Tips - Cash or Card?

Shay Shay

Is it better to tip with cash or automatic through Carnival?

I would prefer to tip directly with cash so I know that the money is going to that person and only that person. I am very suspicious that Carnival takes a cut of their tip if I do it the automatic way.

Seems like a no-brainer except that I've heard that cash tips may make it more difficult for the staff to have to deposit the money in their banks.

I just want to make it easier for the hard workers on the ship and was wondering what they prefer?

Any thoughts?

I would prefer to tip directly with cash so I know that the money is going to that person and only that person. I am very suspicious that Carnival takes a cut of their tip if I do it the automatic way.

Seems like a no-brainer except that I've heard that cash tips may make it more difficult for the staff to have to deposit the money in their banks.

I just want to make it easier for the hard workers on the ship and was wondering what they prefer?

Any thoughts?

Once you leave a tip you have no assurance at all that it goes only to the person you give it to since many establishments pool tips or the staff tip out to other staff members. As to what they prefer that will probably vary by individual, but personally I know that if I leave the auto tips in place everyone that is supposed to get a share of it does. If a crew member goes above and beyond for me then I will leave an extra cash tip at the end.

I would prefer to tip directly with cash so I know that the money is going to that person and only that person.

You can't be assured that. All cruise lines have a "tipping" formula in place that assumes that each person receives cash for those that remove it. That formula is than used to distribute the cash. The more people that remove tips, the more likely the person will have to share tips that they did not receive, increasing the stress level on the employee.....Leave the auto tip alone. It does not help anyone by giving cash.

I am very suspicious that Carnival takes a cut of their tip if I do it the automatic way.

If you feel Carnival Corp is that disparate that they need to "steal" from their employees, than why are you sailing on Carnival?

I believe most ships have a "banking Center" on the ship, where they can handle international transactions. I doubt cash would be an issue. It is as easy as if you make a cash deposit in an ATM.

Any thoughts?

Well, if you ask 1000 people on the ship, the question what they would prefer, I'm sure you will get 1000 different answers. They want tips, whether it is on credit card, cash in hand, automatic or any other way you can think of, as long as they get it! These employees are not any more hard working than others you encounter on land. As a general rule, a lot of them are not "hard working" just like on land, you have those that are less desirable. They do however work for a paycheck, and just like you and I, made a choice of where to work. Many of them are quite happy with their choice, and renew their contracts.

Well, if you ask 1000 people on the ship, the question what they would prefer, I'm sure you will get 1000 different answers. They want tips, whether it is on credit card, cash in hand, automatic or any other way you can think of, as long as they get it! These employees are not any more hard working than others you encounter on land. As a general rule, a lot of them are not "hard working" just like on land, you have those that are less desirable. They do however work for a paycheck, and just like you and I, made a choice of where to work. Many of them are quite happy with their choice, and renew their contracts.

As far as banking center the crew use the kiosks just as the passengers do (it is my understanding that their pay is automatically added to their kiosk account). I watched a crew member on the Fascination deposit $5 into his account.

Leave the auto-gratuities in place! There are people behind the scenes that make your cruise run smoothly; they get deprived of their tip if you choose to only tip those with whom you interact.

If someone goes above and beyond, or if you are just feeling extra generous one day, you can tip whomever you like how much you like in cash.

Cruise lines work on a pooled tipping system. There are many other servers supporting the servers you have the final interaction with. So, you may be focused on a handful of people which are the end result of that process but there is an entire team who worked to provide that service who are all compensated from those tips.

They system is in place for a reason.

:( Don't make life difficult for your self go with the auto tips. If for some reason you are not satisfied with the service report it to the Desk Services. If the service does not improve then remove the auto tips. Other wise just leave them in place. I'm sure Carnival is not stealing from their employees. If they were I'm sure they would have a very hard time finding any one that would work for them. We have talked with staff that tell us they worked for other cruise lines and they prefer Carnival. What a surprise right? One added point I have read that if you give cash tips at the end of the cruise the person you give the cash to MUST turn it into the pool. Failure to do so results in being fired. This is what I read on CC.How true it is IDK.:cool:

As far as banking center the crew use the kiosks just as the passengers do (it is my understanding that their pay is automatically added to their kiosk account). I watched a crew member on the Fascination deposit $5 into his account.

That's just like anyone else. It's a bank account, and they have access to it with their ID card, just like a passenger when on the ship. Off the ship, they have access to it on a debit card just like anyone else. The Kiosk is a banking ATM.

We leave a buck extra on our Cheers drinks by adding it to the receipt because I don't think the Cheers standard gratuity that is added really covers all the drinks we have, especially those yummy cocktails at Alchemy bar.

I think that's also the only way you can see how many drinks you had to see if you got a good deal with

Cheers. Don't the zero balance drinks no come up on your account at all?

I have no idea what happens to that tip after I sign for it but I feel like I've done my part. We've never had bad service so I think it works.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with Sparks. I leave on the automatic grats & if it warrants, may tip some people a little extra cash.

I agree with both :D

The way it works for cabin stewards and wait staff is that IF you leave the automatic grats ON any extra cash you give them goes into the pocket of the person you handed it to.

IF you take OFF the auto-grats any extra cash tip you give must go into the tip pool under the penalty of losing their job if they don't.

That's just like anyone else. It's a bank account, and they have access to it with their ID card, just like a passenger when on the ship. Off the ship, they have access to it on a debit card just like anyone else. The Kiosk is a banking ATM.

It's anything but a bank account and no one has access to it off the ship. For passengers it's a link to your sail and sign card. If you want to take cash out of your bank you have to use the actual ATM that they have onboard (or find one ashore). For the crew it's where they can electronically store their funds while onboard. As I understand it there is a way for them to do an EFT to a bank account, but they have to pay for that transaction.

I always pre pay my gratuities and bring 50 singles. I make a point of giving the 50 singles to random people who have done something for me. I will usually give out five singles at a time. I remember giving a bus boy (for lack of a better word) $5 . He looked exhausted but kept plugging away at cleaning up plates and wiping tables. I approached him, gave him the money and thanked him for keeping the tables so clean. You would have thought I performed a life saving heart operation on him he was so thrilled. (perhaps it was my recognition more so than the money?)

When I think of the money I drop on a weeks vacation, giving ten people $5 is nothing and I have always received an utter look of surprise or an ear to ear smile. Spread the love, if even in five dollar increments.

:( Don't make life difficult for your self go with the auto tips. If for some reason you are not satisfied with the service report it to the Desk Services. If the service does not improve then remove the auto tips. Other wise just leave them in place. I'm sure Carnival is not stealing from their employees. If they were I'm sure they would have a very hard time finding any one that would work for them. We have talked with staff that tell us they worked for other cruise lines and they prefer Carnival. What a surprise right? One added point I have read that if you give cash tips at the end of the cruise the person you give the cash to MUST turn it into the pool. Failure to do so results in being fired. This is what I read on CC.How true it is IDK.:cool:

That is NOT true...John Heald has answered this before several times...cash tips are kept in full by the person who gets them.

I prepay plus bring $200 in 1s for extra tipping throughout the week.

I like to give my waiters in the MDR, the room steward, and the Alchemy bartenders all $20 the first night so we are well taken care of all week.

I show up....pay the gratuities that have been charged to my account at the end of the cruise and always get well taken care of. Some of the standouts are all given something extra on the last day.

I don't believe in bribery, I also don't tip the server at a land based restaurant when I am seated in the hopes of good service.