Different Places/Ways to book your cruise

CTOM

We have also used the website where you tender out the cruise.

You list your ship, date, and cabin class. Then wait for various agencies to bid for your business based on lowest quote. You need to be careful because there is one agency that always seems to low ball. When you call the price has mysteriously vanished and the upsell begins. We simply ignore them now.

What is interesting is that the price differences between agencies can be substantial as can their pricing and the cruise line web price.

I have discovered that, as well. I submitted requests for offers for the 2018 Grand Asia and received substantially different prices, all well below HAL's published fare - except for one who didn't seem to have a firm grasp on the price to begin with. I chose a mid one, but I'm not sure why. I had dealt satisfactorily with the lower priced agencies. I must have been tired!

Yes, I understand and agree with that. What I don't understand is first booking with HAL and then transferring it to a TA. We shop around with the TA's, getting different quotes without having to go through HAL first. Will the TA's reduce your cruise price from HAL's published fare if you give them the reservation?

Depends on the agency, I think. The agency I have used does give a "frequent customer" discount, usually in the form of $25 to 50 pp off the HAL list pricing.

I cannot understand paying full list to the cruise line or to a TA/agency when there are so many other booking channels to use that provide much better pricing and, from our perspective, equally good service.

If you use the big box store credit card, you get 3% cash back at year end and travel cancellation insurance.

Please tell me more about the cancellation insurance. I booked with them recently for the first time, transferring the booking from HAL as we booked onboard initially. I was pleased with their extras and did buy trip and health care insurance through them as they suggested but it was not free. I paid with their credit card. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Please tell me more about the cancellation insurance. I booked with them recently for the first time, transferring the booking from HAL as we booked onboard initially. I was pleased with their extras and did buy trip and health care insurance through them as they suggested but it was not free. I paid with their credit card. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Paying with the big-box store credit card, no matter who you booked the cruise through, gets you some trip interruption and baggage delay insurance, not cancellation or medical. It also gets you a 3% rebate because it falls under their "travel" category on their rebate schedule. There are a couple of other insurances the card offers, I think maybe an Accidental death and dismemberment coverage too if you paid the entire cost of the travel with the card, and rental car insurance if that applies. m--

Depends on the agency, I think. The agency I have used does give a "frequent customer" discount, usually in the form of $25 to 50 pp off the HAL list pricing.

That is not a good discount, I am afraid. The online TA's that we use give a 10 - 12% discount. You might want to try one of them.

Paying with the big-box store credit card, no matter who you booked the cruise through, gets you some trip interruption and baggage delay insurance, not cancellation or medical. It also gets you a 3% rebate because it falls under their "travel" category on their rebate schedule. There are a couple of other insurances the card offers, I think maybe an Accidental death and dismemberment coverage too if you paid the entire cost of the travel with the card, and rental car insurance if that applies. m--

That is my understanding, as well. We will buy HAL's CCP at the time of final payment, and purchase a Med-Jet policy to supplement the cancellation policy We are fortunate to have a medical policy that is world-wide.

BTW, the TA with whom we just booked referred us to an Allianz cancellation (but not a "for any reason") policy which can be purchased at the time of final payment. She referred to it as "their" policy, so I guess that TA may have a special arrangement with Allianz?

What is a big box store??

Betsy

I agree! For 20 years I used a brick and mortar agency of which travel was one part of the business. When the agent retired she recommended another agent in the office which turned out to be bad experience. I went to a big box as I know exactly what I want. It has been a much better, but you still need to monitor the booking.

To OP:welcome to Cruise Critic, and I think you will be pleased with HAL for Alaska....we are about to go for the 5th time with HAL!

Karen

That is not a good discount, I am afraid. The online TA's that we use give a 10 - 12% discount. You might want to try one of them.

Of course. Informational only.

I don't book with this outfit unless they have good packages, which save me a really significant amount.

That is my understanding, as well. We will buy HAL's CCP at the time of final payment, and purchase a Med-Jet policy to supplement the cancellation policy We are fortunate to have a medical policy that is world-wide.

BTW, the TA with whom we just booked referred us to an Allianz cancellation (but not a "for any reason") policy which can be purchased at the time of final payment. She referred to it as "their" policy, so I guess that TA may have a special arrangement with Allianz?

I spent a lot of time for the last cruise pricing out travel insurance, using the exact same specs for each company. The one our TA recommended was $4.00 more than DOUBLE the others. I couldn't believe it! Caveat emptor!

I spent a lot of time for the last cruise pricing out travel insurance, using the exact same specs for each company. The one our TA recommended was $4.00 more than DOUBLE the others. I couldn't believe it! Caveat emptor!

Interesting. The Allianz policy our TA referred us to is more expensive than HAL's CCP. In all fairness, however, the Allianz was more encompassing, while the CCP is primarily a cancel for any reason policy, which is what we need.

Another newbie question here as we're about to book our first cruise ever (for June 2018). We started at HAL's site, but then found a little bit cheaper rate by going to aa.com/cruises (American Airlines has a cruise agency that I never knew about) plus some AA bonus miles.

We don't have a regular travel agent, so we contacted one in our neighborhood. We said we know nothing about cruises, but we prefer HAL and here's our dates. She came back with similar prices, but there was an offer where the gratuities would be included.

So the first question is to ask our Cruise Critic friends how do you typically book your cruises, and do you hunt around for the best prices and best bonus offers, etc., before actually booking? Can you call HAL and ask them to match certain offers that you saw elsewhere?

We're looking at an Alaska cruise next June, and I read on another board that it's better to wait a while longer before booking, but others said to book asap for the best price and stateroom availability.

Any help is much appreciated.

The next cruise I'm planning is for 12 days from Rome to Venice. I've booked direct with HAL before, but this time I'm thinking of booking with a membership store that will give $800 shipboard credit, plus if I use their money back card I get 3% cash back. I think it's a good deal.

Danny

We book on the ship or wherever we see a deal. I then transfer it to my sister's agency where they keep up with of any perks or price drops. She gets the commission. You can take advantage of any deals that come up until your final payment due date even if you have paid.

Betsy

We're not allowed to mention travel agencies by name here on CC so we use the term "big box store" to refer to a company, originating near Seattle, which sells, among many other things, $1.50 hot dogs. They also have a travel agency for their members who offer OBC for cruise bookings. They have stores in many locations in North America.

We're looking at an Alaska cruise next June, and I read on another board that it's better to wait a while longer before booking, but others said to book asap for the best price and stateroom availability.

Any help is much appreciated.

1. We're not allowed to name a specific agency. I use one that gives $ to my son's college saving account.

2. Waiting only works for those who have the availability... I work & so I have to ask for time off. Therefore, I book early during a time that won't be frowned upon. Also I like to pay over time. When I see the price go down or the perks change, I can make those changes to my booking. (I changed from view & verandah to Explore 4 on my cruise to Alaska & had a price reduction next week.)

Betsy

I'll tell you next week on Amsterdam.;p (I'll probably be the only one with an 8 year old boy & as of right now I plan on attending the meet & greet with him. He needs to practice responding with his name who asked, to salutations, & the like.)

Thanks!

No, some credit cards have insurance but not all so it is best to be safest. You can explore your credit cards' benefits.