Madeira

Florry

I'm fairly happy with the trips I'm doing on my upcoming cruise with the exception of Madeira. I've been to Madeira before although I have a feeling it was a short-stop, we went on the cable car, toboggan and walked up and down the front. We are there again for a full day in October, and I've booked a tour 9.30-13.30 to the caves. I have a nagging doubt about this and wonder if we are better doing the market in the morning and gardens in the afternoon, has anyone done the caves and the market if so which would you pick? I've decided against Reid's on account of the dress code. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry I can't help with the comparison as we've never done the caves. We did enjoy the gardens but I wasn't overly impressed with the market - I assume you mean the regular indoor one in Funchal.

One thing we like to do though is catch the local bus to Camara de Lobos (stops are on the opposite side of the road to the waterfront once you have walked round onto the promenade from the port). It's a small but picturesque and quaint fishing village where we have a stroll then have coffee at one of the cafes on the harbourside. It's a pleasant option for a couple of hours in the morning then we return to Funchal. Perhaps it's something which might appeal to you then to see the gardens in the afternoon. I think one of the HoHo buses (red?) includes it in their route but not the other. That's how we first found it bu the local bus service does just as well, is more frequent and cheaper - and you see much of what you would on the HoHo but without the commentary of course.

http://www.madeira-portugal-guide.com/madeira-en/Camara-de-Lobos-Madeira.html

It's only about 15 minutes to get there so might be something you'd consider. Iirc we caught the local bus up there too. I researched the service and stops before we went so it was quite straightforward.

One recommendation is to try the Pastel de Nata - the Portugese custard tarts - if you like that kind of thing. They're small pastries made from flaky pastry with an egg custard filling. They are delicious and common in Portugal, Madeira and the Azores so not hard to find. M&S recently introduced them to their range - I was so pleased to see them (sad isn't it? :D ) but they really didn't come up to the scratch - try the real thing.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Good morning

I would agree with Kruzseeka use the hoho bus. The route I would recommend is from Funchal ( tickets from waterfront) then it goes a little around Funchal before going along the old coast road to Camara de Lobos. Nice sleepy fishing village can I suggest Coral bar on seafront for a drink.

Also hoho bus you can buy an extra in the form of a trip to Cabo Girao where there is a glass floored platform over the cliff with great views. All facilities here toilets cafe and gift shop.

The hoho bus then takes you back down to Camara de Lobos where you then go back to Funchal.

Audio headsets are provided and wi fi can be picked up.

A great way to see Madeira costs about 18 euros for day pass.

Also I agree Pasteis de nat a amazing try the ones from Opan in Funchal a great cheap coffee and cake shop about five branches in Funchal all around the town.

I travel to Madeira a lot as well as cruising any questions ask I will try to help.

The market is interesting enough but for a quick look only. Tourists also get a little pressed to try then buy the islands exotic fruits.

Jus another suggestion to throw into the mix, you can pre book a tour online to go round the Blandys port wine and have a tasting. They have also recently opened a restaurant to the side of Blandys which does a good fixed price lunch of local food or tapas style. As Blandys is in the middle of the town it is an easy walk from the port.

The CR7 museum is open on the waterfront if anyone in your party is into football and wants to see lots of memorabilia.

Sorry haven't done the caves but have been to the market quite a few times. We particularly like the cafe bar on the roof terrace - it's a bit of a secret really as it's never been busy when we've been there. We like to walk round the market and it's definitely best in the morning IMO. They sell a huge variety of things. We've been to the Tropical gardens once but the climb back up to the top is really really steep and we wouldn't do that again.

Like kuruzseeka we took the local bus (not the ho-ho spf did) to Camara De Lobos and loved it. The bus is run by a company called Rodoeste. We got our tickets from their kiosk on the Promenade where you can get a timetable but we'd manage to suss out the timetable before we went. You can also pay on the bus. The following year we took a #7 local bus all the way along the coast to Ribera Grande. We took the fast bus along the coast one way and the slow bus round mountain villages on the way back. It was just spectacular and I can't recommend it highly enough. It was about €5 each way for that.

The following year we took a #7 local bus all the way along the coast to Ribera Grande. We took the fast bus along the coast one way and the slow bus round mountain villages on the way back. It was just spectacular and I can't recommend it highly enough. It was about €5 each way for that.

