18% Gratuity on Drinks

zerooveride

I guess... meh. I've just never had any of those problems on a ship. Really, are these types of things going on so often that people are driven to be concerned and preoccupied about the auto-grat and where it goes? Spill drinks all over you... seriously? How does a bartender spill drinks all over you? That simply doesn't happen.

I suppose if bartenders are consistently giving you bad attitude and "forgetting" your order, you might want to take a look in the mirror rather than the opposite side of the bar.

Honest to God, I never give the DSC or the auto-grats a single thought when I'm on the ship. Why are people so busy with this?

Again, spot on. Spill drinks on you? I agree, I can only imagine how many people think they deserve above and beyond. I can only imagine how much the bartenders have to deal with a@@hole cruisers.

I'm not sure exactly what they get. I've heard that they are looked at for promotions and that they also get special perks, such as time off but I don't really know for sure.

All I know is that when we have filled them out and mentioned it to the crew member they were super happy and excited.

Maybe someone here knows what the rewards are?

Those helping me out got really excited too when I filled it out. He gave me my prime rib within 10 minutes of me sitting down at a table by myself. Great service! I tipped him very well and wrote that thing, but it was the card that he was excited about.

I guess... meh. I've just never had any of those problems on a ship. Really, are these types of things going on so often that people are driven to be concerned and preoccupied about the auto-grat and where it goes? Spill drinks all over you... seriously? How does a bartender spill drinks all over you? That simply doesn't happen.

I suppose if bartenders are consistently giving you bad attitude and "forgetting" your order, you might want to take a look in the mirror rather than the opposite side of the bar.

Honest to God, I never give the DSC or the auto-grats a single thought when I'm on the ship. Why are people so busy with this?

Relax. Don't get so angry. It's not me. These things happen when you go on enough cruises. you run into bad apples. Also I am quite a bit younger than your average cruiser, so people treat you differently.

Not all servers are bad. Where I mostly encounter the bad attitude is in the popping night club, not while longuing around the pool or at an event. some bartenders there have a f u attitude b/c it is so busy and packed with loud music. Regardless, don't give me the death stare or be rude. I have a funny story, but I'll save it for another day. BTW Even with the DSC, I still give extra tip while in the onboard club.

In terms of the spilling, it was a server bringing a drink in the MDR at RCL. He some how dropped 4-8 juices on my dad :') The ship wasn't rocky either. He just lost his balance. Honest mistake. But we did not tip that night. The next day the server was demoted to the buffet area. My dad took it very well even though glasses hit his head, and they ended up dry cleaning everything complimentary.

These situations happen. Maybe I am a magnet for these weird aberrations. But you are bound to run into bad apples when you cruise a lot. No one is perfect. So I am not going to tip someone who is bringing their D/F game.

I cruise 2 to 3 times per year. Those things don't happen to me.

As for the server... how do you know he was demoted? Did you ask him? Because if you cruise a lot, you would know that servers regularly rotate to different venues and positions.

I saw him in the buffet the next day clearing tables for the rest of the time we where there (It was like day 2 or 3 of a 10 day cruise so it was quite long). And he apologized to my dad again.

Reflecting on it some more, I do get treated differently. I think it's due to my age. When I went to a latitudes member event one time, my mom showed the attendant the invitation we got in the room and continued to move forward. I was literally just behind my parents, but the person stopped and told me that this was a private event. I said I know and continue to walk. Then he ran in front of me and said I needed to get out. I was so confused. And my parents, who were literally in front of me turned around to ask what was going on. My mom showed him the letter with my name on it, but he didn't believe it was me. I had to show him my card that I was a latitudes member. Then he let me go.

This kind of stuff doesn't happen to others. I think it is due to my age, but I could be mistaken.

I really doubt it has anything to do with your age. My daughter was platinum at a very young age and no crew member has ever treated her poorly on a cruise ship. A lot of families cruise regularly and their children--tiny to teens have platinum and higher statuses.

Like trip, I cruise a couple times a year and have never had less than excellent service. To be fair, I don't go to "popping night clubs." I don't think anyone's getting angry--maybe, but I don't see it--it sounds to me like your experiences of spilled drinks and bad attitudes are very different from what most of experience on a cruise ship.

I really doubt it has anything to do with your age. My daughter was platinum at a very young age and no crew member has ever treated her poorly on a cruise ship. A lot of families cruise regularly and their children--tiny to teens have platinum and higher statuses.

Like trip, I cruise a couple times a year and have never had less than excellent service. To be fair, I don't go to "popping night clubs." I don't think anyone's getting angry--maybe, but I don't see it--it sounds to me like your experiences of spilled drinks and bad attitudes are very different from what most of experience on a cruise ship.

Then I have no idea why I was stopped. It really took me aback. I was so confused. Clearly I was there with my parents. Clearly my mom presented my invitation. IDK what happened. I am still one of the youngest people to go to the latitudes meetings. I still get mistakened for being a 18 yo. And my sister and I are the youngest looking people at those latitude events where they give out drinks. I have never seen any kids in there. IDK what's happening.

I don't either. Since I wasn't there, it's just conjecture and what I've experienced that's forming my opinion. My daughter's been cruising with me since she was a toddler and her experience is very different from what you describe. Maybe you're the one with the attitude!! :p;p

I don't either. Since I wasn't there, it's just conjecture and what I've experienced that's forming my opinion. My daughter's been cruising with me since she was a toddler and her experience is very different from what you describe. Maybe you're the one with the attitude!! :p;p

The dude with the tude:cool:

Dr. Ebenizer Cunningham McDoogle-Farts the Third is how I introduce myself.

Oh, so you are male?

At first thought you might be female from your initial posts :cool:

I noticed you included the "Dr." in your title. :rolleyes:

(yes, some of us have earned the same degree but do not use it in our personal life)

I think the NCL policy of the "forced" 18% thing is kind of nickle and dime IMO however the 18% charge if you are buying individual drinks isn't actually that bad of a deal. I'm not a big drinker but on the Sun they had drinks of the day that were usually $8-$9 which is reasonable. Throw on the 18% gratuity $1.44-$1.62 is actually a great deal (and no tax).

And my sister and I are the youngest looking people at those latitude events where they give out drinks. I have never seen any kids in there. IDK what's happening.

Our son (currently 12) has been to a few of these latitudes events. He always used to just come along with us if we went, and I have seen other families in there as well. It's never been questioned at all.

Nowadays, if we go, he usually stays in the cabin. It's never really been on his list of favourite things. :)