Late arriving flight questions

I get in about 10:30 from Chicago to Seattle. (2 hours ahead for me)

I had thought hotels by the airport would be a cheap place to crash after a long day at work and then flying. However hotels are about $200.

I am not sure I want to transit into the city and then get into the hotel. However it might be really nice to just be there in the morning.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you're asking whether arriving on embarkation day is a good idea, my advice would be a definite NO! Considering the manner in which airlines are now operating...they seem to look for reasons to delay or cancel a flight...it's best to arrive at least one day prior to embarkation.

Don't jeopardize your cruise vacation by depending on airline performance...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I had thought hotels by the airport would be a cheap place to crash after a long day at work and then flying. However hotels are about $200.

I am not sure I want to transit into the city and then get into the hotel. However it might be really nice to just be there in the morning.

We've used the Comfort Inn and Suites SeaTac Airport before. It ain't the Ritz, but it does the job with a breakfast included. It's about $140 and has an airport shuttle. You'll need to pay for their shuttle to the cruise port in the morning or catch a cab.

Jim

Thank you in advance!

10:30PM the night before the cruise? I think you are asking if you should spend the extra money to get a hotel near the pier. Only you can determine this.

If you're asking whether arriving on embarkation day is a good idea, my advice would be a definite NO! Considering the manner in which airlines are now operating...they seem to look for reasons to delay or cancel a flight...it's best to arrive at least one day prior to embarkation.

Don't jeopardize your cruise vacation by depending on airline performance...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Yes, I am getting in the night before. I've cruised enough to know better. ;)

The light rail is a great way to get into town. Also be aware there are few if any hotels really near Pier 91 in Seattle so taking transportation to the ship will be required. Good luck on your cruise and enjoy it fully.

We chose to stay at the airport but we're traveling with kids and due in late. We were even later than expected - they took the plane apart in Chicago - and we weren't even certain we were going to make it to Portland to catch our connecting flight to Chicago.

With the time change and resting up we were happy to just board the cruise by noon and didn't mess with puttering around Seattle until our return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would book a hotel where you can walk to a cvs or walgreens. I do not know of any by the airport. Also do not know if there are any downtown either. I am staying downtown tomorrow and Saturday and will ask hotel what the nearest store within walking distance. This time of year is cruise season; so all the hotels jack their prices. Between Seattle and Vancouver I believe there are 10 ships sailing Alaska

I would book a hotel where you can walk to a cvs or walgreens. I do not know of any by the airport. Also do not know if there are any downtown either. I am staying downtown tomorrow and Saturday and will ask hotel what the nearest store within walking distance. This time of year is cruise season; so all the hotels jack their prices. Between Seattle and Vancouver I believe there are 10 ships sailing Alaska

Thank you for asking, that is very, very kind of you.

If you get into the Seattle airport around 10:30PM, then if you stayed in town, you would not get to whatever hotel you would book (and they are not inexpensive), until around midnight at the earliest. The next day you can get your hotel concierge to get you a cab to Pier 91 and that takes about 1/2 hour or so depending on traffic. You want to get to the pier around 10:30-11:00AM to get onboard and be able to have a nice lunch in the dining room or buffet if you like a lot of people(grin) and look around the ship.

My point is you would not really have time to walk around the city and even go to a local Walgreen's etc. to get sunscreen. If you don't care about lunch on ship, etc. then you would have time to walk to a store and see alittle of the city. Any way you go, have a great cruise!

There are several drugstores around town to get your sunscreen. Use google maps and zoom in and look around. You will see Walgreen's etc on the map for their various locations.

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands
More info.

I'll check there, thanks. Thoughts on taking the light rail in from the airport? We won't have a ton of bags.

Link is good up to a certain point - it's intended to be commuter transport so you may have to hunt for the bike storage sections of the cars to find a spot for your bags. Do also consider buying an ORCA card ($5) depending on how much transit you plan to use - you then load money onto the card and tap it on/off the train (or technically into and out of the stations) and onto buses (but not off the buses). Transfers then become free or net zero, so if you take a bus for $2.75 then hop on the Link for $3.00, you pay $3.00 not $5.75. I think that's valid within 90 or 120 minutes of your previous tap of the ORCA card. It is a one-card-per-person thing though, so you'd need one ORCA for each person in your party. The buses do open up a ton of options; you could easily take the Link into downtown then catch a few different bus options to take you to Pier 91. Check out the "Trip Planner" app from King County Metro, or check their website at http://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro.aspx

We used Link and the bus for a two-night trip (supposed to be Amtrak to Vancouver and Ruby Princess back to Seattle, but ended up being Link to the airport and a rental car to Vancouver, then Ruby Princess back), and Link and the buses were easy. Some folks with more suitcases did struggle on the bus though.

