Is it safe to drive Alligator Alley at night? Fort Myers to Port Everglades

HalfMoon

Flights were cheaper into Fort Myers but our flight doesn't land till 7pm. Assuming we would be on the road at the earliest by 8pm after picking up the car rental, is I-75 safe to drive at night? We would prefer to make the drive to Port Everglades the night before cruise rather the morning of, but if safety is a concern, I rather stay put in Fort Myers area. We are travelling with a baby and a child if it makes any difference. Thanks.

Its a pretty easy road to navigate. Its two lanes going in each direction and pretty much straight the whole way. The more dangerous part about it is how boring it is. It is dark, but there are not many big curves or anything like that. If you are used to driving at all on rural roads then alligator alley will be easy. US-41 is a different story, but I-75 not an issue IMO. But its each person's personal comfort level that matters. I've drive on mountain roads in pitch black before. So I-75 is easy to me.

As I had a house in Naples and a place in Brickell for years, I made that drive weekly. As Flymia said, It's a very easy drive but will be a dark drive. There are 3 rest stops along the way with the middle one being an Native American owned gas station that has restrooms. The other 2 are state owned and will have security at night. You are only on Alligator Alley for about 1 and 15 minutes once you go through the toll booths in Naples and then you hit the east coast so not all the drive will be on dark roads.

My son just did the drive again Friday night leaving Miami at 7;30 pm.

It is a safe drive, just a matter of personal preference as to whether or not you like driving at night.

I have family in Sarasota and we make the drive all the time.

I LOVE driving this road at night! It is so peaceful and so beautiful! The stars over the Everglades are magnificent as there is no light pollution.

Thanks everyone. I think we will make the drive at night. I think reading old posts about driving off into the canal and alligators at the side of the road made me nervous.

Earlier this year, we drove overnight from Toronto to New Jersey, through the curvy roads dark at night with snow squalls so this drive doesn't sound so bad. We can do long and boring no problem. =)

Thanks everyone. I think we will make the drive at night. I think reading old posts about driving off into the canal and alligators at the side of the road made me nervous.

Earlier this year, we drove overnight from Toronto to New Jersey, through the curvy roads dark at night with snow squalls so this drive doesn't sound so bad. We can do long and boring no problem. =)

If it makes you feel any better, it is impossible to either drive into a canal or for any wildlife to get out of the Everglades onto the road. It is national forest and heavily gated to keep humans out and wildlife in. We would hate to lose the rest of the Endangered Florida Panther population by hit and run. The road is fenced entirely from Naples to Fort Lauderdale outskirts.

I'd vote for keeping it simple by spending the night in Fort Meyers. Get your luggage, rent a car and check into a local hotel there. Then have a nice dinner and get a good rest. Do the drive early in the am.

Al' Alley was a lot different in the 80's !!!!!!!

Easy Peasy today for the most part ..... be gassed up and have a good charge on the cell ....

LOL. Restrooms? Nope. Cell? Nope. But we survived. Isn't progress wonderful?

Beautiful drive. Ft Myers is a great, small airport. We landed at 6:30 pm, had our luggage & were in our rental car headed to Miami at 7pm. I even had time to get a coffee. Depending on time of year when you travel it could still be light out

Sent from my iPad using Forums