First time onboard a Cunard Ship.

Sanjam cruisers

My wife and I are looking forward to our first experience of Cunard having booked Queen Mary 2 for an Eastbound Trans Atlantic on Friday 20th October 2017.

Being experienced Cruisers and liking Formal Nights where on our previous 14 night cruises we have four such nights our question is how many such nights may we look forward to on our seven night crossing.

Do Cunard demand that Ladies wear long dresses on all Formal Nights as my wife will normally wear long dresses on two nights and knee length dresses or trousers on the other two.

I look forward to your reply's.

Congratulations on booking your first Cunard crossing, I hope you have a wonderful time.

There are normally 3 formal nights on a 7 day crossing. The formal dress code is -

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies

Many thanks BlueRiband and HostHattie for your prompt reply"s, we are both looking forward to our first Cunard Voyage after what has been a long year after the unexpected death of my wonderful Mother in Law who despite her 911/2 years was a very big part of our lives.

My wife and I are looking forward to our first experience of Cunard having booked Queen Mary 2 for an Eastbound Trans Atlantic on Friday 20th October 2017.

Being experienced Cruisers and liking Formal Nights where on our previous 14 night cruises we have four such nights our question is how many such nights may we look forward to on our seven night crossing.

Do Cunard demand that Ladies wear long dresses on all Formal Nights as my wife will normally wear long dresses on two nights and knee length dresses or trousers on the other two.

Good morning Sanjam and welcome to Cunard.

As an insight into life onboard during a crossing onboard Queen Mary 2 you may wish to look at these two reviews I wrote on my cruise blog. There are plenty of photographs...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/07/24/queen-mary-2-anniversary-voyage/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/07/24/queen-mary-2-anniversary-voyage/

31990567236_c15b214352_z.jpg

Please also note that passengers take these formal nights very seriously - on our Norway cruise we could even see ladies wearing evening gowns in the buffet! I was chasing around a 2 year old and 6 year old so they seemed to be fairly tolerant about the fact that my dress wasn't terribly formal but you might feel really underdressed on Cunard if you don't participate in formal nights (it sounds like this won't be a problem for you, which is great). Please note that on Cunard the dress code applies to most of the ship, not just the dining rooms on formal nights.

Heya! Completely agree that Cunard passengers take the dress code EXTREMELY seriously.

It's worth noting that the dress code is ship wide after 6pm, it isn't just in the dining room, it's everywhere.

Here's what I wore on formal/informal nights: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code/

Hope that helps! I found the informal nights almost as formal as the formal nights...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to the TA Liner Club.

As another CC posted a rather apt sentence.

There are many ways to cross the Atlantic, but the QM is the only way.

Have a wonderful voyage.

After Cunard, there will be no going back to your previous line.

Many thanks Solent Richard(Have had the pleasure of reading your many contributions to this and another well known Cruise forum over the last few years)

Again thanks Port Royal we are both looking forward to our trip on a True Ocean Liner, I was born and brought up just a few miles down river from the yard that built all three previous Queens and many other famous ships.

Kitkat343 and Eleteace

Thank you for your reply's, my wife and I are very experienced in Formal Night Dress Codes and are more than happy happy to conform with those requirements wherever they are required.

We have recently done the two way crossing on QM2 and did not think that the formal nights were extremely formal at all.....we have seen more formal dress on P & O to be honest!!

We noticed quite a large percentage of men wearing lounge suits and ties and very few ball gowns, a few fascinators and cocktail dresses, but mostly cocktail dresses, full length dresses or black trousers and tops.....much the same as P & O or Princess passengers would wear!

We have recently done the two way crossing on QM2 and did not think that the formal nights were extremely formal at all.....we have seen more formal dress on P & O to be honest!!

Having just returned from my first Cunard trip on QE I would concur.

On formal nights I thought there was a significantly greater number of men on Cunard wearing dark suits and not DJ than you would see on P&O; probably due to a significant number of non-UK passengers who were packing for flights.

Although there were some ladies in more ostentatious gowns on formal nights, the majority were in nothing more fancy than you would see on P&O.

On informal nights things were a little smarter than P&O, but not radically different. Most men wearing what they would have worn with the addition of a jacket and a third of them wearing a tie. Ladies taking the opportunity to wear something nice, but nothing outrageous.

The 'problem' with formal nights is the weight of a dinner suit and several formal gowns. Our last voyage was a round trip on the QM2 which meant no worries about weight. The only restriction was how to manage all our cases :D

We only had three so how people cope with more baffles me :eek:

Our next voyage is 29 nights on the Queen Elizabeth with a longhaul flight home and already I'm trying to work out how to pack everything into two cases. But don't worry, the dinner suit will be in the case. DH scrubs up rather well in his penguin suit ;p

OP, enjoy your cruise. You seem to understand the dress code very well. Your only problem is that you could well be hooked and about to enter into a love affair with Cunard. Welcome to the club.

The 'problem' with formal nights is the weight of a dinner suit and several formal gowns. Our last voyage was a round trip on the QM2 which meant no worries about weight. The only restriction was how to manage all our cases :D

Which is why I'm seriously considering bringing one black suit and wearing it with a non-white dress shirt on informal nights. We're spending a week in England before flying home, and I could quite easily not wear any of my dinner attire the whole time we're there.