No Specialty Dining - Xmas Eve & Xmas Day?

Hi,

Just curious - I noticed that the main specialty dining - Chops and Giovanni's - are not available for the first two days of the cruise, which happen to be Christmas eve and Christmas Day. Do they not offer those on holidays or are they just so popular that they are booked already?

Hi,

Just curious - I noticed that the main specialty dining - Chops and Giovanni's - are not available for the first two days of the cruise, which happen to be Christmas eve and Christmas Day. Do they not offer those on holidays or are they just so popular that they are booked already?

Most likely they are keeping them for onboard booking, as they generally raise prices significanly for holidays.

They try to price gouge people in Chops and Giovanni's on Christmas as New Years. Last year on Navigator, they were trying to charge $75 pp for a "special" fixed menu that was horrible. After 1 day with nobody booking this "special" they reverted back to the normal operation and accepted reservations at the normal service charge.

Another thing to watch out for is the raise all the drink prices, so unless you have a package, expect to pay more than usual for your alcoholic drinks.

They try to price gouge people in Chops and Giovanni's on Christmas as New Years. Last year on Navigator, they were trying to charge $75 pp for a "special" fixed menu that was horrible. After 1 day with nobody booking this "special" they reverted back to the normal operation and accepted reservations at the normal service charge.

Another thing to watch out for is the raise all the drink prices, so unless you have a package, expect to pay more than usual for your alcoholic drinks.

Good to know that they reverted back to the regular pricing. I wonder if other ships reverted back or if it was just the Navigator.

Last year on the Oasis for the Christmas sailing, they did not have a special menu for Chops, Giovanni or 150, but their prices were doubled and they released the reservations only about a month from embarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family ate at Giovanni's on the Oasis this past Christmas Eve. It was a special menu and very pricey. If I remember correctly you have to pay for the special dinner. It included the regular menu items, plus champagne, petit fours, and lobster tail. It was good but not sure if it was worth the price as we paid for 6 of us. Our wait staff was excellent however and they brought extra items including extra lobster and other appetizers without being asked.

Most likely they are keeping them for onboard booking, as they generally raise prices significanly for holidays.

Never cruised RC at these times but this might be of interest.

We sailed P&O Ventura for the last 2 New years 4 night cruises.

The speciality restaurants​ were not available for New Years eve and we booked for New Years day night.

I kept an eye on this and sure enough a couple of weeks later when they had filled the other nights surprise,surprise they were taking bookings for New Years eve.

I booked this night as well so this might be a cruise line trick to get the other nights booked.

Never cruised RC at these times but this might be of interest.

We sailed P&O Ventura for the last 2 New years 4 night cruises.

The speciality restaurants​ were not available for New Years eve and we booked for New Years day night.

I kept an eye on this and sure enough a couple of weeks later when they had filled the other nights surprise,surprise they were taking bookings for New Years eve.

I booked this night as well so this might be a cruise line trick to get the other nights booked.

No, it's not a trick to get you to book other nights but as others who have cruised at Christmas on Royal have stated its because they charge more for those holiday nights.

No, it's not a trick to get you to book other nights but as others who have cruised at Christmas on Royal have stated its because they charge more for those holiday nights.

Yes, New years eve in the Epicurian restaurant on P&O Ventura was nearly double the price compared to

New Years day night but when i checked the other nights were fully booked before they released New Years eve.Just seemed unusual???.

Graham, RC,Diamond+ member