Link is good up to a certain point - it's intended to be commuter transport so you may have to hunt for the bike storage sections of the cars to find a spot for your bags. Do also consider buying an ORCA card ($5) depending on how much transit you plan to use - you then load money onto the card and tap it on/off the train (or technically into and out of the stations) and onto buses (but not off the buses). Transfers then become free or net zero, so if you take a bus for $2.75 then hop on the Link for $3.00, you pay $3.00 not $5.75. I think that's valid within 90 or 120 minutes of your previous tap of the ORCA card. It is a one-card-per-person thing though, so you'd need one ORCA for each person in your party. The buses do open up a ton of options; you could easily take the Link into downtown then catch a few different bus options to take you to Pier 91. Check out the "Trip Planner" app from King County Metro, or check their website at http://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro.aspx

We used Link and the bus for a two-night trip (supposed to be Amtrak to Vancouver and Ruby Princess back to Seattle, but ended up being Link to the airport and a rental car to Vancouver, then Ruby Princess back), and Link and the buses were easy. Some folks with more suitcases did struggle on the bus though.

Thanks! That is super helpful! We will only have a backpack and small carry-on. I am hard core minimalist packing queen!!

Right now I'm considering taking Link to Westlake and seeing Pike's place and then taking an Uber/bus from there. I see there is shopping and a Walgreens in that area. Then I can grab my beloved cans of soda that I can't get on the ship, sunscreen, and maybe a bottle of wine for the room. I think I can grab room by the airport from a friend with an employee rate with an airport shuttle. I will be up going really early since I will be up early due to time change.

Thank you in advance!

We usually stay at Silver Cloud Hotels in Seattle.

The 2 best we have found are Lake Union which had a free shuttle to the pier and the Stadium location which also had a shuttle. Their shuttles will also take you downtown for free.

Both are convenient to downtown.

No airport shuttle though.

www.silvercloud.com

You would probably be hard pressed to find a hotel downtown in Seattle that would be less expensive than the ones by the airport. I was looking for one for my friend this summer but with all the cruiseships in Seattle now, there was not much that was under $400 a night.

After working and then flying all evening, I would hunker down at a hotel by the airport, get some sleep and be fresh to board the ship the next day. And ... you may save a little money by using the light rail into town, buying the stuff you need but then you will still need to get a cab down to the pier and now your savings are pretty much gone. I would just buy anything I needed that I didn't carry with me on the ship. People state those prices are outrageous but you may end up spending $10 more but for the convenience, it may be worth it. If there is stuff you won't need right away, you can always try to buy those items in one of your ports of call instead of getting them in Seattle.

If you still decide to tour Seattle / Pikes Market, it is such an awesome city ... but not so fun when hauling your luggage along with you ... even when you are a light packer. We last year, we ended up hooking up with someone on the roll call and shared an Uber, as we are light packers as well and the ride there was next to nothing when split between two couples. Great thing is, the driver even stopped at a grocery store for us about halfway there to allow us to go in to buy some wine and waters .. .no extra charge! Wow!! We really lucked out on that one. We knew ahead of time that we were going to ask him to make the extra stop (and we tipped him for it) so took an extra bag that was strong so we could carry our beverages onboard.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

You would probably be hard pressed to find a hotel downtown in Seattle that would be less expensive than the ones by the airport. I was looking for one for my friend this summer but with all the cruiseships in Seattle now, there was not much that was under $400 a night.

After working and then flying all evening, I would hunker down at a hotel by the airport, get some sleep and be fresh to board the ship the next day. And ... you may save a little money by using the light rail into town, buying the stuff you need but then you will still need to get a cab down to the pier and now your savings are pretty much gone. I would just buy anything I needed that I didn't carry with me on the ship. People state those prices are outrageous but you may end up spending $10 more but for the convenience, it may be worth it. If there is stuff you won't need right away, you can always try to buy those items in one of your ports of call instead of getting them in Seattle.