Making a note of that one tartanexile - sounds like the kind of thing we'd very much enjoy. (Did a similar thing from Soller in Majorca and had a wonderful 'round the houses' or rather 'through the mountains' return trip on the local bus.) Last time we were in Madeira was on the way over to New Orleans - we don't call there in Feb otherwise the #7 bus would already be in the pack of info being collected! Still I'm sure we'll enjoy the Azores - and the tarts are available there too! ;)

Having done the toboggan and cable car and also a tuxki tour of the city last time we booked a private tour to Nun's Valley and Camara de Lobos. We were collected at the ship but got dropped off in town so we could get our custard tarts!

Having been to Funchal a few times on a cruise, the last time we took a taxi tour. €75 for up to four people, now €80 and it was a lovely trip. We did the South West tour to -

- Pico dos Barcelos

- Câmara de Lobos

- Cabo Girão

- Ribeira Brava

4 hours in total

They have other tours as well. Great value and a dedicated taxi for your party.

http://www.taximadeira.com/index.php/tours-cruise-ships

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did the 4 x 4 jeep safari on Madeira. It was an amazing way to see the island and worth every penny. Something completely different and I would recommend that to anyone.

:)

You can spend a pleasant time just trying the local specialities, as Kruzseeka suggested the local tarts are delicious. Apparently they were originally made by the convents to use up a surplus of egg yolks (the egg whites were used to starch wimples).

The local bread bollos de caca is delicious, they serve it warm with garlic butter, it's a bit like a lighter version of a potato bread.

Poncha is one of the local drinks, it a local Spirirt with honey and freshly squeezed citrus fruits. Deceptively mild taste but actually very very strong.

They also do a limpet dish which is served drowned in garlic, really different if you like seafood.

Lots of different fruits to try, I didn't like the custard apples as it is far too sweet but I did like the different passion fruits. One looks like just like a tomato but is fruit, the name escapes me - you will see them everywhere though.

Then of course the ubiquitous port, there are two wine loges in the middle of the town to choose from and you can do a tasting without a tour if you just want to try the different varieties.

I'm fairly happy with the trips I'm doing on my upcoming cruise with the exception of Madeira. I've been to Madeira before although I have a feeling it was a short-stop, we went on the cable car, toboggan and walked up and down the front. We are there again for a full day in October, and I've booked a tour 9.30-13.30 to the caves. I have a nagging doubt about this and wonder if we are better doing the market in the morning and gardens in the afternoon, has anyone done the caves and the market if so which would you pick? I've decided against Reid's on account of the dress code. Thanks all

Thanks for posting this Florry, as I have a couple of questions about Madeira too.

OH and I were there very many years ago and did a P&O excursion. This time we are DIYing (with adult children) and were thinking of visiting the Botanical Gardens and mooching round Funchal town. I have read on Trip Advisor, though, that the Gardens are quite run down, sections are closed and they are very steep, in short not worth the visit. Whilst we're reasonably fit, I don't know that I fancy hiking up vertical slopes in August heat. So my question is: has anyone visited the Gardens recently and are they worth it, or are the Tropical Gardens at Monte a better bet?

I know Blandy's is not open on a Sunday, which is when we are there. Eglesbrech - you mention another lodge in the town centre. Which is this please because I've only seen references to Blandy's and we would love to visit a lodge if possible (OH loves port).

Finally, I have managed to get myself horribly confused regarding the Funchal cable cars. Am I correct in thinking there is the cable car which goes up to Monte (for the church, Tropical Gardens, a museum? and toboggan) and this goes from somewhere along the sea front? Is this walkable from the cruise berth or do you have to get a shuttle/local bus to get there?

The other cable car goes to the Botanical Gardens but the base station isn't on the sea front? How do you get to this and is it far from the cruise berth?

Thank you in advance for clearing things up.

Thanks for posting this Florry, as I have a couple of questions about Madeira too.

OH and I were there very many years ago and did a P&O excursion. This time we are DIYing (with adult children) and were thinking of visiting the Botanical Gardens and mooching round Funchal town. I have read on Trip Advisor, though, that the Gardens are quite run down, sections are closed and they are very steep, in short not worth the visit. Whilst we're reasonably fit, I don't know that I fancy hiking up vertical slopes in August heat. So my question is: has anyone visited the Gardens recently and are they worth it, or are the Tropical Gardens at Monte a better bet?

