Another internet/texting question....I'm totally confused

I just booked Harmony for 7/29 and I've spent a ton of time searching threads for the answer to this question. I desperately need to unplug on this vacation and have no want or need to purchase the internet package, which I did until/unless I find out I don't really need it, then I'll cancel it. I just want to be able to check in with my kids back home once or twice a day, either by cell phone text message, or preferably Facebook Messenger. That's all I need. I've seen several posts about the IQ app but that sounds more like its for contacting others who are on ship.

On previous cruises I went to the internet cafe and logged on for a few minutes but as I understand it, that is no longer an option. I will have my cell phone (Android) and tablet (Samsung Galaxy). To just trade a couple of "hey, how are you, is everything ok" messages back and forth with my kids each day, what is my most affordable option? My biggest fear with the internet package is that I will cave in and start surfing. Biggest reason for this cruise is because its the best way for me to relax and unplug. So many of you seem to have this all figured out so I appreciate your help. Thanks!

I just booked Harmony for 7/29 and I've spent a ton of time searching threads for the answer to this question. I desperately need to unplug on this vacation and have no want or need to purchase the internet package, which I did until/unless I find out I don't really need it, then I'll cancel it. I just want to be able to check in with my kids back home once or twice a day, either by cell phone text message, or preferably Facebook Messenger. That's all I need. I've seen several posts about the IQ app but that sounds more like its for contacting others who are on ship.

On previous cruises I went to the internet cafe and logged on for a few minutes but as I understand it, that is no longer an option. I will have my cell phone (Android) and tablet (Samsung Galaxy). To just trade a couple of "hey, how are you, is everything ok" messages back and forth with my kids each day, what is my most affordable option? My biggest fear with the internet package is that I will cave in and start surfing. Biggest reason for this cruise is because its the best way for me to relax and unplug. So many of you seem to have this all figured out so I appreciate your help. Thanks!

You don't have what you would call "an affordable option". You can only buy internet access in 24 hours blocks. One day, the whole cruise, the last three days, whatever. The lowest "per day price" is for buying the whole week. Buying individual 24 hour blocks is the most expensive.

Check with your cell phone provider to see how much texts cost. Verizon are $0.50 and $0.05 to send and receive. That would be the cheapest way to go.

Also, check what your coverage is in port. If you are heading to St Thomas, that is now domestic for most providers. Lots of places will have free wifi with the purchase of a drink.

Check with your cell phone provider to see how much texts cost. Verizon are $0.50 and $0.05 to send and receive. That would be the cheapest way to go.

Also, check what your coverage is in port. If you are heading to St Thomas, that is now domestic for most providers. Lots of places will have free wifi with the purchase of a drink.

Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel. No free coverage there.

Another option is to use free internet while in port to communicate home. That's obviously only available when in port. Depending on the port, you may need to do some advanced research to see where free internet is offered.

Edit: See Merion_Mom's posting above.

You could also buy the "1" device package. It would keep you from going crazy surfing, but would allow your cell phone ( if configured) to use wifi calling. With wifi you could FaceTime, Skype, what's app , or other service with the kids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or, give the "emergency number" to your kids...tell them to contact YOU if there's an emergency. No news is good news! "Back in the day", being away meant being out of touch...and we ALL survived! And if you MUST "check in" daily, do ask your waiter or cabin attendant where the nearest "free" wifi is. They ALL know all the hot spots!

All great answers, and I believe I have the info I need now to make an informed decision. Thanks everyone! The availability to get technology on a ship certainly has changed in the last few years. I bought the premium bev+surf/stream package because I KNOW I'll use the beverage package! For me its not as much about saving $ (although that is important) as it is my confidence in my ability to stay away from the internet :) I do have Verizon so will check into their texting rates.

Now on to figuring out if I want to do shore excursions, or mostly stay on board. I did this same itinerary on Oasis with my husband in '13 so have been to all the ports. My main objective is to rest, relax and renew.

Or, give the "emergency number" to your kids...tell them to contact YOU if there's an emergency. No news is good news! "Back in the day", being away meant being out of touch...and we ALL survived! And if you MUST "check in" daily, do ask your waiter or cabin attendant where the nearest "free" wifi is. They ALL know all the hot spots!

I know, right? My first cruise that's exactly what we did because that was our only option. Everyone had explicit instruction to not contact us on the ship unless it was a serious emergency. I still remember how my heart dropped when walking into the cabin one evening and seeing the message light blinking....thankfully it was just Guest Services checking on something. Phew! But you're right!!

All great answers, and I believe I have the info I need now to make an informed decision. Thanks everyone! The availability to get technology on a ship certainly has changed in the last few years. I bought the premium bev+surf/stream package because I KNOW I'll use the beverage package! For me its not as much about saving $ (although that is important) as it is my confidence in my ability to stay away from the internet :) I do have Verizon so will check into their texting rates.

Now on to figuring out if I want to do shore excursions, or mostly stay on board. I did this same itinerary on Oasis with my husband in '13 so have been to all the ports. My main objective is to rest, relax and renew.

If you have a wifi package, you will be able to use wifi calling, assuming your android supports it, I am an iphone user so not sure about your android. I know on my iphone, wifi calling is under settings>phone>wifi calling. I just enable wifi calling, put my phone in airplane mode, enable wifi and connect to Voom. I can then make calls and texts over wifi. Since you already bought voom, it doesn't make sense to pay to text via cellular if that phone supports wifi calling.

as it is my confidence in my ability to stay away from the internet

How about this - "donate" your VOOM login info to your MDR waiter or cabin steward? They would appreciate that as much as a tip and you wouldn't be tempted to use it.

I bought the internet package only because the price seemed to be good (relatively speaking) until I knew what my other options were. I didn't want to dawdle around, have the price go up and then regret not buying it. I'm still not sure I will keep it. But at least now I can make an informed decision, thanks to everyone's advice and knowledge. :-)

If you have a wifi package, you will be able to use wifi calling, assuming your android supports it, I am an iphone user so not sure about your android. I know on my iphone, wifi calling is under settings>phone>wifi calling. I just enable wifi calling, put my phone in airplane mode, enable wifi and connect to Voom. I can then make calls and texts over wifi. Since you already bought voom, it doesn't make sense to pay to text via cellular if that phone supports wifi calling.

Never knew this! Wow! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums