopefully) verifying that the photo looks like the passenger. With a birth certificate, the check-in person will look for a raised seal on the certificate and then enter the appropriate information from the passport into the system and then enter the appropriate data from the government issued photo id (usually a drivers' license) into the system. That is the sum difference between processing those 2 types of travel documents.

Tom

No real difference at all. With a passport, the passport is scanned by the check-in person who may be notified that the passport has not been assigned to a passenger yet in which case the check-in person will select the person who is shown on the passport after (hopefully) verifying that the photo looks like the passenger. With a birth certificate, the check-in person will look for a raised seal on the certificate and then enter the appropriate information from the passport into the system and then enter the appropriate data from the government issued photo id (usually a drivers' license) into the system. That is the sum difference between processing those 2 types of travel documents.

Tom

The OP I had quoted was concerned about fake passports and that they would not be verified. I was simply making the connection that customs will always verify your travel documents wether the crusieline does or doesn't.

Also, have you seen some of the older birth certificates? There are no security features and tbh most of the real ones look counterfeit. My point being if someone really wanted to counterfeit something it's gonna be a DL and birth certificate vs a passport.

The OP I had quoted was concerned about fake passports and that they would not be verified. I was simply making the connection that customs will always verify your travel documents wether the crusieline does or doesn't.

Also, have you seen some of the older birth certificates? There are no security features and tbh most of the real ones look counterfeit. My point being if someone really wanted to counterfeit something it's gonna be a DL and birth certificate vs a passport.

What I find amazing is how many passports I see that are unsigned! I have to wonder how close C&BP really look at the passports when they don't catch missing signatures. What else do they miss also? I've been told countless times "I've been traveling on this passport for 6 months!" and twice in the last 3 weeks I've been told "I traveled to XXXX with this passport and they didn't catch that when I went into or out of that country!" Simply amazing. But, the points you make about the primary document that they're going to counterfeit being the BC & DL are right on the money. Every once in awhile, somebody shows up with one of the hospital issued "birth certificates" with the inked footprints and tries to use that. Nope, that's a no-no. Hopefully that's found early enough in the day that we're able to work around that, but not always.

Tom

I think we're basically saying similar things so let me clarify a few things.

My concern was about those who believe that a scanned copy added to ***** would not require physically checking passports at the cruise terminal. CBP already needs our passport information before arriving at the ship but also requires scanning & checking at the cruise terminal.

Thus even with ***** having a scanned copy of our passport there should still be a physical check for valid passports. Whether that's at a check-in counter, at security or at the gate we don't know if ***** will change the procedure.

I've viewed several ***** promotional videos by ther VP of Sales which makes it appear that we arrive at the cruise terminal & simply walk onboard. As I previously posted, ***** won't significantly improve my boarding process. Handing my boarding pass & passport at the check-in counter isn't very time consuming. Wherever the physical passport check happens that will slow down the process & don't see how ***** would help.

You've said that CBP will verify passports before boarding the ship. I've never had a CBP agent check our passports before boarding in the US and it's always been by civilians at the check-in counter & a glance by port security at the gate before boarding the ship.

I agree...there are easier to get counterfeit documents such as DL & birth certificates than a passport but no system is 100% secure.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You've said that CBP will verify passports before boarding the ship. I've never had a CBP agent check our passports before boarding in the US and it's always been by civilians at the check-in counter & a glance by port security at the gate before boarding the ship.

I believe that all the CB&P agents have already left the pier in Seattle by the time people have started loading onto the ship. After the passports are scanned at check in they are returned to the passengers and told to put them in their safes in their staterooms. Except for the foreign passports from countries whose citizens require Canadian visas. Those are retained at check-in and brought on board the ship by the ships' personnel working with the check-in people. The only thing that the security guard at the gangway sees is the passengers' cruise cards. Other ports may do it differently, but not one that I've been through yet.

Tom