Misleading Summer Savings Sale

whitecap

The current UK Offer / Promotion is: "Save up to £900 + Free drinks on 2018 Sailings".

I have the new 2018/19 Celebrity brochure and checked out a 14 night cruise (Western Med) on Silhouette in September 2018. The brochure states Balcony cabins from £2199 pp. So with the current offer I expected to find a cheaper price. No. The new online price with the current offer is Balcony cabins from £2749 pp. :confused: How the heck is that an Offer? Not only is there no actual savings but we are also being charged for the Free Drinks!!!

Nothing is ever free, and the advertising is somewhat dubious by suggesting it is possible to make savings too. :(

As a follow up to my original post: Yesterday afternoon I received an email from Celebrity. The email was titled "Summer Savings Event" and stated that there was only three days left. The email advertisement has in capital letter: "SAVINGS FOR EVERYONE UP TO $600 + FREE DRINKS". Further down the email advertisement it states that,

"Plus, when you book an ocean view or higher stateroom, the first two guest each get one free perk:

Classic Beverage Package * Prepaid Tips * Unlimited Wi-Fi * $150 to spend on board".

So I called Celebrity again and spoke to a representative, Jose, and explained my belief that the ad indicates that by booking a Veranda stateroom I would receive "FREE DRINKS" and would also be able to choose 1 Perk. Jose stated that he understood my interpretation but he didn't believe that was what Celebrity was trying to say. At the end of the conversation he agreed that it was a confusing advertisement. Three hours later: I get a call from Celebrity, didn't catch the man's name, who wanted to know if all my questions had been answered in my earlier call with Jose. I explained to him my concern about the advertisement and he took the time to look at it and discuss it with me. At the end he stated that the advertisement was confusing and misleading, that other representatives had similar calls and that because he believed the advertisement to be a concern, he was going to immediately take it to his supervisor.

I post this really for one reason: GREAT JOB CELEBRITY, this is the type of customer service/care that I expect of a major company. I don't know if anything will be done but great job by the Celebrity representatives.

A follow up to my follow up: Moments ago I went back on the Celebrity web site and brought up the Summer Savings deal. The explanation has been changed:

It no longer reads that EVERYONE gets Free Drinks; instead it reads that the First Two Guest get to select 1 Free Perk. Now that is an explanation that makes it very clear and as stated in my first follow up: GREAT JOB CELEBRITY!! :D :D

A follow up to my follow up: Moments ago I went back on the Celebrity web site and brought up the Summer Savings deal. The explanation has been changed:

It no longer reads that EVERYONE gets Free Drinks; instead it reads that the First Two Guest get to select 1 Free Perk. Now that is an explanation that makes it very clear and as stated in my first follow up: GREAT JOB CELEBRITY!! :D :D

They still show 'free drinks' as the advertised special on the mobile site

5b269323ad44ba1cd2200d51a8a0b484.jpg

But yes, once you click on it it says you get to pick one perk. I never read it as anything else but, if some people actually did then this is clearer.

I don't know if this is a US vs UK thing but ever US based company puts out misleading advertisements. The details are always available in the 'fine print'; so that's the first place my eyes go. In the fine print it was plainly clear to me that this was just another phrasing of everyone oceanview and up gets 1 perk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Today is an Xciting day, 5 pages of deals such as:

XcitingJuly%204_zps8oblfoni.png

I tried to book Summit for the July 30th sailing but it was already sold out before the weekend. None of those cabins were available. Why have a sale when there is nothing in inventory to sell?

The most effective way to get a US based company to stop false or misleading advertising is to report them:

1. Go to https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
  2. Click the "Other" button at left, near the bottom
  3. Click the "Click here for more options (page 1 of 2)" link at the lower right
  4. Click on "Travel, Vacation or Timeshares"
  5. Fill out complaint

This video shows steps 2 - 5 above once you get to the FTC Complaint Assistant:

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

Complaining on social media does help alert others to the deceptive practice, but reporting it to the FTC, that does indeed bring complaints against cruise lines, is the only way to get a company to stop. If every misleading ad Celebrity posts is reported by a couple of hundred people they will take notice.

Edited by fshagan
Added video link

The most effective way to get a US based company to stop false or misleading advertising is to report them:

3. Click the "Click here for more options (page 1 of 2)" link at the lower right
  5. Fill out complaint

Complaining on social media does help alert others to the deceptive practice, but reporting it to the FTC, that does indeed bring complaints against cruise lines, is the only way to get a company to stop. If every misleading ad Celebrity posts is reported by a couple of hundred people they will take notice.

I understand that this is always a option however, I would rather work with the cruise line, or other company, to resolve the issue before going to the last resort.

As a follow up to my original post: Yesterday afternoon I received an email from Celebrity. The email was titled "Summer Savings Event" and stated that there was only three days left. The email advertisement has in capital letter: "SAVINGS FOR EVERYONE UP TO $600 + FREE DRINKS". Further down the email advertisement it states that,

"Plus, when you book an ocean view or higher stateroom, the first two guest each get one free perk:

Classic Beverage Package * Prepaid Tips * Unlimited Wi-Fi * $150 to spend on board".

So I called Celebrity again and spoke to a representative, Jose, and explained my belief that the ad indicates that by booking a Veranda stateroom I would receive "FREE DRINKS" and would also be able to choose 1 Perk. Jose stated that he understood my interpretation but he didn't believe that was what Celebrity was trying to say. At the end of the conversation he agreed that it was a .

I post this really for one reason: GREAT JOB CELEBRITY, this is the type of customer service/care that I expect of a major company. I don't know if anything will be done but great job by the Celebrity representatives.

I believe the advertising issue is with the word "Plus" indicating you get free drinks plus something else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a very selfish note: When Celebrity bungles drinks and/or internet in an offer and increases the price to cover the cost plus profit those who receive the perks as part of a Loyalty perk are paying for what they are entitled to get free. This affects those from Elite, where some internet minutes are included to Zeniths. I suspect that this trend will continue as Celebrity moves to more all inclusive.

5. Fill out complaint

.... and we would do that because???

bon voyage

They still show 'free drinks' as the advertised special on the mobile site

5b269323ad44ba1cd2200d51a8a0b484.jpg

But yes, once you click on it it says you get to pick one perk. I never read it as anything else but, if some people actually did then this is clearer.

I don't know if this is a US vs UK thing but ever US based company puts out misleading advertisements. The details are always available in the 'fine print'; so that's the first place my eyes go. In the fine print it was plainly clear to me that this was just another phrasing of everyone oceanview and up gets 1 perk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rated: A+++