Oceania Cruise line - Egyptian ports of call

mswoody50

Looking to book a cruise with Oceania through the Suez Canal in 2019. Oceania is saying that they will be calling into 2 Egyptian ports. Did anyone cruise with them 2018 in this region and did you call into any Egyptian ports?. We cruised in 2016 with them just to go to Egypt and the Egyptian ports were cancelled on day of departure. Just do not want to get caught again. TIA

Your question asks if anyone cruise with them in 2018. 2018 is next year. Did you mean to ask about 2018.

One thing I will tell you is that the past means nothing.

There is no guarantee in this world that we live in that in 2019 something could happen to cause one or both ports to be dropped.

Keith

It will all depend on the conditions at the time of our cruise. We have had several ports in Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia canceled in recent years. Other times we have made the calls in these places. Some of the cancellations were announced well before sailing, while others were after we sailed.

Cruise lines are always very conservative in their decisions to cancel or change ports, I have found.

The philosophy I go by is: Don't book a cruise if a single port or country is overwhelmingly important for you. Better to take a land tour. Itineraries can and do change for a lot of reasons, but with places like Egypt, Israel, even Turkey now, there is a higher chance that the ports will be changed.

better to ask on the Oceania forum

But if you really want to see Egypt go on a land trip

Ships will cancel those ports if any unrest in the areas

No one can give you their experience for 2018 unless they have a time machine

There is absolutely no way to anticipate now if the ports will be canceled. If anything becomes more volatile between now and sailing they may change the itinerary. Even if everything is kosher on the day you depart, mechanical or weather issues could derail the ports. If you are taking the trip specifically to see Egypt, don't take a cruise, take a land trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were supposed to be in 2 ports in Egypt but 1 port was cancelled due to current local situation at that time. But we did an overnight stay in that 1 Egyptian port.

So it is possible that ports may be cancelled but won't know the situation in 2019 to warrant any cancellation.

Thank you for the information. I understand cruise ships cancel ports if problems arise. I just wanted to know if ship were calling once again into Egypt ports. This has been answered. Wanted to check that the companies were not advertising Egypt just to fill cruises then cancelling once the cruise started .

Wanted to check that the companies were not advertising Egypt just to fill cruises then cancelling once the cruise started .

Most cruise lines do their schedules up years in advance it is pretty hard to keep up with which Countries may have unrest , erupting volcanos, earthquakes etc by the time the cruise rolls around

The Country could be fine this month then have unrest the next or a year from now

The cruise lines take a chance that they will make to to some of these ports

If seeing a particular place/Country is important to you ..do not go via a cruise ship

Do a land trip