I know Blandy's is not open on a Sunday, which is when we are there. Eglesbrech - you mention another lodge in the town centre. Which is this please because I've only seen references to Blandy's and we would love to visit a lodge if possible (OH loves port).

Finally, I have managed to get myself horribly confused regarding the Funchal cable cars. Am I correct in thinking there is the cable car which goes up to Monte (for the church, Tropical Gardens, a museum? and toboggan) and this goes from somewhere along the sea front? Is this walkable from the cruise berth or do you have to get a shuttle/local bus to get there?

The other cable car goes to the Botanical Gardens but the base station isn't on the sea front? How do you get to this and is it far from the cruise berth?

Thank you in advance for clearing things up.

There's only one cable car in Funchal - well, as far as I know and I've been there a few times. If you're at the far berth P&O offers a free shuttle into the town centre or if you're feeling energetic it's definitely walkable from the ship. You just walk along the promenade, keeping the sea on your right, till you get to the cable car station. When you get to the top the gardens are just there on your left and the start of the toboggan ride a bit further on. On your way to the cable car, you will see the market about a hundred yards up a wide street so you could have a mooch around there on your way and have a coffee on the roof terrace.

We've only been once to the gardens and wouldn't do it again. They weren't in bad condition a few years ago but my OH finds it difficult to climb hills so he really struggled to get back to the top.

BTW on another subject, kruzseeka, are you doing the cruise to the Caribbean on Ventura? Just noticed you said you were going to The Azores in Feb and so are we on Ventura.

groovechick, sorry I didn't appreciate that you were in on a Sunday, the other one will probably be closed as well. It is the Madeira Wine company Rua Dos Ferreiros 82, 9000 Funchal, Portugal. It in the centre of the town up a side street near the main municipal buildings.

It nothing like as fancy as Blandys, just a few barrels with stools but they will do a Port flight for you.

If the wine lodges are closed most bars have a ressonable stock of port so you could just create your own event. If you walk along towards the fort (in the area with all the painted doors beyond the fruit market) they serve traditional food and drinks.

There's only one cable car in Funchal - well, as far as I know and I've been there a few times. If you're at the far berth P&O offers a free shuttle into the town centre or if you're feeling energetic it's definitely walkable from the ship. You just walk along the promenade, keeping the sea on your right, till you get to the cable car station. When you get to the top the gardens are just there on your left and the start of the toboggan ride a bit further on. On your way to the cable car, you will see the market about a hundred yards up a wide street so you could have a mooch around there on your way and have a coffee on the roof terrace.

Thank you tartanexile, that sounds like a plan, although I have to say DH is not a great stopper-for-coffee-er. Now anything alcofrolic....

groovechick, sorry I didn't appreciate that you were in on a Sunday, the other one will probably be closed as well. It is the Madeira Wine company Rua Dos Ferreiros 82, 9000 Funchal, Portugal. It in the centre of the town up a side street near the main municipal buildings.

It nothing like as fancy as Blandys, just a few barrels with stools but they will do a Port flight for you.

If the wine lodges are closed most bars have a ressonable stock of port so you could just create your own event. If you walk along towards the fort (in the area with all the painted doors beyond the fruit market) they serve traditional food and drinks.

Thank you Eglesbrech. DH would surely be happy to create his own event, and I don't mind the odd port, but a little boring for DD who doesn't like port and DS who is under age. Maybe he could do that while we sunbathe and sip cocktails back on board in the afternoon? :D

Dress code at Reid's does not require a jacket for men. It is smart casual. If you are there on a Sunday you can have a free tour of the gardens before tea. It is really lovely. Ask for a table with a full sea view on the terrace.

Dress code at Reid's does not require a jacket for men. It is smart casual. If you are there on a Sunday you can have a free tour of the gardens before tea. It is really lovely. Ask for a table with a full sea view on the terrace.

We've been to Reid's a few times and my OH wore a short-sleeved shirt- although there were some men wearing jackets. I just wore trousers and a top twice and a dress the other time. We've never done it with P&O but booked with the hotel direct. Like Lodge we've always asked for a table on the terrace overlooking the gardens.

As you can see from all my posts I'm a fan of Madeira and I think The Azores is a poor substitute on the Caribbean round trips these days :(