Just off Maasdam - a few photos & thoughts

michl8705

Thanks for the review. We will be on the Maasdam in 2018, same itinerary, but in reverse.

On our one previous HAL cruise (Greek isles on the Noordam), we found entertainment by listening to a band and dancing to their music in one of the lounges.

Glad to hear the library is really fantastic. That was one of the high points of our previous HAL cruise.

Thanks for the great photos and review. Quick question. Do know if the ship sails close enough on the St. Lawrence to see the Montmorency Falls from the boat?

We are sailing from Boston to Montreal on July 15th.

Thanks for the great photos and review. Quick question. Do know if the ship sails close enough on the St. Lawrence to see the Montmorency Falls from the boat?

We are sailing from Boston to Montreal on July 15th.

Hello! I don't think it would be close enough, but I don't know for sure.

The captain announced each evening what we could expect to sail by over the next 24 hours. The falls were not mentioned. Also, just from hanging out on the deck and looking out at the landscape while sailing the St. Lawrence, at times we were a bit far from land. You could see it, but only the outline. Other times we were closer and could see houses, cars, etc., but it seems like more often it was just seeing the outline of trees, hills, etc.

If you do see them from the boat be sure to get a photo!

Great report and pictures. We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in November and your picture of the crab legs guarantees that we will be eating dinner in the Pinnacle at least once.

The crab legs were delicious, and it was especially exciting that they were already cracked in half! Super easy to eat.

We got off the Maasdam just this morning from a Montreal to Boston sailing. I thought I'd share a few photos of the ship.

View from Deck 6:

2805tmr.jpg

Foggy evening on Deck 10 aft:

majfo0.jpg

Galley tour, baking area:

fm2b8y.jpg

One of the Mix bars:

s6rk03.jpg

My highlights:

- The food! It was the best I've had on any cruise (I've sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean before)

- Stateroom (ocean view, deck 6) was surprisingly spacious and sparkling clean

- Service was wonderful, particularly our cabin stewards

- The library was great - good selection of books and games.

- The culinary show was fun! However... they are moving to the new America's Test Kitchen I think this next sailing, because there were only 2 shows, both the same day, and the host said it was his last cruise. Would have loved more of these.

- The Ocean Quartet was fantastic. Don't miss them!

- Quebec City and Halifax were my favorite ports.

My lowlights:

- The variety of things to do: there were too many trivia activities and BBC-themed shows. The Windows workshops do not appeal to me at all. Would have loved a better variety.

- Entertainment: the comedian seemed like a great guy and actually had a lovely singing voice. A lot of his jokes were about famous folks from the 50s/60s. As I was born in the late 80s, it was hard for me to catch on and not very funny. The magician was good though! Didn't attend the singing/dancing.

- Syndey, NS. I suppose we should have booked a tour to Cape Breton. We basically just took it as a sea day though after getting back on the boat after an hour. It would be great if instead, they did two nights in one of the larger ports.

I definitely recommend this cruise and this ship! Fantastic time. :)

I got off The Nieuw Amsterdam on July1and they have America's Test Kitchen and I liked it a lot.

Don't forget the embarkation and final ports. Both Boston and Montreal are worth a few days if the have the time. When we sailed on the Maasdam from Boston to Montreal in early June of the year, we stayed three days in Boston and three days in Montreal. Not enough time, Both are wonderful cities!:)

Hello! I don't think it would be close enough, but I don't know for sure.

The captain announced each evening what we could expect to sail by over the next 24 hours. The falls were not mentioned. Also, just from hanging out on the deck and looking out at the landscape while sailing the St. Lawrence, at times we were a bit far from land. You could see it, but only the outline. Other times we were closer and could see houses, cars, etc., but it seems like more often it was just seeing the outline of trees, hills, etc.

If you do see them from the boat be sure to get a photo!

:p

Oh, I don't think we have a good enough camera at whatever the distance to the falls from the boat. But if we could see them through binoculars, that would be nice.

Thank you for these pictures! We will be sailing on the Maasdam on the same itinerary one year from yesterday

And we are sailing one week after you, Boston to Montreal.

And to the OP, thanks for the pictures.

We got off the Maasdam just this morning from a Montreal to Boston sailing. I thought I'd share a few photos of the ship.

View from Deck 6:

2805tmr.jpg

Foggy evening on Deck 10 aft:

majfo0.jpg

Galley tour, baking area:

fm2b8y.jpg

One of the Mix bars:

s6rk03.jpg

My highlights:

- The food! It was the best I've had on any cruise (I've sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean before)

- Stateroom (ocean view, deck 6) was surprisingly spacious and sparkling clean

- Service was wonderful, particularly our cabin stewards

- The library was great - good selection of books and games.

- The culinary show was fun! However... they are moving to the new America's Test Kitchen I think this next sailing, because there were only 2 shows, both the same day, and the host said it was his last cruise. Would have loved more of these.

- The Ocean Quartet was fantastic. Don't miss them!

- Quebec City and Halifax were my favorite ports.

My lowlights:

- The variety of things to do: there were too many trivia activities and BBC-themed shows. The Windows workshops do not appeal to me at all. Would have loved a better variety.

- Entertainment: the comedian seemed like a great guy and actually had a lovely singing voice. A lot of his jokes were about famous folks from the 50s/60s. As I was born in the late 80s, it was hard for me to catch on and not very funny. The magician was good though! Didn't attend the singing/dancing.

- Syndey, NS. I suppose we should have booked a tour to Cape Breton. We basically just took it as a sea day though after getting back on the boat after an hour. It would be great if instead, they did two nights in one of the larger ports.

I definitely recommend this cruise and this ship! Fantastic time. :)

We just returned from the same cruise! Nice photos! We thought the comedian was fantastic, but we are a lot older and got all the jokes, hahaha! The magician was fantastic, really enjoyed that show as well.

Loved the review and really looking forward to sailing on the Maasdam in September from San Diego to Sydney, Australia. Sailed on the Westerdam, Volendam and Noordam before but not the Maasdam. Love the small ships and loved your photos. Many thanks.

We were on the Maasdam last fall for two months sailing from Seattle to Sydney and circumnavigating Australia. We absolutely loved it!! I'd sail on her again any time depending upon the itinerary.

We had America's Test Kitchen on our Volendam Asia and Transpacific crossing, and I actually enjoyed those those more than the old style.

Thanks for the pictures and comments. We are headed out on the Maasdam in a couple of weeks. Sailed on her many years ago - hope we will enjoy it just as well. Glad to hear you liked the food!

Really nice photos, OP. They remind me of our cruise on the same itinerary on the Maasdam a couple years ago. We loved that little ship.

My husband and I were talking while walking through the ship about how, although smaller than all the other ships we'd been on, she has everything they had, only a little smaller. It makes for a nice walk from the bow to the stern rather than a workout. :D I didn't think she looked tired or worn out in any way. She's a beauty.

Thanks for your excellent review.