If you still decide to tour Seattle / Pikes Market, it is such an awesome city ... but not so fun when hauling your luggage along with you ... even when you are a light packer. We last year, we ended up hooking up with someone on the roll call and shared an Uber, as we are light packers as well and the ride there was next to nothing when split between two couples. Great thing is, the driver even stopped at a grocery store for us about halfway there to allow us to go in to buy some wine and waters .. .no extra charge! Wow!! We really lucked out on that one. We knew ahead of time that we were going to ask him to make the extra stop (and we tipped him for it) so took an extra bag that was strong so we could carry our beverages onboard.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Thanks for the information! I think I will stay in Renton and get sundries at Fred Meyer. I was able to grab a hotel for $139 due to a friend who got me an employee discount. I'm still sitting on the fence with the rail. I like an adventure, so I might just do it for that reason alone. [emoji13] I would like my son to see some of town, though we will have time to do a little touring after.

I agree that with some items it's better to just pay the convience fee with the cruise line, but I want to pick up a few bottles of sunscreen as I'm super pale and all of my excursions are outdoors! I'll also need it when I'm on deck. Or someone will mistake me for a lobster dinner!!!

Thanks for the information! I think I will stay in Renton and get sundries at Fred Meyer. I was able to grab a hotel for $139 due to a friend who got me an employee discount. I'm still sitting on the fence with the rail. I like an adventure, so I might just do it for that reason alone. [emoji13] I would like my son to see some of town, though we will have time to do a little touring after.

I agree that with some items it's better to just pay the convience fee with the cruise line, but I want to pick up a few bottles of sunscreen as I'm super pale and all of my excursions are outdoors! I'll also need it when I'm on deck. Or someone will mistake me for a lobster dinner!!!

That's a better idea in my opinion. And ... if you do have time after the cruise to tour Seattle a little bit, that would probably be a lot easier. The City of Seattle is now picking up the costs for luggage valet (or whatever it is called on Princess) ... so maybe you can check your carry on luggage for no charge and then not have to carry that extra bag all over town when you do your touring. Depending on your flight specifics, you may be able to take advantage of this. You put your luggage to be checked just outside your cabin door at night with specific tags and the next time you see it will be in your destination airport. It works like a charm!! That way, it wouldn't be a hassle at all to take the light rail back to the airport.

And, I bought some excellent sunscreen (Australian Gold) onboard an NCL ship once because I ran out of what I had bought. Now, I always use that brand because it is so wonderful ... really kept me from getting a sunburn, feels so nice on my skin and doesn't have a strong smell. I only paid about $3 more than I would here at home ... and no tax. Because we are elite on Princess, I also get a bit of a discount in the shops. They have a little sundries shop where you can get just about anything. But, your stop at Fred Meyer will probably offer you a better deal ... and great price on the room!! Priceless ... have fun!!

PS ... just one more thought ... Princess has a daily happy hour (x2), buy one, get one for $1. It's a great deal. My nephews, that were only 20 years old at the time, were allowed to join us. While it is in a bar, they never really had a problem with them being in there. They could only order the no alcohol drinks. Not sure how old your son is, but maybe he would be able to join you as well. If not, the no alcohol drinks were also included .. and you could take them outside of the bar to enjoy them as well.

Hey ... I also used to work in Informatics before I retired.

Curious, why Renton?

IMO....Kind of an odd choice in relation to downtown and the pier.

Curious, why Renton?

Close to airport! Airport shuttle, free breakfast, and close to local shopping....and it's 139 (Springhill Suites). It's 5 miles from the airport. We get in late and we will be up early because we are early risers at home.

I'll take the shuttle back to the airport after running to Fred Meyer. At that point we will either do light rail or shuttle to the city/port in the morning from there. I'm still mulling that.

Curious, why Renton?

I can't justify $400+ to stay in the city when I won't get there until midnight or later. Too much wasted money when I'm trying to pay for my son's college!!!

If you get into the Seattle airport around 10:30PM, then if you stayed in town, you would not get to whatever hotel you would book (and they are not inexpensive), until around midnight at the earliest. The next day you can get your hotel concierge to get you a cab to Pier 91 and that takes about 1/2 hour or so depending on traffic. You want to get to the pier around 10:30-11:00AM to get onboard and be able to have a nice lunch in the dining room or buffet if you like a lot of people(grin) and look around the ship.

My point is you would not really have time to walk around the city and even go to a local Walgreen's etc. to get sunscreen. If you don't care about lunch on ship, etc. then you would have time to walk to a store and see alittle of the city. Any way you go, have a great cruise!

There are several drugstores around town to get your sunscreen. Use google maps and zoom in and look around. You will see Walgreen's etc on the map for their various locations.

Pooh

Thank you